DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm all for as much John Wick branches as they can give me! I love the whole mythos of the "universe" for want of a term.

Tell them..tell them all...whoever comes, whoever it is, I'll kill them. I'll kill them all.

That line, and with the fucking conviction he said it with. Just even typing that, I've hairs upended from my undercarriage upwards.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

This Dark Universe thing is flawed from the outset. They're releasing and announcing these things like there haven't been half a million Mummy and Frankenstein and Dracula films down the decades. People are bored with this stuff. It's doomed from the outset.

From what I heard, Cruise wanted The Mummy to be more like the Stephen Sommers reboot and more of an action adventure whereas the studio wanted it to be darker and more horror-based. Which is why it ended up with about the weakest 15 certificate I've seen for ages. It's a better film when it's what Cruise aimed for. When it tries to be a horror film, it's absolutely awful.

This year they announced the Dark Universe, Power Rangers was the first of 5 planned films and King Arthur one of 6. All leading up to their releases. All bombed, against expectations and only the Dark Universe looks likely to push ahead, slim chance for Power Rangers.

we discussed Universal Orlando building a 3rd gate. But what could go in it as there are no major franchises anymore. Even F&F, probably Universal's biggest franchise couldn't entertain more then one attraction. Movie studios are desperate for a franchise 

3 minutes ago, Refused said:

I finally got round to watching The Godfather trilogy, only took me about a decade. I would rank them - 

1) De Niro sections of Part 2

2) The Godfather

3) The rest of Part 2

4) Part 3

Can't remember which network, but someone recut it as a 9 hour series in chronological order.  You can't go splitting bits of films in rankings though, especially one where those two bits are so intertwined.

ID2 anyone? 

Absolutely hilarious. First 5 minutes, Billy Mitchell says the word catenaccio and I'm hooked.

Shadwell have been taken over by a Russian oligarch called Vukovitch, the fans are unhappy as prices have risen, Shadwell have qualified for the Europa Cup.

Lee Ross (of Press Gang fame), plays a simpleton called Gumbo, Neil Pearson crops up, spurious EDL-ish subplot against Muslims (or Muzzies as they keep saying), dramatic ending. Fucking hilarious.

I am so far behind on "modern classics" that I haven't seen and I chose to put this on instead. I'm beyond help. 

Definitely better than Green Street, but a few steps behind genre behemoth Football Factory. 

2 Jog On's out of 5

• Moderators
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I'll be honest mate, it's been YEARS since I watched the first one. 

He is a tour de force in ID2 I tell you that. 

What's great/terrible about ID2 is that they clearly realised Gumbo was the only thing anyone remembered about the first film, and figured they'd take his undefined comedy disability and run stagger with it. ID2 is literally Gumbo fanfic, virtually a spin-off, and I highly recommend 'fans' of the first film to seek it out, because it is unintentionally hilarious. Fahkin' love you, Gumbo.

• Paid Members

Finally watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and pleasantly it lived up to the hype and expectation. 

I'll work through the book too, when I get a bit more with things. Any opinions on which is better? 

• Paid Members

I bought Get Out at the weekend and watched it last night. It's even better on second viewing. Everything seems to be hinting at where the story is going, the characters dialogue, the acting (the dinner party scene especially!), even posters on the wall in the bedroom. The first line in the film after the prologue is "stay woke"! It's clear a lot of thought has gone into the script and the direction - please go and watch it if you haven't already.

The blu ray had an alternate ending which was -

Chris continues to choke Rose until she dies. The police car turns up, but its not his mate, its two white cops who arrest him and take him away. It then cuts to a scene with Chris in prison being visited by his mate who is trying to get names and details from Chris to clear his name. Chris looks tired and downbeat, says to his friend "I can't remember.... at least I stopped them" and is then carted back off to his cell

2 hours ago, waters44 said:

I bought Get Out at the weekend and watched it last night. It's even better on second viewing. Everything seems to be hinting at where the story is going, the characters dialogue, the acting (the dinner party scene especially!), even posters on the wall in the bedroom. The first line in the film after the prologue is "stay woke"! It's clear a lot of thought has gone into the script and the direction - please go and watch it if you haven't already.

The blu ray had an alternate ending which was -

Reveal hidden contents

Chris continues to choke Rose until she dies. The police car turns up, but its not his mate, its two white cops who arrest him and take him away. It then cuts to a scene with Chris in prison being visited by his mate who is trying to get names and details from Chris to clear his name. Chris looks tired and downbeat, says to his friend "I can't remember.... at least I stopped them" and is then carted back off to his cell

I haven't listened to it yet but apparently the commentary with the director is great. He also did the movie crypt podcast recently which is well worth a listen.

I'm glad they didn't go with that alternate ending. Much prefer the one they went with.