DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
On 12/07/2017 at 9:59 AM, johnnyboy said:

I really fancy War PotA but both the cinemas in my town (same chain!) are only showing it in 3d and cheap non-imax 3d gives me a splitting headache.

It's not all cheap 3D or Imax for that matter. I saw HP and the Deathly Hallows 2 at the IMAX bfi and it was terrible! A poor conversation will ruin 3D but that's down to the studio. On the other hand some conversions are better then those shot in 3D (Gravity is a great example).

as to War of the Planet of the Apes (which I saw in 2D) I don't think I will see a better film this year. Absolutely fantastic and the best of the 3. 

• Paid Members

Apes was indeed a brilliant final act. It's packed with nods to other war films and they don't mind doing the same with the old religion. Sometimes that sort of thing can creak a little in some films, but is flowed well with this story.

The addition of the adorable little girl as man's better nature was brilliantly done. The whole part with her saving Caesar and also single-handily ending Stone Cold Larry Flynt was wonderful.

• Paid Members

Did anyone go to Odeon Screen Unseen last night? All the clues made it pretty clear it was going to be American Made, but it turned out to be The Big Sick. Not sure if it was a last minute change or somehow the clues suited both films perfectly (doubtful!).

What did you think of The Big Sick? I've seen lots of five star reviews and people going crazy for it, but I thought it was pretty average. A few people in the cinema found it absolutely hilarious throughout but a lot of the humour passed me by. A good little story but very predictable and a bit too long.

• Paid Members

I watched Dunkirk earlier and I still can't figure out whether I really enjoyed it, or found it a bit average.

On the positive side, it was a proper experience watching it at the IMAX showing. The bullets, the bombs, the planes all thud and screech at such a volume that you get caught up in the terror. Big Hans Zimmer's music actually worked in all the chaos, reminding a lot of Scott Walker's last film effort. There is also little in the way of fat and clunky dialogue, which always sink many a Nolan film, for me. Instead you get the horror of war for however long.

The negative is Nolan spends almost no time on character work (hence little in the way of clunky characters explain another's motives etc), which is why I'm unsure about it, because it's sort of admirable he let the horror of it all do the work. Some characters get a bit of work, but for the most part not a lot.

As a studied experience, with a clear detailed approach, it's something, but unsure about it as a balanced overall film. Although give me this over some random explaining the plot in some clunker.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

What's these "Special Engagements in 70mm and 35mm" showings of Dunkirk? Is it just Nolan trying to work some hipsters into thinking its in some way better than a regular showing?

Most screenings are digital. Watching a movie on film is a different experience. Especially 70mm. Though IMAX is my go to preferred performance. Though my local has a Super Screen. 4K and Dolby Atmos (which is an amazing experience) but yet to try that one out yet. May do to see Dunkirk

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Been researching for Matrix's thread and the first two Transporter films are marvellous. The Stath is ace.

The third one was alright too but I think mostly for the redhead. I mainlined a bunch of Statham films a couple of months back, he's made far more good ones than even I'd realised.

Saw War for the Planet of the Apes on Friday and in a rare case of disagreeing with @Scott Malbranque I thought it was brilliant and the best of the three. The Bad Ape character was crap and an unnecessary comic relief addition to the series (even though I love Steve Zahn) but I loved it.

Talking of films that are better than people give them credit for... I finally got round to watching Terminator: Genisys and really fucking enjoyed it.

I suspect I was the target audience though - all the references and cross-talk with the original films, replaying of scenes, cameos from all the different Terminator types.  Plus obviously I'm a huge Arnie fan and thought he was quite excellent in the Pops role.

The last reel kind of got a bit generic, but overall there were a lot of moments where I was shouting "what's going on" at the screen as the story twisted in an unexpected direction.  Sounds like they're now going to reboot the series AGAIN... at this stage it feels like the Terminator franchise has passed into mythos; the themes it deals with are such an integral part of modern popular culture that it will be repeatedly re-created and re-addressed depending on the mores of the decade.  Although eventually Arnie will be too old to take part, surely.

• Paid Members

I hated it. The whole film was like that bit in Alien vs Predator Requiem, where they shout 'get to the chopper' and you immediately start thinking of a better film. 

No one wants to see a saggy old terminator with dodgy joints ( saying that I'm LOVING old man Arnie in other films) , they want to remember him as the unstoppable killing machine with half a dozen lines of dialogue and the second you start rewriting your own mythos you're going to annoy at least half your target audience. 

Edited by chokeout

Is Maggie worth watching then?

Talking about old action heads, watched Battle of the Damned the other day on TCM. Dolph Lundgren doing very much an updated 'old-haggard-bastard' routine in a Malaysian shot, zero budget film that has giant CGI Baymax's.  It's actually a pretty decent film with zombies, explosions, completely and utterly irrelevant plot twists that low budget films are keen on and was generally a great watch.

Indeed, this sparks a wider discussion, with the dearth, or death, of Video shops, is Syfy and TCM really the best place to watch movies that would have been a rental dream back in the day? I absolutely love zero budget actioners and end of the world movies, but aside from looking out for actors such as Casper Van Dien, is there a more surefire way to track them down?

• Paid Members

I just got done watching Dunkirk. I'm not a Nolan fan at all, but it's great. Easily his best since The Prestige. I would've preferred if it had a linear narrative and didn't flick back and forth so often, but that's a minor criticism overall. 

• Paid Members

I finally saw Dunkirk in Imax and was absolutely cunting steamrollered by it, in the best possible sense. It blew my Baxters up to my earholes at points. What an experience. 

I’m a big Christopher Nolan fan (Interstellar - after about a 7th viewing – is one of the most wonderful movies ever made, in my opinion) and I really, truly don’t get the fact he’s akin to Cena ’06 when it comes to movie aficionados’ opinion of him, as his work – besides the bang generic Insomnia - his movies, his presentation of the story, have always moved me in some way, shape or form.

There was a very, very elderly gentleman with his family in the row in front of us, and he was bawling his lamps out at the end. My missus reckoned he must have had something to do with it, or knew somebody who did, as even though it was obviously quite traumatic for him, it was very humbling to see to be honest and made what I’d just seen that much more special.

Or else he could have just been an emotional chap like me, who also got upset at the end of Terminator 2, Titanic, Armageddon and Marley & Me.

• Paid Members

I really didn't like war for the planet of the apes, I watched "Dawn" (which I'd never seen) in preparation and really enjoyed that but found War to be no fun at all, just a completely joyless experience on every level. 

I'd take Kong Skull island over it for the monkey film of the summer any day.

• Paid Members

47 Metres Down is the kind of film that if someone says they like it then I just assume they're a complete twat because it's so fucking terrible that I can't see how anyone who's alright could possibly derive any joy from it.

I dumped going to see Dunkirk for this. And I don't like Chris Nolan at all.