DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

God's Own Country is pretty good. I've read a few people compare it to Brokeback Mountain, because men's men and gayness, but that's just ridiculously lazy. Personally, I enjoyed it a lot more; funnier for a start. It's very well acted and some of the writing and the way it plays out works very well.

• Awards Moderator
3 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The Circle

Cracking idea, average film.  Although I'd put a lot of that down to a one dimensional True Movies performance from Emma Watson.

I'd recommend the book if you haven't read it - I loved it (like you say, cracking idea) and the film was a terrible disappointment.

• Paid Members

Just finished the Mummy.  Reasonable action, but the shared universe was crowbarred in, and what we with the blatant ripping off of American Werewolf in London?

• Paid Members

"It" is one I'm going to be disappointed with in the cinema. It's the chubby kid storyline that hits home in the original with the psychological aspect of it "It'll be coming back to you fat boy!". I fear this new movie with lose all of this. Psychological horror is amazing.

We saw IT yesterday. I'd give it a 6/10 if I'm being generous. The kids were all a bit wooden, but I don't want to be too harsh on them as they are just child actors afterall, some of the dialogue they had to work with was a bit forced and there's a ropey couple of "hey look, here's a bit like a movie from the 80s! #throwback" moments. It follows a very formulaic structure of here's this kid>here's what they're scared of>here's the next kid...

Bill Skarsgard was OK as Pennywise, but I think they could have pushed it a bit further, but then again you've  got to keep that 15 certificate. There's some good creepy imagery, but some shocking CGI in parts aswell. There is a couple of cool little Easter eggs in one scene with nods to Tim Curry's original Pennyeise, which I quite liked.

There was an audible groan from alot of the audience at the end too-

When it flashed up 'IT: Chapter One'. I'm guessing that most folk hadn't seen the original, so we're expecting it to be all wrapped up, then finding out that they'll have to watch another film to see how it ends

If you've got an unlimited card for one of the cinemas your not losing anything, if not then I'd say wait for it and rent it or until it comes on Sky Movies/Netflix or whatever

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I always thought the girl from IT was a bit free and easy with her affection at the reunion meal with all the lads being a bit handsy but then I heard about what she does in the novel to get them out of the sewer and it takes it to another level. I reckon there's a ravaging bunch of beardy blokes who are appalled at that not being included.

I also saw IT over the weekend and agree with the reviews on here. Maybe the hype let it down for me. I think the fact some of it was toned down to make it a 15 is the difference between this being okay and brilliant. They could have made this a bit more darker with an 18 rating. 

I saw this with the 4DX effects which was pretty good, also our Cineworld had a clown scaring everyone walking into the screening which was good, shame he didn't go round during the film though. 

• Paid Members

I am halfway through watching Baywatch (poorly children stopped us from watching it one go) and at the midway point its a poor knock off of 21 Jump Street with some of the worst CGI I have seen outside of a Sharknado film in quite some time, yet it had a pretty hefty budget

• Paid Members

I quite liked IT - it felt far more "Stephen King-y" than the original movie, almost had a bit of a Stand By Me vibe in places. It's definitely a closer adaptation of the book, and the general feel of his work in general, than the first movie, so I think people's reaction to it is really going to depend on whether they're coming at it as a fresh adaptation of the book, or as a "remake" of an earlier film.

Having read the book before I ever saw the original film, I quite enjoyed it as an adaptation, though I don't know if I'd have liked it half as much if I just went in blind.

Unbreakable was on the other night and it reminded me that Nighty could make a really good film.  So I thought I'd give Split a go.  Didn't know anything about but heard it was a lot better than his usual shite.

I knew nothing about it going in, took me a while to realise it was James McAvoy and thought he was solid throughout. On mobile so won't even try to do spoiler tags, lets just say I really enjoyed it and seems Nighty is back on Track.

• Paid Members

I thoroughly enjoyed It. I smiled and shite my bags in equal measures throughout, so job done and a well done job too.

The scene where the painting came to life shit me up and unnerved me so much that when I went home and it was time for bed, I converted a load of Spongebob episodes from mp4 to mp3 so I could listen to something friendly while going asleep to take my mind off that (and many others throughout) image

I thought the kids were brilliant and much more likeable than their predecessors, and although you can't out-Curry Tim Curry, I actually enjoyed Skarsgård's performance more. Really did. Tim Curry's Pennywise was fantastic and began my obsession with clowns (helped along the way by Mr.Bungle) and I've never understood the fear of them until one particular scene in this remake which was genuinely the first time I’ve ever been unnerved by a so called “scary” clown.

It was during the

projector scene when Bills ma morphed into Pennywise and Skarsgård had this goofy, yet utterly fucking terrifying face where his jaw was to the side. Like someone at an Oakenfold gig at 2am. I can’t explain it, but anyone who’s seen it surely knows what I’m talking about.

Although the goodwill of that terrifying image was sullied by Pennywise

turning into the Cloverfield monster and coming out of the projection. Absolutely unnecessary.

8/10 from me. Loved it.

And Houchey, Unbreakable is one of my all time fave movies. I absolutely adore that flick. Got me through some shit times, that one did.

Edited by Scott Malbranque
Spoiler tags

• Paid Members

Whole psychological thing gives me the creeps. Doesn't "Pennywise" only really.. (in the original TV series) only ..

kill one boy and that's little Georgie at the beginning. When they become older they either top themselves (THIS IS WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOU, 24 HOURS A DAY, You could see how that would hurt the black kid or the overweight kid) or something else strange happens to them

Am i remembering that right?

Edited by bAzTNM#1