DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Saw American Made last night (figured to see that over IT as had been out longer).

I didn't know the story so went in blind. I thought it was really well done and I have fully turned on Tom Cruise. I think he has been knocking it out of the park recently.

plus, for you FNL fans, two alumni!

Edited by Nick Soapdish

21 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

Yes, but can't place it.  Can you tell me more?

I think it started as a road movie where they go off the beaten track and end up in a chainsaw massacre type of situation.  I really can't remember fuck all else about it though, I was stoned out of my brain most of that decade.  I think it might have been on Film 4 Extreme but not sure.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

I think it started as a road movie where they go off the beaten track and end up in a chainsaw massacre type of situation.  I really can't remember fuck all else about it though, I was stoned out of my brain most of that decade.  I think it might have been on Film 4 Extreme but not sure.

There's several it could be.  I'll have a think.

• Paid Members
On 13/09/2017 at 2:57 PM, Loki said:

The cannibals theme reminded me of an old horror movie, probably 90s, with the usual crazy-family-old-house-backwoods which near the end had a couple of weird pig-human freaks come out of the woodwork in the last reel.  Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Motel Hell?

I watched four films by Nacho Vigalondo over the last couple of weeks.

Timecrimes, which is a very good sci-fi thriller that has a basic but interesting plot.

Extraterrestrial, which is a really dull sci-fi romantic-comedy, that is not as funny as it thinks it is and that goes nowhere.

Open Windows, which is an entertaining and pretty interesting thriller, but implausible and totally unbelievable.

Colossal; an entertaining sci-fi romantic-comedy with a good cast that includes Anne Hathaway, Jason Sudeikis, Dan Stevens and Tim Blake Nelson. Has a really basic plot though, there is minimal explanation for what is happening, and the characters motivations and reactions are all over the place, but it is still good and well acted.

• Paid Members
On 16/09/2017 at 11:04 PM, Chilly McFreeze said:

Mother! Really not sure how I felt about it. It could be brilliant, or it could be a pretentious pile of crap.

If it's Aronofksy, it's always the latter.

Thought it was dreadful. Rips out bits from Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion, squashes them all together and comes up with his usual boring trifle of pretty visuals and a shiftless plot. Saw the ending coming a mile off too. Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Pfeiffer were superb though but Lawrence is never in anything good.

Also saw American Assassin. Standard action film, Taylor Kitsch was pretty good as was Michael Keaton but there's no reason for this to exist.

Logan Lucky was absolutely brilliant, and probably Steven Soderbergh's best film to date. He should only make these sorts of films, he's shit at everything else. Adam Driver was hilarious, he's a talent and a half. Riley Keough is an absolute treasure too.

Wind River was excellent too. Not quite as good as Hell or High Water and Sicario but still outstanding. Seemed to be missing something in its final act but Jeremy Renner is one of my favourites now, I love that guy.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Logan Lucky was absolutely brilliant, and probably Steven Soderbergh's best film to date. He should only make these sorts of films, he's shit at everything else.

Have you not seen 'Behind The Candelabre'? I loved that.

Saw 'Hidden Figures' this weekend, the true story of black women who worked for NASA in the segregated sixties. Excellent feelgood fare with a belting support turn from Kevin Costner. The bloke from 'Big Bang Theory' (never seen a full episode) is also in it & is decent too. Well worth checking out, especially if you dismissed it as being an Oscar baiting chick flick (or whatever bollocks people say about films).

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

If it's Aronofksy, it's always the latter.

Thought it was dreadful. Rips out bits from Rosemary's Baby and Repulsion, squashes them all together and comes up with his usual boring trifle of pretty visuals and a shiftless plot. Saw the ending coming a mile off too. Jennifer Lawrence and Michelle Pfeiffer were superb though but Lawrence is never in anything good.

Well I'm off to see it at BAFTA this weekend so I'll reserve judgement until then.  I'm about 50/50 on Aronofsky, he's either big hit or big miss for me.

• Moderators

Went to see IT last night. Really enjoyed it for the most part. Good performances from all the kids except maybe Mike.

The only thing that was doing its best to ruin the film for me was the sound / score. It was pretty shit. Very obvious, and telegraphed the tense scenes and made them feel a bit samey in terms of their pacing and structure.

I thought the bully in the metallica metal up your ass t-shirt was a great little touch. Ride the lightning t-shirt design, with the knife coming out the toilet as a very Pennywise imagery.

• Paid Members

Still not 100% sure what to make of Baby Driver. I had really high expectations after the universal praise that was heaped on it but I found the whole thing a bit disjointed & very smug. I totally get why it resonated with some people but it definitely didn’t click the same way for me. Maybe the weight of expectation played a part? It certainly wasn’t shit, Kevin Pacey, John Bernthal & Lily James were all really good & some of the car chases/stunt driving was impressive but I couldn’t shake the feeling that Edgar Wright was desperately trying really hard (too hard) just to make something ‘cool’.

• Paid Members

I'm with you, Mike. I went in expecting to be charmed, but it fell a little flat and turned into a bang on average film. I think my main problem with it is I found Elgort a bit annoying and unconvincing - lacking the previously mentioned 'cool' factor.

In the end, it felt like Wright just saw Guardians and La La Land and decided to throw in some Heat because.

However,  Eiza González is insanely attractive.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

I'm with you, Mike. I went in expecting to be charmed, but it fell a little flat and turned into a bang on average film. I think my main problem with it is I found Elgort a bit annoying and unconvincing - lacking the previously mentioned 'cool' factor.

In the end, it felt like Wright just saw Guardians and La La Land and decided to throw in some Heat because.

Baby Driver was something he had been working on for years as a concept. It started with this Mint Royale video. this compares them

Edited by Nick Soapdish