DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I decided to go and see Amazing Grace after John Wick. It's a completely unfussy presentation, which features just the footage that was filmed - no narration and little in the way of tricks. Essentially it presents the performance and what happened that day, and nothing else. I'm not really much of a fan of gospel music, but the performances are so energetic and Aretha Franklin is such a force that it was impossible not to get swept up in it. Initially, I groaned a bit because I thought it was a proper documentary (the trailer is very clever), but stayed till the end and enjoyed it.

I have recently watched Snowpiercer (really good) and See You Yesterday (meh) on Netflix.

Snowpiercer, fantastic performance from Tilda Swinton. Is there anything else from the last five or ten years with a really good east-meets-west feel that's on Netflix?

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

I have recently watched Snowpiercer (really good) and See You Yesterday (meh) on Netflix.

Snowpiercer, fantastic performance from Tilda Swinton. Is there anything else from the last five or ten years with a really good east-meets-west feel that's on Netflix?

The same director did Okja, that might fit the bill for you. It's not quite as good but still very much so.

Went on a bit of a movie kick over this weekend

Watched Offerings last night as I'd recently picked it up on Bluray, half way in I wish I hadn't as it was pretty woeful even by 80's slasher standards with a killer that seemed to be a shit hybrid of unmasked Jason, Michael Myers and Leatherface

Then today on Netflix I watched Return of the Living Dead, which is one of my favorite zombie movies, Birdman which I've been wanting to see for a long time and didn't disappoint and Robin Hood Men In Tights, which I haven't seen since I was younger and never stopped laughing at throughout

• Paid Members
On 5/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, Factotum said:

Rewatched TOP SECRET yesterday as I saw a discussion on it online. My word I think it might just be the Zuckers finest hour. It's utterly packed with jokes. I love those films.

I really hated this when I rewatched this around Christmas. With these sorts of spoof films, I find they either absolutely knock it out of the park or totally fail. Didn't laugh once at it.

One for fellow Ben Foster junkie @Scott Malbranque, just watched Galveston. Pretty good crime thriller, this, and the main man is as good as ever. Probably needed to be a bit longer to flesh out the story more but it's still really good. Melanie Laurent should be a director to watch going off this and Breathe, which is an *amazing* film.

• Paid Members

Watched Speed Racer tonight. The usual experience with a Wachowskis film - yeah this looks great but I hate everything else about it.

Apart from Roger Allam, in this case.

• Paid Members

It is shit but at least the visuals would be quite something on a big screen.

Just saw Beats, which was superb. Shame it's been hawked around as a Trainspotting-alike, because it's a fair bit different and great in its own right. Soundtrack is better too.

• Paid Members

Furie has just been added to Netflix, notable for being one of only a handful of Vietnamese action films ever made. Really, really good, can't imagine many not having a good time with this. Veronica Ngo is great in the lead.

Also watched Baywatch, which was surprisingly not at all shit. Zac Efron looks about 50 in this though.

• Paid Members

I did mean facially, not bodily. That's the first time anyone's ever used 'training regimen' in association with my name, and almost certainly the last.