DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

My wife and I got around to watching Moonlight at the cinema last night.

Whilst I thought it was very good, beautifully shot with great performances, I found that the subject matter along with its setting was more important and better in a way than the actual film.

What bizarrely stood out to me was Mahershala Ali's performance. Going into it I obviously knew he won best supporting actor yet he's only in it for 30 minutes and nothing what I saw really stood out as Oscar worthy. Don't get me wrong he was very good, but I didn't find much about the role requiring him to stretch his acting chops.

Edited by lambyUK

I thought he was great. Played it very understated, and the bit at the dinner table when Little comes over is heartbreaking.

Length in films doesn't matter, Judi Dench was only in Elizabeth for what, 9 minutes in total, and still walked away with the Oscar.

• Paid Members

It wasn't the length that was the issue for me, just more so the fact he won an Oscar for it.

As mentioned he was very good, but his performance didn't scream Oscar for me.

That said, I've seen him an awful lot in House of Cards and Luke Cage and he's brilliant in both and maybe I just had my expectations too high.

Edited by lambyUK

Get Out is amazing, I can't say enough good stuff about it, it's suspenseful, hilarious, really clever and note perfect for what it's trying to achieve. Don't want to say too much and spoil it because I didn't know much going in, but it's really good.

This. Went to see it this morning and it's probably my film of the year so far. Regarding the ending...

Apparently in the original script Chris was arrested at the end for killing the white family, it was changed to give it the happy ending because Jordan Peele thought it needed it with everything going on with black/police relations at the moment. I genuinely expected that was what was gonna happen when the car showed up at the end, I was happy to see it go the other way though.

• Paid Members

Get Out is amazing, I can't say enough good stuff about it, it's suspenseful, hilarious, really clever and note perfect for what it's trying to achieve. Don't want to say too much and spoil it because I didn't know much going in, but it's really good.

This. Went to see it this morning and it's probably my film of the year so far. Regarding the ending...

Apparently in the original script Chris was arrested at the end for killing the white family, it was changed to give it the happy ending because Jordan Peele thought it needed it with everything going on with black/police relations at the moment. I genuinely expected that was what was gonna happen when the car showed up at the end, I was happy to see it go the other way though.

He really made the right decision there, the ending was great, the movie had the perfect amount of social commentary already, that ending would've been a real downer.

Watched Beauty and The Beast (kids were with us so couldn't see Get Out).

The original is one of the few princess films I like. I think this version is far superior and came away genuinely loving it

We saw it the other night too. I enjoyed it for the most part, even if Luke Evans did keep his streak of "being the shitest thing about the film he's in" intact and Mrs Potts winking & blowing a kiss was a bit weird

• Paid Members

With reference to Beauty and the Beast: Josh Gad now owns two Disney franchises.

Using the same voice in both.

It was the first film I've thought Luke Evans wasn't shit in (I'm looking at you Fast and Furious 6). I thought his Gaston was very good. It's box office has taken a hit due to the "Gay" bit which really is blink and you'll miss it, but bible bashing America has thrown a right hissy.

It's still going to open to around $160 Million but it won't topple Batman/Superman's opening last March

• Paid Members

Luke Evans is shit but he was a good vilain in F&F 6. He was awful in The Girl On The Train, but completely miscast.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

The 'gay' bit in Beauty & The Beast was a split second thing in itself, but LeFou's gay qualities were far from subtle, he may aswell have had 'I'm Coming Out' playing whenever he was onscreen

Johnny, your right that there is no reason for it to exist, but unfortunately this seems to be what Disney are going for now, live action remake sidewall loved classics and playing off the nostalgia of it all. We've already had Alice In Wonderland, Maleficant was a sort of remake of Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, The Jungle Book (which I think is the best one so far) and Beauty & The Beast, and in the works there are live action remakes of Lion King (announced) Mulan (2018) Little Mermaid (announced), Snow White & The Seven Dwarfes (announced), Cruella DeVil (announced), Aladdin (originally announced as a prequel but change to a remake, Guy Ritche set to direct), Peter Pan (announced) and Dumbo (with Tim Burton directing)

And that's before you factor in any Pixar movies and whenever Frozen 2 comes out