DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I saw a "One Star" review for it in the local newspaper and I was appalled. Sounds like such a fun concept for a movie. How could they possibly, if they have, failed?

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I saw a "One Star" review for it in the local newspaper and I was appalled. Sounds like such a fun concept for a movie. How could they possibly, if they have, failed?

I'd say it was a 2.5/3 star film. It is a weird concept, but played well. Suffered from the usual best bits were in the trailer syndrome 

• Paid Members

The Boss Baby wasn't as bad as I expected. Alec Baldwin's voice work was superb. It was also REALLY weird, it reminded me of Storks (which was great) in how surreal it was in parts. Both about babies as well, weirdly.

• Paid Members

I saw Ghost in the Shell tonight, I enjoyed it, it was just like if Blade Runner had a kid with that Björk video with the embracing robots. For me it could've been a bit more fun but the tone suited the film. It's perfect for Scarlett Johansson, she was great in it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Call me Bellend said:

I saw Ghost in the Shell tonight, I enjoyed it, it was just like if Blade Runner had a kid with that Björk video with the embracing robots. For me it could've been a bit more fun but the tone suited the film. It's perfect for Scarlett Johansson, she was great in it.

Was it better then Lucy? Which I thought was terrible 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Miles better, she doesn't even turn into a pen drive.  I imagine that it looks terrific on an IMAX screen.

with my unlimited card I have to pay £5.40 for Imax or £1.50 for 3D. I was tempted to plump for 3D but I have a 3D set up at home so thought I may wait for the home release. I think I am definitely going to catch it.

I have a friend who refuses to go Cinema alone so I am probably going to have to see Power Rangers this week with him and really want to see F&F8 as well but think I will have to see GITS (I wonder if that is why it is not doing so well) before it starts cutting showings 

• Paid Members

Watched The Visit last night, was a bit of a mixed bag. Some decent moments, including one that had my howling.

Overall, there are worse ways to spend 90 mins, and it was good to see M. Night strip it back a bit. Need to watch Split soon.

Edited by KJHenley

3 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

with my unlimited card I have to pay £5.40 for Imax or £1.50 for 3D. I was tempted to plump for 3D but I have a 3D set up at home so thought I may wait for the home release. I think I am definitely going to catch it.

I have a friend who refuses to go Cinema alone so I am probably going to have to see Power Rangers this week with him and really want to see F&F8 as well but think I will have to see GITS (I wonder if that is why it is not doing so well) before it starts cutting showings 

Have you managed to see a 4DX film yet? Its about £4.13 or something silly and an interesting experience. 

• Paid Members

Just watched The Void.  Cracking old school modern lovecraftian flick.  From what I could make out all practical effects too which was a nice change.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

Have you managed to see a 4DX film yet? Its about £4.13 or something silly and an interesting experience. 

Mine doesn't have 4DX but I don't think a whole film would work somehow. Unless I was watching something like Driving Miss Daisy

• Paid Members

Watched this new action film called Stratton that's leaked online. Probably go straight to DVD or Netflix or whatever. Directed by Simon West, the Con Air dude.

Not bad, actually. Dominic Cooper really wants to be the next Statham, doesn't he? He's ok in this but he doesn't really have the charisma to completely convince. Connie Nielsen is in it, looking absolutely splendid at 50-odd even if she puts on the worst accent I've heard in a film for some time.

11 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

Mine doesn't have 4DX but I don't think a whole film would work somehow. Unless I was watching something like Driving Miss Daisy

Loose anecdotal evidence but a friend of mines family drove her out to the one in Milton Keynes to see one of the Marvel films and she said she felt more beaten up than the time some of the bullies in her class took advantage of a ruck playing rugby in PE to lay the boot in. There's very little to her so suspect she's feeling more force than most would in those seats but we've not investigated anything else since. 

I saw Deadpool in 4DX. Not sure I'd want to do it again, maybe for the next Star Wars but I found it really distracting. Highlight for me was a youngish couple walking in with what appeared to be one of their Nan's who was about 90. They played the Batman vs Superman trailer complete with all the 4DX gimmickery. When the trailer finished she let out an audible "Bugger that", walked out of the cinema and didn't come back.