DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

Took my sister to Beauty & The Beast tonight (the first film she ever saw at the cinema!) Two hours of purest Disney magic. I forgot the outside world and its troubles while I was watching it. It can't hold a candelabra to the animated version but it's as good as a live action version could be. Those songs will be running around my head for the next couple of days at least.

However,

I wanted an even bigger library (with thousands of books! Millions of books!) I'm sad I didn't get to hear Ian McKellen say "if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it". But that's about it for nitpicks!

Hell or High Water. I loved this. The best possible compliment I can pay Chris Pine is that he does a pretty great job of preventing Ben Foster stealing all the scenes. I did feel like I was watching Justified at times but a really well written episode where Raylan and Boyd had to team up to rob banks. Bridges was ace too.

• Paid Members

Also City of the Living Dead also looks pretty rough with baked in scanner noise. (Not a fan of the movie either myself)

Reported.

Pieces is great.

To be fair its defo the worst of the 3. The Beyond and House by the Cemetery are ace though.

I enjoyed Pieces a lot. Very silly slasher that apes giallos. If you thought the female victims in friday the 13th movies were underdeveloped this one's not for you. Cracking cameo from a infamous Bruce Lee impersonator too. Arrow's blu is top notch as usual.

• Paid Members

Anybody wanna' take a stab at recommending any of those Arrow Video or 88 Films releases? They're churning them out like nobodies business but it's hard to know which are worth a go

In the Arrow Video section, go for all of those weird Walerian Borowczyk films like "The Beast", "Immortal Tales", Most of his other stuff is on other labels, but freely available on Amazon. After all of that weirdness, hook yourself up with "Emmanuelle 5" (the softcore version. Borowczyk hated the hardcore version and so do I) on KODI or something and laugh your arse off. End it off sadly with his last film from around 1987 "Love Bites", which is horrible. Really vulgar too. You could have a drinking game every time the main character says he has a "Big Cock".

One of the 88 Films releases has a nice extra about the history of Cannibalism in Italian films. Feature length documentary. Might have been "Emmanuelle & The Last Cannibals". Goes through every one of them until the "Green Inferno" (1988 Version).

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

One of the 88 Films releases has a nice extra about the history of Cannibalism in Italian films. Feature length documentary. Might have been "Emmanuelle & The Last Cannibals". Goes through every one of them until the "Green Inferno" (1988 Version).

That's a great doc if memory serves. It's called Eaten Alive and is an extra on Zombie Holocaust. Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Have never been able to get into Lucio Fulci at all. I thought The Beyond was pretty typical of Italian horror at its worst - mostly tedious and overacted nonsense punctuated by some really stupidly drawn out gore scenes and a completely incoherent plot.

Otherwise it was great!!

I ended up watching the Power Ranger film last night. It starts off alright, but it's another case of a film being 2 hours long and ends up being boring. If you've ever see an episode of the show then you know how it's going to finish. So instead of a dull 20 minute middle section a 3 minutes long montage could have done the same thing. The film ends up being 90 minutes of setup to final big 20 minutes action sequence.

• Paid Members

I just got one of those Odeon limitless cards, I always felt like I didn't catch enough new films so now I'm seeing everything I'm at all interested in, it's fun.

I enjoyed Life, most of its budget probably went on ryan reynolds and jake gylenhaal because it was on a really small scale, it was cool though, 80s sci fi/thriller films are some of my favourites and this had a good claustrophobic tension to it as thrillers set in spaceships should do. As Dev said it's not exactly mind blowingly original but it's fun nonetheless and I liked the final act a lot.

• Paid Members

I ended up watching the Power Ranger film last night. It starts off alright, but it's another case of a film being 2 hours long and ends up being boring. If you've ever see an episode of the show then you know how it's going to finish. So instead of a dull 20 minute middle section a 3 minutes long montage could have done the same thing. The film ends up being 90 minutes of setup to final big 20 minutes action sequence.

Did you watch Power Rangers or The Lone Ranger because it sounds exactly the same

I just got one of those Odeon limitless cards, I always felt like I didn't catch enough new films so now I'm seeing everything I'm at all interested in, it's fun.

I enjoyed Life, most of its budget probably went on ryan reynolds and jake gylenhaal because it was on a really small scale, it was cool though, 80s sci fi/thriller films are some of my favourites and this had a good claustrophobic tension to it as thrillers set in spaceships should do. As Dev said it's not exactly mind blowingly original but it's fun nonetheless and I liked the final act a lot.

Did you not see that ending coming from an an absolute mile away though?

after they said "we can't let Calvin reach Earth" for the second time, even my misses said "it's going to get to Earth then", and then they said it about another 15 times just to re-enforce it

If you've got a spare couple of hours to kill then it's fine, there's far worse stuff you could watch, but if you've ever seen Alien than you've practically seen Life already.

Ryan Reynolds was meant to have the lead role that Gylennhaal had, but was filming something else at the same time so slipped into a supporting role instead.

It also lost points for playing Spirit In The Sky over the credits, fucking hate that song with a passion.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

I really didn't enjoy Life at all, and I absolutely love the sci-fi horror genre on the whole.

I'd seen pretty much everything that happened in the film before - and on a better scale - and it felt as though the actors were just fulfilling some studio contractual obligation.