DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It Follows was wonderful. Absolutely fucking wonderful...

I still put the eerie synth score in my earholes going asleep at night on occasion.

Always thought occasion had two s's. That's probably what got me an A2 in English in my Leaving Cert as opposed to an A1.

That and rhythm.

It's one of the few films I've ever seen that I rewatched within a week. I really hope we get the prequel that they were talking about earlier in the year. Such a brilliant film.

It Follows was wonderful. Absolutely fucking wonderful...

I still put the eerie synth score in my earholes going asleep at night on occasion.

Always thought occasion had two s's. That's probably what got me an A2 in English in my Leaving Cert as opposed to an A1.

That and rhythm.

Agree, I watched it on Amazon Prime and didnt have high hopes, but I loved every second of it. Also watched The Babadook recently and up until the last twenty minutes or so I thought it was a really good film.

• Paid Members

I would totally have volunteered to take it away from Maika Monroe as well. Cor.

Saw Life today. It's perfectly middle of the road, stick it on if there's nothing else on, go and see it if there's nowt else showing, stuff. No ideas of its own but decent entertainment. Pinches everything from Alien, The Andromeda Strain, Sunshine and Gravity. Even has Hiroyuki Sanada in it to play EXACTLY the same role he did in Sunshine.

Everyone should watch The Andromeda Strain, by the way, it's amazing.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I would totally have volunteered to take it away from Maika Monroe as well. Cor.

Saw Life today. It's perfectly middle of the road, stick it on if there's nothing else on, go and see it if there's nowt else showing, stuff. No ideas of its own but decent entertainment. Pinches everything from Alien, The Andromeda Strain, Sunshine and Gravity. Even has Hiroyuki Sanada in it to play EXACTLY the same role he did in Sunshine.

Everyone should watch The Andromeda Strain, by the way, it's amazing.

I trust you mean the original?

• Paid Members

I don't think I've ever been as overcome by excitement as I was when I first saw it. During the final part I was leaning forward so much I was literally on the edge of my seat.

It's an absolute masterpiece of storytelling and tension.

I finally watched John Wick, it's not amazing but a decent slick B movie with a bigger budget. I popped for a few of the appearences including a certain big sexy silver fox, Ryan from Oz and Lovejoy.

It gets minus one star for SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read
dog death, I have to admit I nearly stopped watching at that point as I'm a soppy cunt.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Anybody wanna' take a stab at recommending any of those Arrow Video or 88 Films releases? They're churning them out like nobodies business but it's hard to know which are worth a go

Depends what you're looking for. Arrow have done some spectacular restorations and span genres from art house to slasher.

I have a ton of both companies releases. Very much enjoyed Black Magic last week from 88 Films 88 Asia range.

What sort of stuff are you in to?

Anybody wanna' take a stab at recommending any of those Arrow Video or 88 Films releases? They're churning them out like nobodies business but it's hard to know which are worth a go

Depends what you're looking for. Arrow have done some spectacular restorations and span genres from art house to slasher.

I have a ton of both companies releases. Very much enjoyed Black Magic last week from 88 Films 88 Asia range.

Well, I'll more than likely be picking up the Shaw Brothers releases from 88 Films. But I love horror. I got The Beyond and House by the Cemetery a while back. I think that was Arrow. Honestly though, I'm open to any suggestions really..

• Paid Members

Well, I'll more than likely be picking up the Shaw Brothers releases from 88 Films. But I love horror. I got The Beyond and House by the Cemetery a while back. I think that was Arrow. Honestly though, I'm open to any suggestions really..

Ok well of the two Shaw Bros 88 Films BDs I've seen I'd pick Black Magic over Hex any day. Both are horrors. I've heard very good things about Seeding of a Ghost and will be getting it my self once it turns back up on Amazon.

Unlike Arrow 88 Films is hit and miss when it comes to picture quality but from what I've read their Shaw Bros discs have all got the thumbs up so far.

I'd highly recommend any of the following from Arrow. The restorations are top notch.

The Burbs

Deep Red (latest version)

Withnail & I

Zombie Flesh Eaters

Blood and Black Lace

It might be easier if you have a butchers at both of their catalogues and see what looks interesting to you. I'm a massive slasher fan myself so I have pretty much all of them but also have a fair few of boths cult/horror stuff.

You need to get City of the living dead to complete your Fulci trilogy

Few more fo you to get..

The Beast Within

Demons

Madman

Audition

Maniac Cop

The Hellraiser Trilogy

The Hills Have Eyes Limited Edition

Bride Of Re-animator 

All Arrow releases

Just got delivery of the House box set 2 days ago too, picture quality of the first 2 films ive watched are fantastic.

Happy Watching!

• Paid Members

You need to get City of the living dead to complete your Fulci trilogy

Few more fo you to get..

The Beast Within

Demons

Madman

Audition

Maniac Cop

The Hellraiser Trilogy

The Hills Have Eyes Limited Edition

Bride Of Re-animator

All Arrow releases

Just got delivery of the House box set 2 days ago too, picture quality of the first 2 films ive watched are fantastic.

Happy Watching!

Good call on all of those. Only thing I will add is the Arrow version of Demons had no restoration and has a far worse picture quality than the Synapse US version. Also City of the Living Dead also looks pretty rough with baked in scanner noise. (Not a fan of the movie either myself) But otherwise they are all bang on.

I've had to cancel my House box. Amazon jacked up the price on me and I only really like the first one so I can't justify it. Never seen the 4th mind you. I should have Arrow's Pieces arrive today. A slasher I've been waiting years to see. Can't wait.