DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

37 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Moana. A couple of times actually. Well, what can I say. It is bloody great. It really is.

The story is decent, it's very funny, the casting is good, The Rock is immense in his role , and the soundtrack genuinely might be the best Disney one of all time. The songs are SO catchy, I'm not even annoyed they're all I hum at the moment. 

It is a really good effort. That and Tangled are both way better than Frozen

10 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It is a really good effort. That and Tangled are both way better than Frozen

I really like Tangled. I think Flynn/Eugene is one of the funniest characters they've ever had, and again the soundtrack is excellent. Surprised they haven't followed it up apart from the short and the TV series. 

2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

The main reasoning was that once they'd cut her hair off there wasn't really anywhere they could go for a big feature.

Yeah but that's no reason for turning down hundreds of millions of dollars. Really surprised they didn't milk it to be honest. The short focusing on Max and Pascal is very funny, so there's that. 

The Dark Tower

Passable but underwhelming if it's the start of a series of films and TV shows, but poor and instantly forgettable if it ends up being a stand-alone film. It is lackluster, lifeless, feels rushed and is too short at 90-minutes. The characters and the story are both weak and underdeveloped, the film lacks thrills or excitement, and the likes of Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey are really wasted. Given the source material it has to work with (7 books, all of which have some element of them crammed into the film) and the amount of time it has taken for the film to be made, it should be been much, much better.

38 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Are all the bad reviews for The Dark Tower due to fans of the books moaning? I thought it was alright.

I would guess that it is going to be a mix, with some of the poor reviews from fans who were disappointed by the film (I wouldn't go so far as to say moaning about it), but some are also going to be people who were just not at all impressed by what was a pretty poor film. I have not read any of the books and I just found it to be a really underwhelming and forgettable film that tried to cram too much into its short 90-minute runtime. It is not awful or anything, but it's also not good either really.

2 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

How is "The Running Man" perceived amongst Arnie fans? Just that I've got a weird sensation where I must stick it on.

Bret Hart / Roddy Piper level, just behind the Hogan / Rock of Commando and Predator.