DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Yeah, that's what I figured. On a related topic, does anybody still watch trailers? Life made me think of this, because part of the twist speculation was that the trailer seemed to literally just be the film, in order, so had to be a diversion. Evidently, it wasn't, and was just a shitty, spoiley trailer. I'm seeing the same said about the new Spidey trailer too. I stopped watching them a couple of years ago, because that fad of "here's every plot beat, in order" became the norm, and it was ruining films for me.

• Paid Members

I'm in full agreement regarding modern trailers.

One of the worst culprits dates back to the 90's and The Negotiator. They gave away the 'twist' or part of the reveal anyway, straight up at the end of the trailer which really irked me off before I even saw the movie.

In fairness, I enjoyed the movie at the time in the flicks, and my pots were gone throughout but the trailer hung over me as it had Sammy Jackson and Spacey sitting in a car, and Spacey says something akin to "Now they'll have to deal with both of us..." and it made the whole fucking first two acts redundant because you know Sammy Jackson is going to get out of the situation he's in...

I'm in full agreement regarding modern trailers.

One of the worst culprits dates back to the 90's and The Negotiator. They gave away the 'twist' or part of the reveal anyway, straight up at the end of the trailer which really irked me off before I even saw the movie.

In fairness, I enjoyed the movie at the time in the flicks, and my pots were gone throughout but the trailer hung over me as it had Sammy Jackson and Spacey sitting in a car, and Spacey says something akin to "Now they'll have to deal with both of us..." and it made the whole fucking first two acts redundant because you know Sammy Jackson is going to get out of the situation he's in...

I'm sure we had a discussion on here in the past but packaging can do the same.  Planet Of The Apes being the classic example.  Yes, lets have the cover art depict the iconic last shot of the film.  The US cover of Hancock gave away a massive spoiler and the blurb on the back of the VHS for Rosemary's Baby that I had totally ruined the paranoid tension of the whole film.

• Paid Members

I stopped watching trailers a few years back. I still catch them in the cinema but try my best to ignore them. It's the norm now for them to give away every plot beat and too many of them use that Inception-esque soundtrack lately. I gave up watching them when the trailer for that last shitty Terminator film revealed a big plot twist and it's been quite nice watching films without much prior knowledge of what the tone/story will be.

However, I listen to the Empire podcast every weekend and the berk reviewing Life last week pretty much gave away every plot development anyway.

• Paid Members

For me it started years back with the Dark Knight trailer. The scene when Gordon is stood there with the Mayor whilst the Joker is locked in a cell features prominently, and when it came around to watching the actual movie, Gordon is perceived to be dead at the half way point. It took me right out of the film until the scene in question materialised. 

• Moderators

Can I just shock you? I like wine.

By which I mean, despite what I posted earlier, I almost broke my legs rushing to Youtube to see the trailer for It, seeing as I've read the book a half-dozen times and can't be spoiled. In my dreams, I would have directed this one day. The TV miniseries is a weird combination of the utterly awful, where it's fucking dreadful in most places, with panto-broad double-takes and soapy cheapness, BUT, has one of the all-time great horror performances every time Tim Curry's onscreen. It broke my black heart when Cary Fukunaga pulled out of the remake, taking Will Poulter as Pennywise with him, but you know...

... I am so fucking sold.

That just had me shitting my pants and shouting whilst sat in an Asda car park. Will Poulter seems an odd choice for Pennywise though, kind of wish I got to see what that would have been like. I can't imagine looking at him and not seeing a gormless face, even with the makeup.

• Moderators

That just had me shitting my pants and shouting whilst sat in an Asda car park. Will Poulter seems an odd choice for Pennywise though, kind of wish I got to see what that would have been like. I can't imagine looking at him and not seeing a gormless face, even with the makeup.

It seemed like odd casting at first, but then you think, what's the scariest thing when you're a kid of that age? Bigger boys.

I read earlier that the studio initially wanted Ben Mendelsohn, but he asked for too much money. That could have been incredible.

• Paid Members

I stopped watching trailers a few years back. I still catch them in the cinema but try my best to ignore them. It's the norm now for them to give away every plot beat and too many of them use that Inception-esque soundtrack lately. I gave up watching them when the trailer for that last shitty Terminator film revealed a big plot twist and it's been quite nice watching films without much prior knowledge of what the tone/story will be.

However, I listen to the Empire podcast every weekend and the berk reviewing Life last week pretty much gave away every plot development anyway.

The Terminator promotion was hilarious. They not only ruined one of the few interesting ideas in the film, but also had James Cameron do a favour with his "look, I didn't think it was total shite like the last couple" video. All just reeked of them panicking about the film not doing the business.

For the most part, I tend to just look briefly at reviews and leave it there, these days. Being surprised by a great film is the best. Calvary and Under The Skin are maybe my two favourites, in that regard.

Edited by ColinBollocks