DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched Secret Life Of Pets the other night. Some funny jokes, but the story is pretty generic. I watched the shorts on the special features as well. What's the point of those Minion things?

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

What's the general opinion of "Napoleon Dynamite" here? I'm mildly warming to it after it was on FilmFour on Sunday.

I found it incredibly overrated when it first came out. Had a few lol moments and that was it. Not a fan of Nacho Libre the spiritual sequel by the same director 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

The Red Turtle was entirely the other end of the spectrum.  No explosions, no fanfare, and no dialogue.  It's a Ghibli co-production, so don't go in expecting Totoro style animation, but it's exceptional.  It's very much a film that happens to be animated, rather than a cartoon for kids, so I'm not entirely sure how younger kids (sub 10) would cope.  The blu-ray is up on Amazon to pre-order, in what may be a misprice at £8, so I've stuck that in too.  The Picture House chain and art indies are probably your best bet as there was literally a solitary Odeon and a solitary Cineworld booking for it nationwide when I was booking up.  It's not something that needs to be seen on a bigscreen, but seen with a lack of distraction, which is far easier for me to achieve in a cinema than my front room.

Brilliant, eh?

It's both profound and a bit daft. The lack of dialogue and what not doesn't come off as pretentious because the music used against the beautiful animation is seamless.

I went in not knowing what to expect. Initially, I thought "this looks great, but it's a bit silly", but come the end I decided to take a few minutes and watch the credits, because I was terrified I'd start bawling like a tit when I walked by the nearby Subway.

Finally got round to watching The Lego Batman Movie this afternoon, really enjoyable film but the first Lego Movie still shades it for me though I loved the interaction between Will Arnett's Batman and Zack Galifianakis' Joker

Also watched Doomed!, the documentary about Roger Corman's Fantastic Four film that was made but never officially released. Fascinating documentary, you could see a lot of anger in some of the talking heads when talking about some of the incidents that went on with that production. One guy really lays into Stan Lee at one point and you see handheld footage of Stan talking about the film at a con in August 1993 with a blurb stating that both Stan and Avi Arad refused to take part in the documentary

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, Nick Soapdish said:

I found it incredibly overrated when it first came out. Had a few lol moments and that was it. Not a fan of Nacho Libre the spiritual sequel by the same director 

Not checked it out yet, but I bet "Napoleon Dynamite" basically fucked that guy playing hims career. Least the "Harry Potter" guy made some coin out of it.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

didn't Heder shun the limelight and just go into voice acting either?

i loved Napolean Dynamite when it came out. Hated the first viewing but it intrigued me, ended up loving it. I haven't seen it in 10 years or so though, i aint sure if it would hold up.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

didn't Heder shun the limelight and just go into voice acting either?

i loved Napolean Dynamite when it came out. Hated the first viewing but it intrigued me, ended up loving it. I haven't seen it in 10 years or so though, i aint sure if it would hold up.

isn't that code for couldn't get any work in acting so went into voice acting? He did a couple of films around that time, biggest being Blades of Glory, but I don't think he was very good really.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Finally got round to watching The Lego Batman Movie this afternoon, really enjoyable film but the first Lego Movie still shades it for me though I loved the interaction between Will Arnett's Batman and Zack Galifianakis' Joker

Also watched Doomed!, the documentary about Roger Corman's Fantastic Four film that was made but never officially released. Fascinating documentary, you could see a lot of anger in some of the talking heads when talking about some of the incidents that went on with that production. One guy really lays into Stan Lee at one point and you see handheld footage of Stan talking about the film at a con in August 1993 with a blurb stating that both Stan and Avi Arad refused to take part in the documentary

Doomed! is great fun - I have a soft spot for documentaries about movies that were never made, or that could have been drastically different to how they ended up.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Napoleon Dynamite is overly quirky for the sake of it bollocks. Not as bad as Juno in the respect but not far off. Uncle Rico is the only good thing in it.

I'm a big fan of Pedro. Napoleon is the worst character in it. Pedro barely says anything. Mostly visual gags, but he's hilarious. Especially when he's got his team in his Latino Heat-mobile threatening people.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Watched a lot of Jason Statham films recently and I liked most of them. Hummingbird was a particular treat. Statham doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves.

Not only was he pretty much the only dedicated action film star for about 10 years back there, almost single-handedly keeping the B-tier action film going, but he's also a more than accomplished dramatic actor. He's a national treasure and we should value him.

Also, he should have won Best Supporting Actor for Spy.