DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I quite liked Cars 3. I've seen all of them more times than I'd care to guess due to my two sons being obsessed with the films when they first came out. The second one is complete dogshit but the third is at least a nice logical twist on the original.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Don’t Be A Menace To South Central Whilst Drinking Your Juice In The Hood

Along with Half Baked and CB4, this was 18 year old stoner Bacons go to “comedy”. 

This is absolute dog shit. Not a single scene raised a smile from me. A moment of weakness after I watched Boyz N The Hood the other night, which is still and will always be in my top 5 of all time. Crenshaw Mafia 4 Lyfe 

I hope Fear of a Black Hat is still good, if you haven't seen that one I think it's your bag.

19 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I hope Fear of a Black Hat is still good, if you haven't seen that one I think it's your bag.

Haven’t seen it for years. Now you’ve mentioned it, I’ll try and find it and watch in the next few days. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I quite liked Cars 3. I've seen all of them more times than I'd care to guess due to my two sons being obsessed with the films when they first came out. The second one is complete dogshit but the third is at least a nice logical twist on the original.

id argue its the best of an awful trilogy

• Paid Members

Cars is fucking brilliant. Story is great, characters are great, moral is lovely, animation is magnificent, score is brilliant, attention to detail is incredible. Surely no-one is stupid enough not to love it?

The second one is dire. Like different people made it.

I like the third one. It's nowhere near as good as the first but far, far better than the second. If the series had just been those two, it'd be excellent.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Don’t Be A Menace To South Central Whilst Drinking Your Juice In The Hood

Along with Half Baked and CB4, this was 18 year old stoner Bacons go to “comedy”. 

This is absolute dog shit. Not a single scene raised a smile from me. A moment of weakness after I watched Boyz N The Hood the other night, which is still and will always be in my top 5 of all time. Crenshaw Mafia 4 Lyfe 

It's very Wayans Brothers. I enjoyed it, but that's mainly because I watched it in my late teens/early 20s when I found that sort of humour funny. Doesn't hold up at all now (although I still laugh guiltily at the "nuclear holocaust" of "Hiroshima and N*ggasaki".

• Paid Members

I've seen scenes from I'm Gonna Git You Sucka ("How much for one rib?") in the last few years and they still made me laugh, but I'd be wary of watching the whole thing again. Somethings are best left in adolescence. 

• Awards Moderator
13 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Cars is fucking brilliant. Story is great, characters are great, moral is lovely, animation is magnificent, score is brilliant, attention to detail is incredible. Surely no-one is stupid enough not to love it?

The second one is dire. Like different people made it.

I like the third one. It's nowhere near as good as the first but far, far better than the second. If the series had just been those two, it'd be excellent.

I really like the first Cars as well. Doesn’t get the love it should. Cars 2 is bottom of my Pixar rankings. Cars 3 is the only one of their films I’ve never seen ... how quickly should I rectify this?

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I really like the first Cars as well. Doesn’t get the love it should. Cars 2 is bottom of my Pixar rankings. Cars 3 is the only one of their films I’ve never seen ... how quickly should I rectify this?

You'll have seen many worse Pixar films than Cars 3, I guarantee. Especially if you liked the first one. The third one feels like a proper sequel but it's not as good.

I didn't realise all the people didn't adore Cars. I think it's top 5 Pixar along with Up and the three Toy Storys.

• Paid Members

How does it work with Disney and Pixar? I thought Pixar were doing their 3D animation exclusively, but then Disney went and did Frozen, Tangled, Brave and Moana. Brave was particularly confusing, as it was marketed as both.

Basically, how does Disney decide what's made under their own aegis, or under Pixar's (or both)?

• Paid Members

Is it a fairly standard story (Frozen, Moana, Beauty and the Beast). If so, Disney.

Does it have a premise which shouldn't work on paper (Up, Inside Out, Cars, Wall-E) then it's Pixar. They fucked up by making Brave, definitely should have been a Disney film

• Paid Members

I bloody loved Moana - didn't feel like a "standard" story at all. Unless you mean "conflict introduced, overcome and resolved", in which case that's a large number of films. But for me, it was a load of fun, lots of silliness, great performance from The Rock, good soundtrack, and the scene with the Kokamora is one of my favourites in animation ever.