DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

They don't even use the song in the film. The only reason it seems to be called that is because there are a couple of dogs in it. Honestly, that's it.

I had the day off work the other day, and it was sunny and out of nowhere I decided to put Schindlers List on. You know to cheer myself up whilst I'm severely depressed. Haven't seen it in years. 

Anyway, it really is a cracking film. Feels weird saying that, but it is. Liam Neeson is superb, but Ralph Fiennes is phenomenal. The nonchalance of the evil when he's on his balcony taking shots is just something else. Like it's all very boring and he has nothing better to do. 

The scene where he dismisses the lad scrubbing the tub, then checks his nail and his flicking hair before he starts taking shots at him is just chilling. Definitely should've got the Oscar.

Anyway I am bereft of imagination at the moment, so any of you guys recommend me a film to watch tonight? Anything and I'll put it on. Preferably on Netflix. Cheers 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Like @DJMsays, it's pretty run-of-the-mill stuff. The critics always seem to cack themselves at this sort of film but that's nowt to recommend it for besides Emma Booth, who is excellent in it. I wouldn't bother with it. I wish I'd gone to see The Big Sick instead.

Very interested to see what you think of The Big Sick if you get around to it. I thought it was a bit meh, but it's getting great reviews so I'm wondering if I should give it another go 

• Paid Members

It's a total rip-off of loads of horror films, mainly The Beyond (the ending especially) and Prince Of Darkness but overall I quite liked it, mainly because I like most of the films it's aping. Except The Beyond which I thought was crap.

• Paid Members

Well, The Beyond is a cracker of a film, but in general, I agree with you. I feel like The Void felt like someone dumped a medium-sized bucket of money on some fans who had always spouted off about how horror was better "then", and how they could do a better job. Caught between too pole - for me, the creepy non-wiggling gore monster bits were way better, but that's not what these lads are about, and probably made horror fans very happy.

i loved their short in one of the XYZs of horror, the he-man pastiche.

• Paid Members

The only Lucio Fulci film I've really liked to date is The New York Ripper. Can't get into his horror films at all. I find them too slow-paced and the deaths are stupidly drawn-out for my liking. I'd like to see more of his crime and giallo stuff though.

I watched Chernobyl Diaries last night and despite it clearly being absolutely awful - I quite liked it. No idea why, but I didn't hate it at all.

• Paid Members

Was really looking forward to Dunkirk, even paid extra for the SuperScreen/Atmos combo.

bang average. I think it's got great sound effects, but another boring Hans Zimmer. But the lack of character development meant I felt almost nothing. This from someone who cried at  War of the Planet of the Apes. Clearly well filmed but just an empty experience after the excellent opening. There were other good sequences but not enough for the masterpiece it's being held as

• Paid Members

I got around to watching Dunkirk on IMAX last night whilst it was very good, I found it had the same problems as interstellar in that half the time I couldn't hear a single thing the actors were saying. Zimmer's chest ripping score just drowned out the majority of the dialogue. 

After looking into it further it seems that it wasn't just my screening either:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/hit-blockbuster-dunkirk-sparks-flurry-10871298

Something tells me Nolan doesn't give a fuck, but I hope next time around he sorts it out as it took away from the experience somewhat.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, lambyUK said:

I got around to watching Dunkirk on IMAX last night whilst it was very good, I found it had the same problems as interstellar in that half the time I couldn't hear a single thing the actors were saying. Zimmer's chest ripping score just drowned out the majority of the dialogue. 

After looking into it further it seems that it wasn't just my screening either:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/hit-blockbuster-dunkirk-sparks-flurry-10871298

Something tells me Nolan doesn't give a fuck, but I hope next time around he sorts it out as it took away from the experience somewhat.

I don't think he will. The Dark Knight Rises was the same. Especially with Bane.

13 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Empty experience?  Behave yourself.

Not really a spoiler as it's based on an actual historical event:

Hide contents

Surely the motivation is they're getting destroyed, they want to get home and they're scared?  I don't see much else is really needed in terms of character development.

But the thing is

The british ships, the ones that come to the rescue, all 10 of them, bought back over 300k people? That is what was implied but it was impossible. Also to give you an example, love it or hate It, Titanic used the real event and created characters that over the runtime you understood and cared about. In this film, the only 2 charecters you ended up really caring for was George and Cillian Murphy's guy. Everyone else was a glorified extra in terms of development. Which is a shame as the acting was good, just felt flat

Soundtrack spoiler:

Hide contents

The unrelenting clock tick or metronomic soundtrack does its job superbly with regard to ratcheting tension.

The soundtrack I am referencing, as mentioned, Hans Zimmer's standard droning boring and loud music, not the thing you mentioned which I agree

Nolan recently talked about never making a film for Netflix and how he disagreed with it. I think the reason why is he designs his films to be seen on a big screen. The bigger the better. I saw Inception in a preview and loved it. I got it for Christmas that year and even though I had a 5.1 surround sound system, the experience was nowhere near as good and I actually starting noticing things about the film that pissed me off. I didn't like it. And I think Dunkirk will be the same. the Dolby Atmos and Giant Screen added to the experience and I have already said to my wife you should try and catch it at the Cinema as It will not be the same watching it on a 46" screen 

Edited by Nick Soapdish