DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Always Be My Maybe is a reasonable enough romcom, the Keanu Reeves bit is every bit as good as you'll hear though.

Kin is a boring and shit sci-fi thriller which will make you hate James Franco more, if possible.

The Perfection

The first half was great but the second half completely disappeared up its own arse. The plot and script was just an absolute mess. I like a twist in the story as much as the next guy but fucking hell. The final scene is absurd and ends quickly before anyone can actually ask about the logistics of it all. I know you need suspension of disbelief sometimes when watching movies but this is inexcusable shite.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

The Perfection

The first half was great but the second half completely disappeared up its own arse. The plot and script was just an absolute mess. I like a twist in the story as much as the next guy but fucking hell. The final scene is absurd and ends quickly before anyone can actually ask about the logistics of it all. I know you need suspension of disbelief sometimes when watching movies but this is inexcusable shite.

Yep, completely agree. Was really disappointed in it, even though the two leads were great

• Paid Members

Booksmart is really impressive. Funny and a bit poignant, but I was very much a fan of...

the way it had a habit of turning things on it's head. For example, when they were in the bathroom and after a very unlikable and snooty rant about College, it turns out the cool kids are also going on to great things.

The highlight of this was the party going from groaningly perfect, to absolute disaster. You worry they were going to ruin it all with being too sweet.

The drug trip scene is the stand out part of the movie.

• Paid Members

Just watched Animal Kingdom, which was really superb. Ben Mendelsohn's easily one of my favourite actors right now.

American Gangster was the usual epic crime biography, made even blander by shitty Ridley Scott.

• Paid Members

Ma was a bit more straightforward than I was expecting, I was imagining some kind of cryptic, open to interpretation headfuck for some reason but it's not like that at all. It is a fun, funny thriller though.

Octavia Spencer was great and I thought Luke Evans added a lot in his small role too, the teens were all good too. 

I'm a life long Juliette Lewis fan so it's always nice to see her as well even if she is playing a downtrodden single mum.

• Paid Members

Rewatched a couple of films I loved first time round years ago but have been nervous to go back to in case they were actually shite. Both were still great.

Quick Change is a film that should get talked about more in Bill Murray's canon. Tony Shalhoub's cabbie had me howling. Great little comedy.

Changing Lanes is still brilliant as well. Still a rarity in being a big Hollywood studio film that is a mature and thoughtful drama that isn't an obvious awards grab. Absolutely fantastic cast, too.

18 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Rewatched a couple of films I loved first time round years ago but have been nervous to go back to in case they were actually shite. Both were still great.

Quick Change is a film that should get talked about more in Bill Murray's canon. Tony Shalhoub's cabbie had me howling. Great little comedy.

Changing Lanes is still brilliant as well. Still a rarity in being a big Hollywood studio film that is a mature and thoughtful drama that isn't an obvious awards grab. Absolutely fantastic cast, too.

I posted on here a bit back about Quick Change and how it was a film I loved as a kid and in to my early teens and would watch it all the time. I bigged it up to the wife for so many years she eventually caved and we watched it together and I felt embarrassed that it hadn't aged as well as I'd have hoped. Maybe it was the pressure of wanting her to like it but it wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. Might be worth another crack.

I got a pirate VHS of Silence Of The Lambs back before it got a home release and Quick Change was on the tape after it.  Bloody marvellous film.  Shalhoub is excellent and whenever someone leaves something behind and you call after them, in my head I still say "Oh Sir, you forgot your map, and our million dollars".  Such a quotable film.