DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Detective Pikachu was a let down. Didn’t expect a masterpiece but it was too dark for younger kids (several kids cried during my screening), the plot was predictable and just dull. 

Before the whinny “but it’s a kids film” mob roll in, plenty of kids films have decent stories.

also Justice Smith is the fucking worst. He’s 2 for 2 in recent shit roles

To be fair none of it was anywhere near as sad as that part from the first animated movie.

• Awards Moderator

I thought Detective Pikachu was fine, an amusing distraction. Most of the fun was playing spot the background gag. I didn't think it was dark at all and my packed screening was surprisingly well behaved. Yeah, Justice Smith just can't carry a film. 

Good for Pokémon fans, nondescript for everyone else. 

Am I alone in thinking that it was the same Pokemon that featured all the time in Detective Pikachu? Perhaps that was the point, but I felt like it was the same 15/20 or so Pokemon who kept turning up in different parts of the film. I thought there was a missed opportunity to ram it full with as many little nods as possible, but maybe that's just me. There were also a number of Pokemon I didn't really recognise, but then again I haven't played it since Pokemon Gold & Silver. 

I thought the film was fun enough and the Pokemon that were on show looked really good for the most part. I found Mewtwo quite jarring to look at, especially when he was talking. Is there any reason that he looked so shit compared to the rest?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I thought Detective Pikachu was fine, an amusing distraction. Most of the fun was playing spot the background gag. I didn't think it was dark at all and my packed screening was surprisingly well behaved. Yeah, Justice Smith just can't carry a film. 

Good for Pokémon fans, nondescript for everyone else. 

I mean I didn’t find it dark myself. But I suppose it was no different to

watching Transformers the Movie as a kid and seeing Optimus Prime peg it

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It's stupid is what it is. It different tell you what it's hiding a spoiler for, so it serves no purpose.

That spoiler, in the context of Pokemon will likely spoil that film. Pretty sure everyone is aware of what I’ve put in spoiler tags but it’s the context I’m trying to protect

• Awards Moderator
9 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I mean I didn’t find it dark myself. But I suppose it was no different to

Hide contents

watching Transformers the Movie as a kid and seeing Optimus Prime peg it

Nothing of the sort happens. (incredibly mild Pikachu spoilers) 

Pikachu gets a bit hurt, then healed within five minutes. He doesn't look in peril to the extent of Prime, who turns grey and carks it while the Autobots look on weeping.

• Awards Moderator
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That spoiler, in the context of Pokemon will likely spoil that film. Pretty sure everyone is aware of what I’ve put in spoiler tags but it’s the context I’m trying to protect

Chest's point is you should hint what the spoiler is so the reader can decide for themselves (see above). 

John Wick 3

Fuck this was fun. Just a literal blast from start to finish. God knows what the body count was, must have been 100-200 cos a shitload of people got shot, stabbed and all sorts. The opening 20 minutes or so were bloody wild.

• Moderators

I watched the mockumentary Tour de Pharmacy the other night. An HBO thing taking the piss out of doping in cycling. It's silly but very funny. Some of the jokes don't land but the cast is all-star and really elevates it. John Cena, Jeff Goldblum, Andy Samberg, dolph lundgren and more..

It's only 40min long. Well worth a watch.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I watched the mockumentary Tour de Pharmacy the other night. An HBO thing taking the piss out of doping in cycling. It's silly but very funny. Some of the jokes don't land but the cast is all-star and really elevates it. John Cena, Jeff Goldblum, Andy Samberg, dolph lundgren and more..

It's only 40min long. Well worth a watch.

They did a tennis one called 7 Days in Hell which is similarly silly. Worth a look if you liked Tour.