DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

37 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Presumably the fact it was a bit/a lot of a flop commercially. I don't think it did well at the box office.

Oh, I thought people were meaning there was some sort of studio meddling going on similar to what he experienced with Ant-Man. I don't think I've (knowingly) seen anything he's done since Hot Fuzz

I've watched a shitload recently and will have a proper post later, but a fresh one we've just finished would be Rock Dog with the kids. A fairly easy romp about a wannabe dog rock star striving to make the big time, but with some nice touches for the adults and a soundtrack which includes Radiohead and Foo Fighters among others. 3 rashers of Bacon out of 5 

• Paid Members

Just got back from Baby Driver and my suspicions that it wouldn't be very good were well founded. What surprised me most of all was that it wasn't very funny at all.

Plus, the name reveal is the worst moment in cinema since the (500) Days Of Summer name reveal.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Just got back from Baby Driver and my suspicions that it wouldn't be very good were well founded. What surprised me most of all was that it wasn't very funny at all.

Plus, the name reveal is the worst moment in cinema since the (500) Days Of Summer name reveal.

Surprised to hear that tbh. It's been practically universally lauded, was looking forward to it.

• Paid Members
52 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Strange that. It got plenty of laughs when I saw it (even the masks)

What were your issues (other then it not being funny and Jamie Foxx). I mean not sure what you wanted, it wasn't supposed to be a flat out comedy

• Paid Members

The bit with the masks was the only funny bit i remember but that's sort of my point.

I never said I expected it to be a straight comedy but for a film with this setup and tone, it shouldn't have been anywhere near as serious as it was.

The romance was pure Nescafe Gold Blend material. The action was sporadic until it turns into a slasher film at the end. The car chases were really poorly done - I don't care what's going on inside the car, show me outside it! And then there's the character twist near the end which made no sense. As for the name reveal, jesus, why would anyone think that's a good idea.

That's probably enough to be going on with. 

• Paid Members

If you'd told me 7 or 8 years ago that Edgar Wright would direct an action comedy and get it so, so wrong I wouldn't have believed you for a second. A real shame. 

• Paid Members

I'm sticking to my memories of Spaced, brother. Nothing can sully them. Not even these over stylised pieces of gik like Scott Pilgrim and Baby Driver.

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion tune is good though. But sure, I could listen to that driving me own Ford Focus and get more satisfaction.

• Paid Members

Agreed. Plus it did remind me that we used to have a poster round here called Jon Tenta Blues Explosion, which is still the best internet username ever.

Late to the party as usual but I absolutely fucking loved John Wick. What an amazingly good film! Total enjoyment and I can't wait to watch the second instalment.  Keanu was perfect and Swearengen and Lt Daniels were nice to see.  Plus, and I'm sorry about this Dev, my girlfriend is a comic book fan and we are going to a party at fab cafe which encourages Fancy Dress, or Cosplay as nerds call it.  She suggest that because I'm such a handsome bastard, I should grow a beard, pop on a suit and carry a small stuffed dog and a toy gun around for it.