DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I got a pirate VHS of Silence Of The Lambs back before it got a home release and Quick Change was on the tape after it.  Bloody marvellous film.  Shalhoub is excellent and whenever someone leaves something behind and you call after them, in my head I still say "Oh Sir, you forgot your map, and our million dollars".  Such a quotable film.

The bit where the cops pick him up off the floor and he tries to shoot himself with one of their guns was hilarious.

• Paid Members

The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot

I have no idea what to make of this one. The Guardian gave it two stars, which feels harsh, but I agree with almost everything they said about it.

It's just not remotely what you'd expect from the title. Very slow, very melancholy, very small in scope. Everything covered in the title feels almost like an afterthought to a treatise on aging and loss. From a narrative perspective, you could almost remove the entire Bigfoot section and achieve the same thing. Hell, you could probably remove the Hitler part too.

Sam Elliott is superb, particularly in the scene where he explains the "killing Hitler" part to the government agent who visits him. It's effectively a one man show.

Dublin Oldschool

Was what I imagine @Scott Malbranque weekends were like 10 years ago.

Enjoyed it a lot, but the lead character did my head in, he was incredibly annoying. The actor playing his brah Daniel was excellent though. Also Seana Kerslake....so lovely.

Layer Cake 

Again, this was decent, love seeing Derek Branning and old Michael Moon cropping up.

Never been a massive fan of Daniel Craig, as, and this will sound silly, but I’m very aware watching him that he’s an actor playing a role. Can see why he was chosen for Bond from this though 

• Paid Members

It's a decent watch is Dublin Oldschool. I mainly enjoyed it - even though it's no Human Traffic - as I know a couple of folk in it and it's quite bang on the nose with regards dialogue, but yeah, let down immensely by Emmet Kirwan overacting his dual range of surprised and sad.
He's quite popular over here as a playwright and a poet, and wrote himself into toerag folklore with this appearance on the Late Late Show:

He was on the Tommy Tiernan show on Saturday night just gone reading out poetry and I was chewing my forehead cringing. But yeah, he's a folk hero in some quarters over here.

Edited by Scott Malbranque
Over here. Anytime. Time t-timm. Ovhee...ovheee...tahhhmtahhhm

• Paid Members

Echo what everyone has said about Booksmart. The coming-of-age comedy has had a brilliant couple of years, as has the female-led comedy. Long may it continue.

Ma was a good laugh and seems satisfied to be just that rather than anything more. The September scene was fucking fantastic.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Never been a massive fan of Daniel Craig, as, and this will sound silly, but I’m very aware watching him that he’s an actor playing a role.

If that's how you feel about him I recommend you don't watch Logan Lucky.

I just saw Aladdin, I was surprised by how much I liked it but more surprised that I thought Big Willie Smith was the best thing in it. I would've gone with a slightly more stylised face in the genie form if he's gonna be CG, photo realistic blue will had a bit of a weird uncanny valley face sometimes. For the most part he looked good and the never had a friend like me scene was great. 

Jafar was pretty weak, he should've been more theatrical and over the top, he didn't have enough charisma, his voice was lame and his facial hair was too boring.

• Paid Members

MiB - International 

as boring as you’d expect it to be. It’s not as awful as Dark Phoenix but when the best thing about it was the 4DX seats, you know it wasn’t great. Just dull. Missed opportunity 

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

If that's how you feel about him I recommend you don't watch Logan Lucky.

Nobody should be warned off watching Logan Lucky for any reason, it's a wonderful film and the best thing Steven Soderbergh's ever done.

Edited by Devon Malcolm
I am in-car-ce-ra-ted

Murder Mystery 

I fucking detest Adam Sandler so wasn’t best pleased to be watching this, but it wasn’t awful. A fairly decent supporting cast, and Anistons always reliable but I was really put off by Sandlers mate at the start looking like Humpty Hump from Digital Underground (not putting it in the Netflix thread as I’m not recommending it)

Mystic Pizza 

I actually really liked this. Annabeth Gish should’ve gone on to star in bigger things as I thought she was really charming and Vincent D’Onofrio was fit in this. Yes, fit.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Nobody should be warned off watching Logan Lucky for any reason, it's a wonderful film and the best thing Steven Soderbergh's ever done.

Yeah it's great, also features a rare appearance from Katie Holmes who I've been in love with for 20 years and is never in anything, so that's a bonus.

Still think I prefer Behind the Candelabra but I'm really into the subject matter.

In Fabric

Just got back from a screening of this, by the director of Berberian Sound Studio.  Very very odd black comedy / horror film.  Reminded me a lot of High Rise in terms of the throwback stylings and deliberate attempts to unsettle the viewer, with a big helping of Dario Argento thrown in.

I really enjoyed it, but I suspect it will be a Marmite film in a similar way to some of Ben Wheatley's or Aronofsky's output.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Loki said:

I really enjoyed it, but I suspect it will be a Marmite film in a similar way to some of Ben Wheatley's or Aronofsky's output.

Peter Strickland's good though.

So was High Rise according to many people not named Devon Malcolm.  Incredible as it may seem, people have different tastes in film, some of them might not align with yours, and yet amazingly they are still valid  :)

Anyway, it's on general release later this month and gets a thumbs up from me for what it's worth.

Edited by Loki

7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Murder Mystery 

I fucking detest Adam Sandler so wasn’t best pleased to be watching this, but it wasn’t awful. A fairly decent supporting cast, and Anistons always reliable but I was really put off by Sandlers mate at the start looking like Humpty Hump from Digital Underground (not putting it in the Netflix thread as I’m not recommending it)

Mystic Pizza 

I actually really liked this. Annabeth Gish should’ve gone on to star in bigger things as I thought she was really charming and Vincent D’Onofrio was fit in this. Yes, fit.

I watched both of these in the last week. Well to tell the truth i punched out just over half way through on the Sandler one as it's utter shit, as per. 

Mystic Pizza surprisingly still holds it's charm after not seeing it since it was on Sky Movies all the time in the early 90's. I actually pointed out how good looking Vincent D'Onorfio is in it too.