DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I enjoyed Atomic Blonde. Hyper stylised muck, but nicely paced and nicely done hyper stylised muck. I also love McAvoy's smile. It makes me smile.

For all its flaws, I actually really enjoyed The Hitmans Bodyguard. It felt like a Shane Black vehicle at times, which is always a good thing and the chemistry between Reynolds and Jackson has me wanting a sequel. So job done.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Two films I was looking forward to that I'll probably miss at the cinema because of these summer holidays. I was hoping the latter might be a surprise, encouraging to hear you enjoyed it, I was hoping it might at least be as enjoyable as Central Intelligence.

• Paid Members

I enjoyed both, D-Mal, for what that's worth.

Atomic Blonde has that neo-noir feel with that odd neon 80s grading, much like the first John Wick (given the director, it’s not surprising) and it’d be perfectly reasonable to call it an offshoot of Wick. I know Klaus there said it was more akin to Bourne than Wick but I disagree completely. It’s far more violent and humorous than Bourne and although unfair to compare it to John Wick, it can stand on its own two feet, while slightly hiding behind it’s bigger, better brother in John Wick when it has to, if that makes sense.

Apparently there’s a nod to Wick in there for the eagle eyes among us, but I missed it...

Hitmans Bodyguard seems to be getting shited on, but I love an old buddy movie and it’s more Lethal Weapon or The Nice Guys than 12 Blocks. I think you’ll enjoy it, sir.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I must say that I enjoyed 12 Blocks when I watched that last year, I always forget it when talking about buddy cop films.

Hopefully at least one of those will still be knocking about at the cinema when they go back to school.

• Moderators

I watched two films yesterday when very hungover.

Baywatch was really fucking bad. At times mildly entertaining. There's no way in earth I could have got through it if I was watching it on my own.

Later I watched Youth in Revolt. Which I didn't have high expectations of but it was a perfectly decent way to kill some time. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a Michael Cera film that's a Wes Anderson knock off.

• Awards Moderator

I think this just about scrapes into this thread because: that incredible scene in Jaws where Robert Shaw gets drunk and sobers up quickly talking about the USS Indianapolis, and how the sharks circle the survivors? Well they just found the wreckage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40991326

The story of this ship is even more incredible than the one Quint gives. Torpedoed while transporting parts of a nuclear weapon, nobody responded to their distress calls. Nobody chased it being missing either. The captain of the vessel was court-martialled, even when the Japanese sub commander testified that he couldn't have done anything about it. He eventually committed suicide, unable to handle the blame. He was exonerated in 2000 as a result of a 12 year old's research.

Death Note.

Fuck me, it's terrible, I mean proper stinker.  It's all over the place, like they just didn't bother explaining anything and expect you to just go "Oh, alright then".  The only good thing is the soundtrack, which is fantastic.  What with this and Blair Witch, Adam Wingard has some way to get back in Kool Keiths good books.

Hitman's Bodyguard tonight. Can't say it was a particularly good film, and was only really notable for the excellent scenes shared between Reynolds and Jackson. Everything else felt either massively cliched or completely unoriginal, the action sequences in particular doing nothing at all to stand out or be different in any way. Just the same, formulaic car chases you'll see in every action movie ever, but without the tension or suspense. There was some gaping plot holes and the completely bland "evil foreigners" did nothing for me, but thankfully the movie never presents itself as anything over than an over the top, turn your brain off watch. It didn't feel like a two hour movie. 

Edited by AdamTH17

• Moderators

Goon 2 is amazing, nearly as good as the first. If I ever get married I want to be married to Alison Pill please. So fucking likeable. 

Also Liev Schriber returns and a film with The Schribe is a film to imbibe. He's as brilliant as always in it. 

Edited by PowerButchi

What's considered the best cut of Blade Runner?

I'm wanting to give it a rewatch before 2049 comes out and because it's been years since I've seen it. I got the box set edition when The Final Cut came out on DVD, but I don't think I've ever actually watched that one. I think I always just stuck to The Director's Cut. Would it be worth giving Final Cut a go?

The final cut/Directors cut are the best 2, they're fairly interchangeable with very few noticeable differences apart from some scenes run on a little longer/shorter. The final cut does have a few wanky lingering shots on the sets and background action before the scenes take place. I bought this boxset when it was first released and I am surprised it is still worth a good chunk, considering my local HMV was filled with tons of them being sold for 15 quid before it closed down.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Runner-5-Disc-Ultimate-Collectors/dp/B000VPP84W