DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

39 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

For those who have missed out on the Greasy Strangler, it's on Sky Sci-if/Horror at 11:15 tonight.

Is it?  Had a quick look on Syfy and some King Arthur thing is on, there is something else on Horror.

EDIT - Ah, the Sky Monster thingy.  Apologies

Edited by Keith Houchen
Nonce

On 21 April 2017 at 1:45 PM, Au said:

I tweeted basically the same thing about Free Fire and then of course had all my mates who like Wheatley called me out on it. But one them even liked bloody Kill List so that's an argument I wasn't going to win.

Anyway, I really came here to chime in on the 4DX conversation from a few pages back as it got brought up when a bunch of my mates went to see Fast 8 and hated it as a gimmick. The first film I saw using it was Fantastic Beasts and I thought it was excellent. Added so much to the film and was surprisingly subtle in places.

I enjoyed it so much, I immediately pre-ordered Rogue One tickets for my weekly Cineworld Unlimited crew as they'd been pretty hesitant to try it but I found that a much different experience and definitely agree on the whole "getting beaten up by your chair" thing. I imagine Fast 8 was likely much the same.

I think this is a shame because my initial experience of it proved that that it can add something to the overall viewing experience and clearly depends on who it is that's doing the effects for it.

In Fantastic Beasts, the movement of the seat matched the movement on screen - the opening scene where he arrives in New York by boat actually felt like I was on a boat. During action sequences, the seat moved with the action, like you were following it. Speaking to my mate the next day, I compared it to one of those rollercoaster simulators you used to see in the 90's (whatever happened to them?)

I have no idea why you'd want to add force feedback to feel like you're the one getting shot or punched like they did in Rogue One. Doesn't add anything, doesn't enhance or compliment the scene at all.

It's something that could be a great gimmick if used properly but it's largely being used in a pretty hamfisted way and I think it's spoiling the experience and putting off people who might otherwise enjoy it.

Yeah do agree with this. I have seen Suicide Squad which I thought was cool as the gimmick worked well, seen Beauty & The Best which was also decent but also seen Power Rangers which was terrible and shaking the whole way through the film and wasn't even in 3D either which was weird. 

I guess its finding the balance between making it worth the extra cost and actually not over doing it at the same time, I do think the air effects/water effects are really cool though.

I would have loved to have seen Mad Max in 4DX but would probably be crippled now had I done so. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Is it?  Had a quick look on Syfy and some King Arthur thing is on, there is something else on Horror.

EDIT - Ah, the Sky Monster thingy.  Apologies

No worries, I get confused with them all myself.

• Paid Members

Has anyone seen Rules Don't Apply? Any good? I'm Billy no mates this week and not sure whether to make the effort and go out tomorrow night to watch it on my own. It's not on at my local Odeon next week so will miss the chance to use my Limitless card if I don't go this week

• Paid Members

I wasn't a massive fan of it. Squandered a good cast and premise. One of those films that wasn't entirely sure what it wanted to be.

On a related note, for everything Warren Beatty has done and seen in Hollywood, he's a really fucking boring interview.

• Paid Members

Warren Beaty has almost no patter, which annoyed me too. I always thought he'd be a charmer, but it appears he's gotten by on just being Warren Beaty.

George Hamilton, however, is a anecdote machine about the good old days and his beer can cock.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was just as fun as the first one.  The story isn't as strong but with all the characters established it has plenty of great moments. Big Dave really has the best laughs in this one. It does tend to turn in to an extended Baby Groot toy commercial at times as well but that's OK because Baby Groot is ace. I wonder how much Diesel got paid for that.

We saw it last night too, great fun. Big Dave was fantastic, his delivery is spot on and I want a Drax solo movie now.

Vin Diesel also did motion capture this time round for Groot, so he wasn't just getting paid for the very few lines (if you can call them that) that he did have. 

One part that I just thought was really sweet

When Groot is sitting on Quill's knee and they're listening to 'Father & Son', and Quill is just supporting him so he doesn't fall off

The guy who felt the need to give the Wonder Woman trailer a standing ovation can fuck off though

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Loved guardians of the Galaxy. It's getting a lot of stick for having too much comedy ( which I don't understand because it's a comedy film) but it's got some cracking visual gags and it has so much more style than any other comic book film, it's what Suicide Squad seemed to be aiming for 

the young Kurt Russell CGI was perfect. Easily the best use of that type of technology so far. Comparing it to the Jeff Bridges stuff from Tron 2.0 is like night and day

• Paid Members

Yeah, maybe not as strong as the first film, as a whole, but the comedy part of it was very strong. It's a good sequel. I agree with all praise of Big Dave - he's been the star in the last two films.

The ending was touching and I agree with chokeout about the Father and Son scene mentioned.

Edited by ColinBollocks