DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Urgh. Reese Witherspoon is an instant 'do not watch this film' for me.

I'm not a fan either. I thought Election was crap and I slept through Legally Blonde. The only time I've really liked her was in Mud and probably because she only gets a comparatively small role.

1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah, I'm not saying she's a bad actor. Just that she seems to act exclusively in things that I know I will hate.

The only reason I've seen any of her films tbh is because of my sisters.

I’m not signing up to her fan club or anything, but she is so good in Legally Blonde. It’s not easy playing a part like that and doing it well and convincingly. I was really impressed.

Sign me up for another one who thought Election is great.

Infernal Affairs

Fucking HELL!!! Why I didn’t watch this years ago, I don’t know. Absolutely loved it. Gonna watch the other two tomorrow night. Been a while since I’ve seen The Departed so probably watch that at some point over the next few days as well.

Shaft (2019) 

Really badly written but quite fun and Jackson’s always watchable. Any film with Method Man automatically gets 5 stars.

Also the third film I’ve watched in as many months to feature 93 Til Infinity. Have film makers just discovered it or something?

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Infernal Affairs

Fucking HELL!!! Why I didn’t watch this years ago, I don’t know. Absolutely loved it. Gonna watch the other two tomorrow night. Been a while since I’ve seen The Departed so probably watch that at some point over the next few days as well.

wtf this is what I'm watching this weekend too.

hqdefault.jpg

"Alexander Saxton (Christopher Lee), a brilliant British anthropologist researching in the Russian Far East, boards the Trans-Siberian Express with his latest discovery, a frozen specimen he hopes to prove is the missing link. But en route to Europe, passengers begin to turn up dead, and terror engulfs the train as Saxton and his partner, Dr. Wells (Peter Cushing), struggle to contain a mysterious -- and increasingly murderous -- force with the power to control minds."

Never seen this before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Got a 'Thing' vibe to it with the 'Alien creature' acting as a host and being transposed into it's victims. Real nice charm to the movie with the actors involved and some witty humor too. It's a fun ride.

• Paid Members

Yeah, love a bit of Horror Express. I read once that Telly Savalas wasn't supposed to be in it but he was in the area shooting a paella western so they thought they'd write him into it if he agreed.

33 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, love a bit of Horror Express. I read once that Telly Savalas wasn't supposed to be in it but he was in the area shooting a paella western so they thought they'd write him into it if he agreed.

It's funny, when I was watching it I forgot he was advertised to be in it and he just sort of shows up out of nowhere lol.

Like "Oh, it's Telly Savalas"!!

• Paid Members

It was filmed a little after Cushing's wife passed -he was distraught, and Lee convinced him to do it so he'd be able to work with his friend for a while. 

Cushing is delightful in it too. "We're british, you know!"

If anyone hasn't seen it, it's in the public domain, so you can check it out on youtube.

They're all sequels to the original Shaft, rather than reboots.  Richard Roundtree's Shaft is Uncle to Jackson's Shaft (despite only being a few years older IRL), and this latest film introduces Jackson Shaft's son as a third Shaft, if you will.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

so hang on, there's another Shaft film? That's a squeal to the reboot Shaft, but the squeal is also called Shaft?

Based on the trailer, it turns the reboot into a sequel too. Got to admit, I liked the trailer a lot, so going to check this out later.

Edit - I hadn't seen posts on the new page and thought I was responding to the latest post. Roundtree is in the trailer, btw.

Edited by Chris B