DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Rocketman is surprisingly very enjoyable. Yes, it suffers from the same "so, I just sat down at the piano at this scene and whipped out Candle In The Wind" hammy stuff most biopics do, but it's good fun for a film about a bloke losing his mind to the music business.

Some interesting choices, in terms of how they shot the songs in musical sections - they're the best part of the film, along with the costumes and them not trying their hardest to downplay Elton's sexuality.

You get the sense John is/was a bigger knob than the film lets on (painting him as a sympathetic figure), but that is to be expected.

• Paid Members

watched two films today.

American Animals was one that I had missed on it's limited run and has turned up on Amazon Prime. I avoided trailers and the true events so went in cold and found it really well made and enjoyable.

Then I saw Aladdin. A film I had to see bacause Disney Podcasts but I thought looked fucking awful. I can say however it is probably Guy Ritches best work in the last decade (he says not having seen the Sherlock films) and is probably the best live action remake they have done. Really think the marketing has let it down and it wouldn't surprise me if its a bit of a flop but I thought it was brilliant. Even Will Smith was pretty good, and we know how shit he is (insert link to thread here)

On 5/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

It is shit but at least the visuals would be quite something on a big screen.

Just saw Beats, which was superb. Shame it's been hawked around as a Trainspotting-alike, because it's a fair bit different and great in its own right. Soundtrack is better too.

Really excited to see this as only just found out it's based on a one man show I saw a few years back (the show was hillarious and the guy performing it was fantastic - he'd be doing a conversation jumping between gurned up raver and policeman like it was nothing). 

• Paid Members

Netflix put two more new ones out today.

Rim of the World probably could have been a good laugh but McG predictably fucked it, undoing most of the goodwill he built up with The Babysitter.

The Perfection was absolutely cracking though. I was really interested to see what Allison Williams would do after Get Out but she's arguably even better in this. Completely potty, wobbles a bit near the ending but the final shot is an all-timer. Great companion piece to Whiplash too.

• Paid Members
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

Glass.  All I could think about was poor Scotty, he must have been broken and devastated after this :( 

Remains the only film I walked out of because I had the shits, which was entirely fitting.

See You Yesterday

I really enjoyed this, as a fun little time travel caper and it has one of the greatest people in the world in a cameo, but I must have switched off in the last 20 minutes as I didn't understand the ending at all.

Rim Of The World

Again, enjoyed it, and the hokey effects (puppets???) just added to it to be honest, rather than took anything away. I suspect McG's tongue was firmly in his cheek.

Standard alien invasion fare, but I thought the four kids had good chemistry and all seemed to be having a good old time. Tonally, a bit all over the shop though.

We did a double header at the cinema today and saw Aladdin and Rocketman.

Aladdin was quite good once it got going even if a lot of the ‘Jasmine is an Arab woman whose not allowed to do shit’ stuff was a little on the nose. Will Smith was fine as the Genie, but the guy they had playing Jafar was fucking woeful. The cast seemed to suffer from talking with American accents throughout, yet would develop some ultra-Middle Eastern accent anytime they said Agraba.

I’m in two minds about Rocketman. It’s well acted, no doubt that, but I kept feeling that with the way they used the songs it would work better as a West End show. I’m not of the thinking that biopics have to be first this happens, then I did that then I met this person...etc, but deliberately messing with the chronology made it into something I wasn’t expecting.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

The Dead Don’t Die

I was looking forward to this after hearing of the cast and seeing the trailer but well... It’s just dull, full of long pointless scenes and the whole thing plays out as a 90 minute dead pan comedy sketch.

Not good at all, it ranks just below House Of The Dead for worst zombie movie of all time.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Aladdin. Thought I'd hate it but decent fun. The only thing I hated is the new song that Jasmine does which is a little jarring as it's totally different style-wise to the other 90's songs they've left pretty much untouched.

Us. Absolutely loved this although it disappears up it's own arse a couple of times.

Pet Sematary. Alright. Not overly familiar with the book or the older film. Enjoyable but slow up until the climax which had me on the edge of my seat.

Escape Room. Absolutely loved this. Don't think I've sat with my gob open or shouted "HOLY FUCKING SHIT" out loud at a film this much in a long time. Great fun.