DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

The King of Kong - A documentary charting the story of one man’s quest to break the world record score in Donkey Kong. It’s great and I highly recommend it, but it’s also absolutely infuriating. The less you know going in, the better so I’ll end my post with an utterly unconvincing ‘c’mon guys, trust me! Give it a go.’

4 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The director hasn't done anything else nearly as good (watched both Mesrine films last week, for instance, 

Shit! Forgot he made them as well!  @RedRooster King Billy is a hero in these parts, he was in my sig back when we had them! Such a great documentary. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The King of Kong - A documentary charting the story of one man’s quest to break the world record score in Donkey Kong. It’s great and I highly recommend it, but it’s also absolutely infuriating. The less you know going in, the better so I’ll end my post with an utterly unconvincing ‘c’mon guys, trust me! Give it a go.’

I dont want to spoil anything for anyone who hasn't seen it but there were some recent developments with Billy's legacy you should look up if you want to follow the saga.

Eighth Grade

Thought it was okay. Didn't understand the amount of hype that it got though really. Just a fairly average coming of age story with some decent acting from the kids which to be honest I found infuriating for the first half of the movie. Good, but nothing spectacular. Gucci!

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Watched the Maradona film earlier. It’s really good. But I was a bit baffled as to why they skipped his stint at Barcelona (it was referenced, vaguely) and then his post-‘92 career, after the drugs ban.

Indeed. It's about two hours of doc, but they could easily get another two out of his life. I was disappointed too they skipped right to 2004 and fat Diego.

Anyway, it's good watch. Maradona is just an utterly compelling man, so it takes a right hack not to get a good watch out of his life. They are very kind to not show some of thd worst footage that's out there of him being off his tits.

The new Martin Scorsese Dylan documentary is much better. I'm not really much of a fan (his voice is mostly appalling), but it's got a lovely blend of fact, myth and general bollocks. It's strength is it's surprisingly very funny, with Bob clearly having a good time playing along and poking fun at his own story.

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ll just call you a cunt for cunts sake. Let you and your clique have your fun. Because everyone had to let Devon be the main man. 

The clique days are over. Just because several people don't like you it doesn't mean they have to be in league with each other.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

I have no interest in the film but Asif Kapadia gave a really interesting interview about it on the Kermode and Mayo show this past week:

I loved Senna, thought Amy was ok but I’ll probably check it out once it’s on home release. Thanks for the link though, was good that

• Paid Members

I know there are lots of Tilda Swinton fans on here, so you should check out Julia. Rewatched it last night and it's excellent. She has amazing range as an actress, compare and contrast this to Snowpiercer. Well worth finding.

43 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Tilda Swinton's cameo in Trainwreck was amazing because I didn't even recognize her in it. I can't recommend the film though 

Have you seen the "remake" of Suspiria with her in? I didn't recognise her as playing the other character until it was pointed out to me.