DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Cosplay is the only good thing about comic books, so I wholeheartedly encourage such behaviour.

As for John Wick, the sequel is several times better so wait until you get to that!

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Cosplay is the only good thing about comic books, so I wholeheartedly encourage such behaviour.

As for John Wick, the sequel is several times better so wait until you get to that!

No wonder we clash!

i though JW2 was a disappointing sequel. I mean, the 2nd half of the film, after it kicks off, is great. But felt like a dull build up to anything decent.

still excited for the third one and the series though

• Paid Members

John Wick 2 is one of the greatest action films of the century. It's also a gorgeous piece of work artistically. It's got more fresh ideas and concepts in it than anything I've seen in the genre for ages.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, D@mm said:

John Wick was ruined for me when the dog got killed at the start, I can't watch films or tv shows where an animal dies.

I really want to see John Wick, but I really don't want to see the dog get killed. It's a dilemma.

• Paid Members

The two John Wick films are worth getting through the killing of the beast. It's impossible to not find the slickness of the production a bit jaw-dropping.

The 2nd is more of the same, but better. As Chest points out, packed with cool concepts.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Took the kids to see Despicable Me 3 today. Was OK, not as good as the 2nd one, and the jokes wearing a bit thin. The scenes with the baddie Balthazar Bratt were the highlights and there's enough 80s references to keep parents amused, but the charm has kind of rubbed off. Kids enjoyed it though and that's what matters I guess?

also saw the trailer for The Emoji Movie and it looked OK, and now I  don't know myself. 

• Paid Members

Okja is an incredible bit of work. Hops between genres, without losing any focus, and the strong message the film wants to tell never feels forced or clunky, or gets in the way of making a good film (which happens time and again). Given the past few weeks of horror, in this country, it was hard not to have a wee cry.

Bong Joon-ho is one of those directors now, where you're expecting exceptionalism, and this very much delivered. Beautiful.

Baby Driver, on the other hand, is just ok. Not bad, or anything, just a bit underwhelming. It's undeniably stylish and has a few cool moments, but it isn't particularly funny and I thought Ansel Elgort was charmless for most of it, and the film is clearly trying it's hardest to charm the pants off you.

• Paid Members

I say Baby Driver last night and wasn't massively impressed. Visually and music-wise it was very well made and inspired at times but character and story were incredibly clunky and flat. You can't really buy into the central love story when the two characters have only had about 2-3 scenes together.

• Paid Members

I watched Alien:Covenant the other day. Fucking hell it was a chore. I really don't understand their insistence on shoe-horning all the existentialism and creation rubbish into the franchise. its sad some of the shite that Ridley Scott is churning out now, I'm glad he's not directing the Blade Runner sequel, it at least gives a glimmer of hope he won't fuck that up as well  

To summarise; CGI aliens still look shit, Fassbender is still wonderful, nobody cares where the Aliens came from.