DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I ended up watching the Power Ranger film last night. It starts off alright, but it's another case of a film being 2 hours long and ends up being boring. If you've ever see an episode of the show then you know how it's going to finish. So instead of a dull 20 minute middle section a 3 minutes long montage could have done the same thing. The film ends up being 90 minutes of setup to final big 20 minutes action sequence.

Saw this tonight myself and pretty much agree word for word. I thought the start was better than I thought it would be and the character set up was quite good but kind of got lost in the middle of the film with parts they didn't really need, the whole trying to morph thing I thought took longer than it should and the thing that happened with Billy I thought was pointless. 

Rita though was really good, the baddies were okay but wish they did the morphing thing like they did in the original, your right about the end but again thought some of the little details were missed out.

That said given some of the things not in the film it sets it up for more films to follow (Lord Z, Tommy - Green Ranger etc), but not sure whether it will successful as the end will always be the same. 

• Paid Members

I didn't mind power rangers either, thankfully I read rey piste's review beforehand so I was fearing the worst, it definitely could've been 20 minutes shorter but it wasn't that bad.

It reminded me of that recent shit fantastic four film crossed with transformers which is a pretty unappealing combo but at least they tried to give the rangers some character. I did think it was a bit too dark visually, there were times where you could hardly make out what was going on.

I thought they spent too much time in their vehicles compared to fighting just in their armour as well.

It was funny that the film had the German suplex as the ultimate fighting move the rangers had to train hard to learn and use to defeat the giant monster

• Paid Members

I like the trailer for that new "It" film. Looks even more terrifying than than the still terrifying (until the wacky ending) first one, Chubby kid's story in the second new one will freak me out (if they get there).

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I ended up watching the Power Ranger film last night. It starts off alright, but it's another case of a film being 2 hours long and ends up being boring. If you've ever see an episode of the show then you know how it's going to finish. So instead of a dull 20 minute middle section a 3 minutes long montage could have done the same thing. The film ends up being 90 minutes of setup to final big 20 minutes action sequence.

Saw this tonight myself and pretty much agree word for word. I thought the start was better than I thought it would be and the character set up was quite good but kind of got lost in the middle of the film with parts they didn't really need, the whole trying to morph thing I thought took longer than it should and the thing that happened with Billy I thought was pointless. 

That whole section could've been cut down to a montage I know they've become kind of passe, but you could've kept up the pace of the film and stuck in a basic Power Rangers vs the Putties action sequence before ramping up to the finale.

There is a mid credits sequence where they tease Tommy turning up with showing someone with a green jacket being introduced to the class as Tommy. So they're teasing for the green ranger.

Edited by Rey_Piste

• Paid Members

There is a six movie story arc for Power Rangers in place so its going to be around for a while yet! I enjoyed it more than I thought to be honest, although part of that is probably down to nostalgia.

I thought the character development was pretty great actually. By the end I was completely invested in them all and wanted them to smash Goldar, so it worked from that point of view. I agree that the learning to morph section was too long, but it wasn't ever boring. There wasn't enough traditional power rangers fight sequences and the whole film was very predictable but I still enjoyed it for what it was. A few points in spoiler tags just in case -

The section with Billie dying and coming back to life was there so that Zordon could bring him back and gain the rangers trust. It also meant they united in grief which then gave them the strength to morph.

I had no idea Zordon and Rita were rangers in the past, that was pretty interesting. The red ranger took the green stone from Rita and gave it to Zordon, so it looks like that will now end up with Tommy as per the mid credits scene already mentioned.

I assume Lord Zedd will be the next bad guy, although Rita's obviously not done - she was floating back to the moon at the end so assume she will start building her Moon base and dish out some revenge. More Elizabeth Banks can only be a good thing.

That IT trailer is pretty terrifying. Really want to see it but that's definitely going to be a viewing that requires a scare cushion.

On the subject of trailers giving the plot away, the one for Castaway shows Tom Hanks on the plane after he's been rescued which sort of gives the game away.

There is a six movie story arc for Power Rangers in place so its going to be around for a while yet!

Fucking hell. What cretin plans six movies ahead? I bet they could take the arc and do it in three.

Saw Life last night. A good b-movie with an a-list cast and a big budget. I wasn't bored, but spent hours afterwards picking holes in it. Everyone's typecast, and the alien's final form is a bit meh, but the early set pieces are good and the tension ramps up well. Really liked the ending, proving it's nice to get just what you expect once in a while. I'm pretty sure it's destined for the same status as Relic and Hollow Man.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members

There is a six movie story arc for Power Rangers in place so its going to be around for a while yet!

Fucking hell. What cretin plans six movies ahead? I bet they could take the arc and do it in three.

George Lucas?

• Awards Moderator

The Relic is great though.

It's Ciler spelt backwards, you know.

Ooh that's good :laugh:

Who plans 6 films ahead?

What is there to plan? Big baddie, bigger than the previous, bit of personal drama, come together to beat big baddie?

I should add, I've never seen an episode of Power Rangers.