Devon Malcolm

DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

I watched a film with Hopkins in last night called Collide. He plays a drug baron always quoting Shakespeare and is easily the worst thing in it. Otherwise it was a really enjoyable actioner, Nicholas Hoult was really good in the lead. Ben Kingsley is an absolute nutter in it, and to the delight of @Scott Malbranque, Felicity Jones looks divine in it - love the short blonde do.

Image result for felicity jones collide

I enjoyed Collide too. Really.did. Was lovely and fast paced and had that kind of 'No Escape' tension at points. 

I don't know why it got such bad reviews though, especially when it contained something as absolutely stunning and mesmerizing as Felicity Jones' top lip. 

It dragged a bit at the start and the attempt at a twist ending was a bit off, but that middle third is absolutely relentless, and really well shot. Hopkins was pretty crap but yeah, strange that it was so badly panned.

Wild Rose is no doubt all about that "feelgood" and is decent enough, but I found a chunk of it to be annoyingly hokey. Some of the acting in it is a bit Hollyoaks too. It's quite funny in places, but the jokes are a little one-note.

By far the best thing about it is Jessie Buckley. I'm very excited to see how her career unfolds in the next 5 years.

Edited by ColinBollocks

I watched Guava Island last night on Amazon. I don't have a Prime account so I'm assuming it's free to all. For those of you who dont know it's a collaberitive effort from Donald Glover and his brother and maybe Rhianna and is directed by one of the Atlanta regular directors, same bloke who made the This is America video.

It's only an hour long and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It kind of has a Atlanta weird episode vibe and I recommend going in without too much prior knowledge as it's a lovely little surprise of a film.

Edited by Mr_Danger

I think I've only seen Donald Glover in The Martian and some terrible stand-up comedy show. He was funnier in The Martian.

I fogot Magic Mike XXL as well, but clearly outdone by Big Sexy.

12 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Wild Rose is no doubt all about that "feelgood" and is decent enough, but I found a chunk of it to be annoyingly hokey.

Are you a Country fan Colin?  It probably skews a fair few stars higher if you're balls deep into the Nashville Scene or BritCoun (that's a totally made up term by the way) as you can play that's such and such playing themselves or that's hmmm doing a cameo as a lowly brrr and that's a real concert series, not something just made up for the film.

Jessie Buckley is cracking and is good on the soundtrack doing the singing too.

The Sisters Brothers

What a mission to see this.  One showing a day at 9pm in a cinema 25 miles away.  I don't think there's any middle ground with John C, he's either in crackers or irredeemable shit.  Luckily on this occasion it was definitely the former.  Loved the, often literal, darkness and the playing off each other that the brothers did.

There's often the "featuring" or the classic "and" but I'm sure it said "with the participation of..." in the credits.  Is that film talk for they did it for free?

Good little documentary is on MUBI.com about the Irish Troubles in the 70s. "The Patriot Game". Really disturbing.

The Perfect Date

Watched this as I watched To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before with my eldest and wanted to know whether this was appropriate.

Pretty good, and Noah Centineo is a good little actor, and Laura Marano was very good as the other main, with a realistic chemistry between them.

With an ending you can spot a mile away, it’s not ground breaking , but it has heart and a surrounding cast that are likeable. Netflix make pretty decent YA content and this is another. 

For those with pre-teen kids, there’s quite a few “shits” but nothing that would stop me letting my 9 year old watch it.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:33 AM, johnnyboy said:

Are you a Country fan Colin?  It probably skews a fair few stars higher if you're balls deep into the Nashville Scene or BritCoun (that's a totally made up term by the way) as you can play that's such and such playing themselves or that's hmmm doing a cameo as a lowly brrr and that's a real concert series, not something just made up for the film.

I'm a fan of country but not necessarily so hip on the Nashville scene (I know the significance of the gig at the end and the Opry etc). Although if it really is a bunch of cameos, then that maybe explains why I found a chunk of the acting so rubbish.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Although if it really is a bunch of cameos, then that maybe explains why I found a chunk of the acting so rubbish.

Bob Harris and Mark Hagen at the BBC are themselves, Ashley McBryde is herself, and Kacey Musgraves (<3) is the bar singer.