DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Went to see Toy Story on Saturday. I thought it was tremendous. Maybe even better than #3 for me and that's saying something. Took a little while to get going but I really liked the new characters and the last 20-30 minutes were captivating. I was choked up at the end. Pixar really are brilliant.

I know there was a sense that it was a film that didn't need making but I don't think any film needs making. I was worried this wouldn't like up to the other 3 but it easily did.

• Paid Members
On 6/22/2019 at 10:16 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

So the Toy Story code is 3241.

The new one is great but I had a couple of big problems with it. The new characters are excellent though and the central plot is possibly the best in the series.

I think 1 might still be my favourite. Certainly the one I've watched and loved the most. I'm going 1432. Might switch 4 and 3 over time. To be honest, I'd give them all 10/10 so ranking them is hard.

Realised on Saturday I've seen all 4 at the cinema. I'm not a huge cinema goer so that's pretty impressive for me. I was 15 when I saw the first one and I'd only been 4/5 times by that point. Kindergarten Cop (twice), Home Alone 2, one of the 3 ninja kids films and Hocus Pocus (if that came out before Toy Story). Questionable taste.

Snogged a girl in the cemetary after 3 ninja kids though. Asked her out too. She said no. Questionable snogger.

Is it @DEF on here who watches random 80's cheap horror films? Every now and again I get reminded of some film I watched as a kid in the early 90's, the only thing I can remember is a brain in a jar ( of a mob boss or gangster maybe ) what talks. It just randomly pops up in my head and the only bit I can remember is a gang heavy walking in a room carrying said jar.

Random as fuck I know but every time I remember it and try and google it it just brings up Man With 2 Brains which certainly isnt it, just got reminded about it again after watching a Basket Case review

Edited by Kamaras-Tash

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Is it @DEF on here who watches random 80's cheap horror films? Every now and again I get reminded of some film I watched as a kid in the early 90's, the only thing I can remember is a brain in a jar ( of a mob boss or gangster maybe ) what talks. It just randomly pops up in my head and the only bit I can remember is a gang heavy walking in a room carrying said jar.

Random as fuck I know but every time I remember it and try and google it it just brings up Man With 2 Brains which certainly isnt it, just got reminded about it again after watching a Basket Case review

I certainly love me some 80s horror. That's not springing to mind but I'll keep an eye out.

• Awards Moderator

We saw Yesterday Yesterday. It’s got logic holes you could Drive My Car through, and one scene near The End will make you think “ooof... I’m not sure THAT was necessary”, but while you’re watching it you can excuse those Because it’s just so likeable and charming and whenever I hear most of those songs I Feel Fine. Also it’s got Lily James in it, And I Love Her.

• Paid Members

Watched The Negotiator last night, first time in an age. Still a really good thriller, great bunch of character actors in it too - David Morse, John Spencer, Dean Norris and The Great JT Walsh. Oh yeah.

Also caught Superbad on the telly again. Absolutely as funny as fuck, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen haven't done anything else nearly as funny as it.

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Yesterday, and that scene

with Carlyle as Lennon, made the movie

but on the same hand, I can see why people deemed it inappropriate and unnecessary, especially if you're a fan of The Beatles' music. I thought it relevant to the movie and found myself curious about 'what would happen if...' throughout, so that was great for me, personally.

I shouldn't have enjoyed this movie at all, as I'm not into these sort of movies or a fan of The Beatles, but Tamwar from Eastenders is so utterly charming, I couldn't help but enjoy it. And that's nice.

28 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Watched The Negotiator last night, first time in an age. Still a really good thriller, great bunch of character actors in it too - David Morse, John Spencer, Dean Norris and The Great JT Walsh. Oh yeah.

Also caught Superbad on the telly again. Absolutely as funny as fuck, Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen haven't done anything else nearly as funny as it.

JT Walsh in Breakdown is so fucking good.

What an incredibly underrated/ignored film. 

• Awards Moderator
53 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Rough Night

Rough film. I’ll watch any old shit with Scarlett Johansson in it, but this was inexcusable. Just absolute dross.

@HarmonicGenerator Can you confirm that the last line of the plot on the Yesterday Wikipedia page is true. If so, genuinely sounds like the worst thing ever.

I can confirm that sentence is correct, but it’s not like it’s part of the plot. It’s a throwaway gag - one of several throughout the film that follow a similar idea - and it works in that context. It made me laugh, anyway!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Rough Night

Rough film. I’ll watch any old shit with Scarlett Johansson in it, but this was inexcusable. Just absolute dross.

@HarmonicGenerator Can you confirm that the last line of the plot on the Yesterday Wikipedia page is true. If so, genuinely sounds like the worst thing ever.

I saw Rough Night on a plane. It had Phil Dunphy in it as well, so it automatically gets 2 stars. It was fine for what it was, certainly not the worst female led comedy I have seen.

• Paid Members

8 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Bugger me. It's obvious now you say it but I hadn't twigged that's who it was.

I was stumped as to who it was for the first while - not to the point of irritation, but I knew I knew the chap from somewhere - and the missus goes "Is that Tamwar?" and then I found myself really enjoying the movie more as a result, because he's just so lovably, awkward. You just want to stare at him so he can say "What? What are you staring at?"

Edited by Scott Malbranque