DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Just watched Kong-Skull Island.  Very dumb, but great fun.  Good variety of monsters and the big guy is in it for a good chunk, unlike Godzilla.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Just watched Kong-Skull Island.  Very dumb, but great fun.  Good variety of monsters and the big guy is in it for a good chunk, unlike Godzilla.

I caught this at the Cinema. I love King Kong the character. Love the original and like a lot of the 2005 version, but I thought this put an interesting twist on things and John C Reily stole it. I thought the much larger Kong worked (I am sure I read he is 3 times the size of the original King Kong/76/King Kong Lives/2005 version) which was done to set up the Kong / Godzilla movie. The only weak link in it for me was Hiddleston who I felt was very blah and that role could have been played by anyone.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Take / Bastille Day was two tons of fun.  Cheers to D-Mal for the recommendation 

Glad you enjoyed it! Shame no other bugger went to see it, think they could have got a franchise out of it.

On Kong: Skull Island, it was good fun too. I agree on Hiddleston, he was as bland as shit. Plus Brie Larson got nowt to do. I'm assuming there will be a sequel as it did great at the box office, hopefully they'll bin Hiddleston for someone who actually looks as though they're trying.

• Paid Members

Bastille Day was shlocky and pretty awful, I thought. Any film that tries to intersperse stock footage in an attempt to making you think there's an actual riot immediately loses points in my book. It just seemed like an attempt to make a Taken-esque vehicle for Idris Elba.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, Au said:

Bastille Day was shlocky and pretty awful, I thought. Any film that tries to intersperse stock footage in an attempt to making you think there's an actual riot immediately loses points in my book. It just seemed like an attempt to make a Taken-esque vehicle for Idris Elba.

I have no issues with that at all to be honest. Lots of films do that, even big blockbusters so you must feel that way about a lot of films

50 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Glad you enjoyed it! Shame no other bugger went to see it, think they could have got a franchise out of it.

On Kong: Skull Island, it was good fun too. I agree on Hiddleston, he was as bland as shit. Plus Brie Larson got nowt to do. I'm assuming there will be a sequel as it did great at the box office, hopefully they'll bin Hiddleston for someone who actually looks as though they're trying.

Yep, and having seen Room weeks before seeing Kong I felt sorry for her. She did the best with what she had. No sequel to Skull Island, it was a one and done unfortunately. I believe the next film will be Kong vs Godzilla which will follow after Godzilla, King of The Monsters which i think is out next year or the year after.

• Paid Members

Oh, they're doing a sort of universe thing with it, aren't they.

Not really seen Larson in much, haven't seen Room yet. But she was great fun in Free Fire.

45 minutes ago, Au said:

Oh yeah, had it not been for big Driss I probably wouldn't have any interest in it.  It was a total throwaway film, like a Bourne lite, but that's what I was hoping for.

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Nick Soapdish said:

I have no issues with that at all to be honest. Lots of films do that, even big blockbusters so you must feel that way about a lot of films

Yeah, I find it really takes me out of it. In Bastille Day especially, it felt super low rent to me. I thought the way they did it in the last Bourne film was considerably better, although I think they probably just had several hundred extras to make it feel more real.

See also: the way they shot the ground battle in Independence Day Resurgence. At no point was my disbelief suspended enough that I was able to imagine the humans and the alien were a part of the same scene. I'm not even complaining that it's a bad film (it was, though) but for a production that cost $165M, there's no excuse for the way those scenes were shot to feel so cheap.

• Paid Members

Watched Okja last night. I enjoyed it, though felt it was tonally a bit all over the place, and far too heavy-handed - though it was offbeat and odd enough that it never felt like it was just moralising, which it could easily have done.

Watched War For The Planet Of The Apes last night.

An absolutely beautiful film. Really well paced. The guy that plays the antagonist in the film does a really good job throughout, with all the kinks in his armour etc. He's very good at what he does in the  film. 

I wont lie, it was pretty emotional in parts, one in particular, but was a worthy end for a trilogy that u like some others, has had no faults with any of its 3 films.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, FattHardy said:

An absolutely beautiful film. Really well paced. The guy that plays the antagonist in the film does a really good job throughout, with all the kinks in his armour etc. He's very good

It's Woody Harrelson isn't it? Unless the trailer is super misleading. 

• Awards Moderator
25 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I really fancy War PotA but both the cinemas in my town (same chain!) are only showing it in 3d and cheap non-imax 3d gives me a splitting headache.

I thought that was the case up here, but I think that's only for 'previews' - from Friday onwards they have it in 2D as well, so that might be the case for you too.

• Paid Members

War for the Planet of the Apes is either too magnificent for me to comprehend or it’s bang average, and I’m really in a pickle as to which it is.

I really, truly enjoyed it but I was so overawed by the CGI and visuals (scenery etc) and how this is leading up to “Goshdarn you all to heck” moment, that I got lost for a while and I don’t think that’s a good thing.
Whatever my opinion, Serkis deserves every positive accolade going and he really should – but won’t – get an Oscar nod for his performances over the series.

Truth be told, I missed Koba and Woody Harrellson – who I normally love watching – was fucking atrocious and performed like he was in an Austin Powers movie.

Thankfully, the title is not easily acronym’d the way Dawn was/is, as when I went to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, some fucking scrote ahead of me goes “Yeah, like, one to DOTPOTA and can I have a poster too”