DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Fully agree with D-Mal on this. What an absolutely atrocious flick.

Myself and the missus actually watched it in November last year (when it was called In the Deep) and even herself – who thinks Love Island and Don’t Tell the Bride make for gripping, nerve wracking television – thought it was a load of gik. And how does Modine keep getting work? He's like the bastarding Gary Caldwell of celluloid.

Also, that fucking

Descent/Adrift cop-out hallucination

ending made me cunting sick.

On a vaguely similar note, we watched a flick with the lovely Nora Jane Noone in it called 12 Feet Deep the other night. I fell asleep towards the end, but it was genuinely half decent for the guts of the hour I did see and the missus said the ending was brilliant, but again...Love Island and Don’t Tell the Bride, lads.

• Paid Members

It was absolutely terrible but I think if we're honest, the only three good shark films ever made are Jaws, Jaws 2 and The Spy Who Loved Me. They should stop making them. Matthew Modine hasn't been worth a shit for about 15 years.

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Matthew Modine hasn't been worth a shit for about 15 years.

Watched Full Metal Jacket the other day, the next day I watched Transporter 2 and thought was he always this shit and Kubrick hid it brilliantly?

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It was absolutely terrible but I think if we're honest, the only three good shark films ever made are Jaws, Jaws 2 and The Spy Who Loved Me. They should stop making them. Matthew Modine hasn't been worth a shit for about 15 years.

I enjoyed his turn in Stranger Things.

• Paid Members

And I remember when some people where championing him for the Joker roll in The Dark Knight and had subsequent shite fits because he didn't get it, after Ledger got the job.

On shark movies, I have a soft spot for Deep Blue Sea though because it was a first date movie I had with me sons ma, and the cinema was great fun that night. Cunts screaming and shouting all over the shop. Just a great atmosphere that night, whatever was in the air...

• Paid Members

You're right, Branquey, forgot about Deep Blue Sea, really enjoyed that although mostly for Saffron Burrows obv.

On Modine, I thought he was the crappest thing in Stranger Things but I don't think it was much of a role, even though I love that show. He was really good in Short Cuts and Married To The Mob (love that film, see it lads) but that's going back donkey's years.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

You're right, Branquey, forgot about Deep Blue Sea, really enjoyed that although mostly for Saffron Burrows obv.

On Modine, I thought he was the crappest thing in Stranger Things but I don't think it was much of a role, even though I love that show. He was really good in Short Cuts and Married To The Mob (love that film, see it lads) but that's going back donkey's years.

Totally forgot about Short Cuts! I loved that film & used to watch it regularly. 5 star performances all round.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yeah, it's one of Altman's very best. Incredible cast.

I first saw it when I worked at the video shop & was amazed that Lori Singer wasn't huge after it, she was fantastic. Even Andie MacDowell was good.

• Paid Members

I won't hear a bad word against Deep Blue Sea. It's dumb cinema, done right. ( although LL Cool J should have died!) 

as for Modine, he was very punchable in Pacific Heights and essentially made crazy Keaton the hero by default.