DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It would appear so

On 4/30/2017 at 10:25 PM, The Cutting Edge said:

Do you seek these people out? 

Good news. At my screening, no ovation :-)

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Really liked it, not quite as good for me as the original on first watch, but sure that will change for repeat screenings

• Paid Members

There's a superhero thread for all this cape poofery.

Furious 8 was ok but a predictable disappointment that forgets a lot of its own commentary on family. The bit in New York was fantastic though.

Ghost In The Shell was pretty good. Much better than the original in that it's comprehensible and not filled with endless boring monologues.

Still comics though, and no, Persepolis isn't the same thing because I like that.  I didn't know Snowpiercer started life as a comic until after I'd seen it, that lost a point when I found that out.

I want to watch the Aliens films again over the next week ready for Covenant. What is the general consensus on the best version of each?

Oh, and went to see Guardians 2 yesterday. A great film all round. Lots of fun, great visuals and effects, good acting from all involved and all the main characters get the required screen time.

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

Covenant is a sequel to Prometheus and a prequel to Alien so you should be fine if you've just watched Prometheus although I've no idea how much they are linked.

The best version of each film usually causes debate on here and it usually comes down to:

Alien Directors Cut (the additions are so minimal it won't affect anything)

Watch the normal version of Aliens, love it, then immediately watch the directors cut.

The re-edit of Alien3

THEN STOP

• Paid Members

Personally I wouldn't bother with the theatrical version of Aliens. Other than when it's shown on TV, I've not watched it since the director's cut came out.

For me, Alien is an either/or, in that I enjoy both equally. 

Alien3 is better as the re-edit.

Prometheus has not aged well.