DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Two solid hours of massive beasties knocking the shit out of each other.  Adjust your excitement accordingly as to how appealing that sounds.  Worked for me, with all the monsters that I could ever have wanted to see.  Does suffer a bit from "wow, another lucky escape for our heroes" but then Godzilla appeared again and I didn't care about the number of black cats they must have skinned for that amount of good fortune.

I watched the first one a couple of nights ago and there wasn't nearly of the monsters fighting stuff, so this already seems like an improvement.

• Paid Members

The Secret Life of Pets 2 was odd because it felt like three films stitched together. It was alright though and inoffensive, with Harrison Ford stealing the show, as expected.

Just watched Lars and the Real Girl, which is absolutely lovely. Ryan Gosling's such an interesting and good actor when he's not in Nicolas Winding Refn films.

• Paid Members

This is what MCU and DCU are doing to blockbuster cinema. Studios trying to desperately create lazy franchises as a result. That's why they're going to be so damaging to big budget filmmaking in the long term.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they always were. And the "Cinematic Universe" idea, for pretty much everyone but Marvel, is really no different to what Toho have done with the Godzilla franchise since the 1960s, and arguably just an extension of the "Frankenstein Vs. The Wolf-Man" Universal Monsters crossovers of the '50s. 

Marvel have just realised that they can do what they did with comic books, and make you feel like you need to have seen all of them to understand the new one. Like how old Spider-Man comics would have a line of dialogue with the foot-note, "see Incredible Hulk #62". 

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Weren't lazy franchises already a thing anyway?

Of course, but not on the scale they're being done now. 

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Of course, but not on the scale they're being done now. 

Yep, we've had shit with franchises, just look at horror films for the best examples, but I didn't need to catch up with Saw 5 to get the full gist of Friday The 13th part 42.  Even Freddy Vs Jason may have been a "Multiverse" type but you could watch it as a standalone if you like awful films.

5 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You can watch the comic films as standalone as well. I don't bother watching them all, just the ones that look appealing. I'm sure there's some things that might've sailed over my head bit nothing that materially impacted the plot.

I disagree.  I've seen about half of the Marvel ones, mainly because my girlfriend is a fan, but I still had to ask her who characters were and their significance in the last two and why so and so didn't like each other etc.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You can watch the comic films as standalone as well.

Can you? I can't see how you could watch the most recent Avengers one without having seen the previous two, Captain Marvel and a bunch of other stuff from what I can gather, but ok.