DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Not essential, but wouldn't do any harm to have seen it

I'm not quite sure how you think this? It's without doubt absolutely essential to watch prometheus before this as you wouldn't have a clue about The Engineers, their involvement in creation, David, Elizabeth Shaw and Weiland's motives. 

Alien Covenant is a direct sequal to prometheus in the end.

After three years, I finally finished all 25 films in the Zatoichi boxset. I don't think there was a bad one in the bunch, certainly a handful I didn't enjoy quite so much but every single entry had something going for it. 

People complain about too many sequels and remakes these days, but they released 25 Zatoichi films in 11 years. An insane pace.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I watched Covenant before I'd finished Prometheus.  They recap enough in Covenant to not make it essential to have seen Prometheus, but obviously it doesn't hurt.

The bonus of not seeing Prometheus is you don't have to be subjected to Idris Elba's comedy accent.

Horses for courses and all that crap, but not seeing the full extent of David's actions in Prometheus and seeing what he did to Shaw's partner to create the chaos in the first place (as this bit isn't alluded to in covenant) won't create the full picture at all for the viewer. 

Whilst you're right you could plug the holes somewhat to make it coherent viewing, it's only half the story.

Watched 'Anomalisa' on Netflix.

Cracking little film this. The animation style and voice work give this a really odd feel. It's funny, relatable and at the same time a completely uncomfortable viewing experience. Treads the line of ambiguity nicely. I don't want to give anything away. I just recommend watching it.

• Awards Moderator

Watched 'Don't Think Twice' tonight. I don't remember it getting a UK cinema release but got it on iTunes and am so pleased I did, excellent film. It's about an improv group (not an improvised film though, it's got Keegan-Michael Key and Gillian Jacobs in it) so I was expecting to recognise some of the parts based around that, but ended up really connecting to the themes running through it about friendship and moving on and things like that. Great stuff. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Wrasslin said:

Might have to go on Kaufman kick and rewatch Synecdoche, New York.

Quality director.

He's no Lloyd Kaufman.

I saw the new Pirates of the Caribbean film yesterday, unsurprisingly it was complete nonsense and seemed to last for hours. Also quite a lot of the film was so dark you could barely make out what was going on which is seemingly a trend in recent movies and one I certainly can't get behind, I can't imagine how dark it is in 3D. It was very piratey though, I'll give it that.

It's insane how action packed films are now, when I was a kid the ultimate film for OTT action was Commando but there were probably 10 times as many fights and improbable death defying stunts in Pirates 5 as there were in that and it's a kid's film. 

• Paid Members
On 2017-5-15 at 0:02 AM, Devon Malcolm said:

I'd say it's pretty important to see it first. It will probably put you off seeing Covenant because it's so awful though.

You're going to hate me for this, I await a - 1 burst from all film lovers, but I preferred Prometheus to Covenant. 

I was really looking forward to Covenant though, so expectations make disappointment possible and that deflation feel more pronounced. 

Some of the CGI looked really shitty to me too. But then I'm just not a big fan of it's huge use, and in my opinion overuse,  in modern films I do bother to watch. 

It felt like it was straddling a line trying to be like both Alien and Aliens in what it delivers and fell short, leaving my feeling a bit disengaged with it at times.