DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Can you? I can't see how you could watch the most recent Avengers one without having seen the previous two, Captain Marvel and a bunch of other stuff from what I can gather, but ok.

You can save time by watching either a 15 or 30 minute video put together to get you up to speed to watch the standalone film, or save even more time by not watching the film at all.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

You can save time by watching either a 15 or 30 minute video put together to get you up to speed to watch the standalone film, or save even more time by not watching the film at all.

I think, as well, there's a misunderstanding of the criticisms of these universes and a downplaying of the concerns of those who don't like them. You criticise the constant flow of these films and the cinema space they are taking up at the expense not just of smaller, independent films but larger budget Hollywood productions and you're either labelled as a killjoy or someone doing it as a 'personality trait'.

I don't doubt there are plenty that fit into those categories. And while I can absolutely see the appeal these films have had for so many people, there are repercussions for the film industry as a whole if we allow Disney to homogenise cinema as it is being allowed to. That's my concern. Short term fun is not more important than long term consequences. There have been a string of box office disappointments in the last year and a half that can certainly be attributed, in decent part, to the fact that there is always a Marvel or other comic book film in the cinema.

• Moderators

The only redemption of any comic book film is that Gregg Turkington had a cameo in Ant Man.

It is fucking bullshit though. we've only the one cinema in Wrexham now, and Odeon, and of the 7 screens at least 3 are usually taken up with the latest superhero tosh and many films worth viewing don't get a look in. The government should ration super hero films. One a year.

• Moderators

That's a superb idea. Also, all British National Cinemas (as they will be called) to show Mike Leigh's Nuts in May in perpetuity.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators

I'm sure your concerns are at least somewhat warranted Devon. You know far more about this stuff than me. I don't even go to the cinema.

But I do maintain my belief that you don't have to see all the superhero films to be able to enjoy any of them.

Hollywood always runs anything good into the ground.

I think we may have all forgotten how fucking terrible comicbook movies were up until Iron Man.  With the odd honourable exception, every film was a complete reboot of the character and thus entirely backstory and exposition.  Every film lived isolated from all others and any major bad guy introduced was killed off by the end of the film.

All of which completely ignored what makes comic books great - character development.  Nobody ever reads one comic book, you buy them every week and read them relentlessly during your adolescence (or further if you are a geek).  They have characters and relationships that span years, decades, intricate weavings of stories that create a compelling universe.

This is what Marvel did so well - decide to tackle film making like it's a tv series or book series.  The subtle interweaving of franchises, returning characters and most importantly they got past the origin stories into actual interesting shit.

All of this made a lot of money, and so the handle cranks round and we get a half dozen Marvel movies a year which is WAY too many.  I completely get Gladstone's annoyance, to watch either of the last 2 Avengers movies you basically needed a PhD in Marvel Cinematic Universe.  Now I'm hoping they go back to individual movies (albeit with continuity between them) as I'm mighty tired of watching 30 minute long CGI spaff fests.  More Thor / GOTG style light comedies please.  We are talking about comic books after all.

• Moderators

Like I said Ant Man is ok (despite it's one bag review from the On Cinema team) as it has Gregg Turkington in it. All true film experts would agree with my opinion. I have a nephew who makes me sit through  these noisy shit flicks and all pale in comparison to Superman 2.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I've seen a few here and there for various reasons, and Superman 2 is the best live action one I've seen too just ahead of Superman 1, Superman 3 and Dredd.

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I'm sure your concerns are at least somewhat warranted Devon. You know far more about this stuff than me. I don't even go to the cinema.

But I do maintain my belief that you don't have to see all the superhero films to be able to enjoy any of them.

A good point and I think it comes down to how much you really give a shit about it all.

If you’re happy to not be massively invested in the overarching stories and arcs, im sure that you can enjoy most of the Marvel films on their own.

I've watched enough of the Marvel films to know all of them aren't fit to lick the sweat from Zod's balls.  Have all the fucking CGI and correctly coloured spandex suits you want, those beta cucks would be kneeling faster than you can say Ursa is a SJW.  The ending of Superman 1 is cack, but Zod is in the start of it so it's automatically better than any Marvel film.

Obviously by Zod I mean proper Zod, not man of steel bollocks.