DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Any Daniel Craig films people wish to recommend for me? I watched Layer Cake at the weekend , and find him a very watchable performer. 

I'm probably the only one that liked it it, but I thought "Enduring Love" was quite good with Rhys Ifans. It's like a camp "Fatal Attraction". It's also like the Goldust vs Razor Ramon angle if you want to take it the grappling way.

• Paid Members

So with a rare free night and the worlds cinematic output available at the tip of my fingers, last night, I decided to give the Kickboxer remake a bash.

Bloody awful ennit?  I mean don't get me wrong, I didn't have high hopes going in, and if they hadn't cast Van Damme in the Xian role, I'd not have given it a second glance, but crikey...

It reminded me of the mid 90's when I'd hit up Blockbuster or Choices on a nightly basis and rent out whatever straight to video Oliver Grunier, Jeff Speakman, Lorenzo Lamas, Jalal Mehri (I could go on) shite was cluttering up the bottom shelves. 

Sure, the production levels were higher, and it looked pretty, but this was as wooden as it gets - remember a few years ago, there was showing up looking thoroughly un-intimidating despite their legit credentials and whilst the former are kept to generic dialogue free tough guy roles, Georges stumbles through his lines from the opening "I can't let you in eef you 'aff no skeels" which I confess, got a legit LOL out of me for its hammy delivery, showing no acting chops whatsoever.

I've no problem with plot development or tweaks in these sort of remakes, but what they went with, with the whole, police corruption, shady promoter thing added nothing other than to remind me how lovely Gina Carano scrubs up. 

Perhaps the biggest disappointment of all was Big Dave as Tong Po.  I gather he's gone on to sterling turns in Guardians, and as a Bond villain, but he shows very little here.  It's not enough to be a fucking massive physical presence.  Look at the original Tong Po, he's a streak of piss to be frank, but he looks genuinely disturbing, and behaves more so.  At no point does Tong Po come off as remotely menacing, instead, mostly standing there with a blank expression, whispering into someone's ear who then carries the talky stuff. 

Alain Moussi as Kurt Sloane is about as generic as it gets although if his haircut was a tribute to the 90's then it did an excellent job.  The directors made the mistake of confusing 'this guy can do some cool kicks' with 'actual fight choregraphy' and in terms of personality, utterly ordinary is as generous as I could be.  That said, in fairness to him, that's probably because he shares so much screen time with Van Damme, (finally, a positive) who frankly pisses charisma after all these years.  I mean honestly, Van Damme was rarely/barely an A Lister, but his turn in this is like someone cast Al Pacino in Police Academy or something, he's light years ahead of anyone else and looks to be having the time of his life - seems to have lats on par with Bruce Lee these days too, I haven't see much of his recent straight to DVD fare, but there's no mistaking he got himself in amazing shape for this.

In summary, I'm just not sure they knew what they were going for.  It lacks the darkness of the original, the warmth and humour, although it tries, the soundtrack, although i'll let that one slide.  I had a flicker of hope this'd be alright, but it's a bloated mess and a bit of a let down.  Was it appalling and offensive? Absolutely not, but for the reboot of a great little franchise, it missed more than it hit.

There's a tidy little montage somewhere in the middle which got my hopes up that things were going to pick up a gear.  They never did.  Apart from that and Jean Claude, highlights were limited to GSP's "I am not impressed with your performance" line, and Michel Qissi's "Don't you remember me?" line to JC during the prison escape, although he's utterly unrecognisable these days, looks a lot like Alex Shane actually, so how many people pick that up I don't know.

• Paid Members

Jesus.  Make that two by the look of it, there's a third in pre-production.

Hafthor Bjornssonn is playing the villain in the next one by the looks of things.

I mean part of me thinks, lovely stuff.  I love these sort of franchises that end up 9 films deep and completely unrelated by the 5th movie, but I wont be going out of my way to keep up with this incarnation of the Sloans, not unless they bring back Sacha Mitchell.

I watch a lot of films, I'm into movie trivia and stuff, and my favourite period is 1980's. Comedies and action films - I love the classics from the 80's.

So the lads at work could not believe I had never seen 'Top Gun'.

I'm not anti-Tom Cruise or anything, so there is no definitive reason I haven't seen what is considered by most people my age to be a classic. I just never did.

This weekend I finally did watch it.

I didn't love it, but I didn't think it was bad either. It was a decent film. I did think though that there was way more sexual chemistry between Cruise & Kilmer than Cruise & McGillis.

Why were the pilots so sweaty all the time? Even in pre-flight meetings where they are wearing the same uniform as the bosses, pilots sweating profusely and bosses not so.

Well I can tick that off my list now anyway.

Other 80's classics I have never seen include Aliens, The Running Man, & Big Trouble In Little China.

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

Running Man is a great laugh, but, aye, sort your life out mate and watch Aliens. The H is wrong with you?

Typing of Arnie, I watched Red Heat for the first time in years, last night. I forgot how much the big lug struggled with that 80s Soviet accent; it's adorable. Also, they don't half ride that Gumby reference until the wheels come off, eh?

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Edit: replied to a comment from a month ago like an idiot.

Had the other half watching Predator at the weekend and was saying all the lines as they happened. She enjoyed it thankfully.

Edited by FelatioLips

How can someone open with saying they love 80's action films then close with saying they haven't seen Aliens, Running Man and Big Trouble in Little Chinatown?

It's like saying you love sex then going on to say you might try it with someone else. Exactly like that!