DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
On 08/03/2017 at 10:08 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

Against my – and Astros’ - better judgement I watched The Assignment last night.

What the shite was that? I’m all for Walter Hill and I’m all for B-Movie fun and even C and D Movie fun, but this was nonsense...absolute gibberish on celluloid.

I know Michelle Rodriguez has always had a distinct honour of being very attractive no matter what gender she inhabits, but even the image of her in the raw didn’t make me want to pause it!

Either the film was that bad that I was too annoyed and/or perplexed to look at such a fascinating womans realistic, moderately sagging, almost National Geographic magazine bosom, or lads, I’m getting old and the 37 years have caught up to me.

Even though I said I would strike this off, I still fucking put it on last night and.... it's bad. Really, pretty bad.

I don't know why Walter Hill keeps thinking those comic book inserts look good. Nobody liked them in director's cut of The Warriors and they were shit here. As for the rest of the film, there's not enough action in it for it to qualify as a mindless actioner so I don't even know what it's supposed to be. But it's neither controversial or shocking enough to qualify as the 'lurid thriller' Hill wanted it to be. It's just fucking stupid - the kind of film that thinks, "Oh we'll stick Rodriguez in a beard and slap a fake todger on her and everyone will buy that she's a bloke!" She looked fucking ridiculous.

That said, sadly, it's one of the best performances I've seen from her. She's weirdly committed to it, it's odd. In fact, most of the cast are actually quite good in this. The saddest thing about it is that Hill really does seem to have lost his style to the ravages of time.

I also watched Bullet To The Head and although I enjoyed it, it doesn't feel like one of his films at all. Stallone was really good in it and I liked how uncompromising his character is but he had zero chemistry with Sung Kang. Otherwise it was good fun. I just think maybe Walter should stick to the writing, really, and it really hurts to say that.

See, following previous comments I'd have happily given that film a wide birth especially with the added criticism from yourself. Then you had to say Rodriguez wears a fake beard and todger and you sold it to me instantly!

• Paid Members

I didn't like it nor understand it on both occasions I watched it. It's over-complicated guff, I can't imagine the remake could possibly be worse.

• Paid Members

I went to see Free Fire last night. It was the perfect Cineworld Unlimited film in that If I had paid £12 to see it I may have been disappointed. It is quite funny and well cast, but could easily have worked as an episode of Inside Number 9 or something rather then a movie. The budget was $10 million, god knows where that went.

I did like it, I would recommend it, but not necessarily on the big screen.

Today I take my Daughter to see The Boss Baby for our first of many Daddy/Daughter movie trips this year. Alec Baldwin has been doing a sterling job of playing a baby on SNL this year so hoping for good things

Edited by Nick Soapdish
i'm an idiot

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Free Fire?  I'd imagine it all went on the cast and ammo.

Yeah, it doesn't need to be seen in the cinema, but it's an excellent film and needs seeing. Very sharp, very tight, very funny, and Sharlto Copley steals every scene he's in.  Perfect ninety minuter rather than a 150 minute endurance test that so many films seem to see as desirable at the minute.

yeah I have now amended that post for being a tit! As good as Sharlton Copley was yet again (he also stole Maleficent and The A-Team as well), I thought Armie Hammer was good as a younger Jon Hamm.

I saw originally it was billed to star Olivia Wilde and Luke Evans. I would love to have seen how that would have played out

• Paid Members

Well, I'm said mug that paid £12 to see the film. It's not bad or anything, but definitely one that won't suffer if you just watch some reasonable copy on Exodus.

Armie Hammer is ridiculous looking human being. Proper unit with a proper beard.

3 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Armie Hammer is such a stupid name that it would put me off a film if I saw it on a poster. It just has bad associations with that foul tasting toothpaste for me.

It's a name you'd avoid saying out loud because you'd sound stupid saying it. He's either chosen a shit name or missed an opportunity to change his shit name. Either way it's inexcusable.

• Moderators

Just watched Split

Spoiler

Knew it had a massive twist, as had been mentioned on here.

First 2 minutes, "Where do I know her from? Oh I think it's the girl from The VVitch? I'll just hop on Wikipedia and check the cast list. That'll be fine."

"Oh."

I'd have fucking loved that bit :(

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

So saw The Boss Baby. Was good. As Dreamwork films go it was pretty decent (not a massive Shrek fan, liked KFP and HTTA Dragon) and quite a high concept for a kids movie. Worth a watch if you have 90 minutes to kill though