DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

That acting/dubbing video has made my day...wonderful!

Are these the Ninja movies that were just low budget dramas that had random Ninja scenes inserted or were they actually made as Ninja films???

ReyPiste nails it here

most of which were 2 films stitched together to make one convoluted mess of a film. Mostly starring a drunk Richard Harrison who shot stuff for a few days and ended up in a dozen different films.

Basically footage bought on the cheap from unreleased or incomplete movies, with additional NINJA and plot scenes filmed with western actors, then the whole thing re-dubbed to try and make a coherent plot.

The latter is never achieved

The stuff about Harrison is ace.  Filmed a handful of scenes for one film, then ended up in dozens of the fuckers. 

No NINJA's have any second name, and all have wonderful first names like 'Brian' or 'Tony' or 'Derek'.

Going to have to try and delve into them...

I love hilariously crap films, but have always concentrated on horror movies, but it looks like Ninja films may be just as good! 

Watched The Founder last night. Thought the beginning was great, really raised a smile watching how the first McDonalds was planned and started out and how the old footage and pictures were interspersed. It drags in the middle and I considered packing it in at the hour mark but it regained my interest towards the end as it gets more and more apparent what's about to go down. Michael Keaton is great in it. 

He plays the bastard so well. I've spoiler tagged because not knowing too much about the history of McDonalds both me and the wife were convinced the McDonald brothers were going to shaft him because of the initial franchising contract and were almost cheering for him to do well after his initial struggles and were surprised as he slowly but surely turns in to McBastard. He pulls the heel turn beautifully to the point where the Mrs said out loud "I don't know if I want to eat at a McDonalds ever again now" in a #CancelWWENetwork sort of way. Keaton is a proper cunt though and is really hateable as he finally stitches the brothers up.

• Paid Members

Godfrey Ho's chop 'n' change method of film making is brilliantly efficient. Even when he made "proper" movies like the Lethal Panther films, he'd have two completely separate narratives running through it so he'd only have pay for the star to do two days shooting and appear in the film for about 12 minutes.

It's great that the two stories are separate, because he can dump one and reshoot another half-film to slot into it if it turns out to be trash.

• Paid Members

"Ivan the Red" turns up in a few Godfrey Ho films, so you know you've got a bad Commie there.

ADDED: I think it was Grant Temple or Semple that was in his films is now a school teacher here. He was on the Internet moaning after the kids he taught found out.

ADDED AGAIN: "Labortory of the Devil" is by Godfrey Ho and is on that channel and is really fucked up. It's basically "Men Behind the Sun 2". Look into it. Not Kung Fu at all, but it's on that channel and done by Ho. Some really nasty stuff in it. Not all jokey-wokey there.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Any concerns that John Wick 2 doesn't live up to the original can be put to bed. It's not only the best pure action film since Hard Boiled but it's also absolutely beautiful and shows how to do an open ending for a sequel without being cynical about it. Excellent film.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Any concerns that John Wick 2 doesn't live up to the original can be put to bed. It's not only the best pure action film since Hard Boiled but it's also absolutely beautiful and shows how to do an open ending for a sequel without being cynical about it. Excellent film.

Is it by putting a sign at the end saying 'The End', and then it lingers a couple seconds and a question mark appears? It is, isn't it...

• Paid Members

I am about to watch cult classic House Party for the first time in about 15 years. I'm excited. I hope it stays the test of time

I still love the first 2 House Party films!

Round my neck of the woods, House Party was like our generation's American Pie. A film that we had all seen but deren't let our parents know whe had, as we were certain they wouldn't agree with it...

I am about to watch cult classic House Party for the first time in about 15 years. I'm excited. I hope it stays the test of time

I still love the first 2 House Party films!

Round my neck of the woods, House Party was like our generation's American Pie. A film that we had all seen but deren't let our parents know whe had, as we were certain they wouldn't agree with it...

Absolutely. As a massive hip hop fan, the genre is actually quite well represented from that time (Juice, Boyz N The Hood, Do The Right Thing, Menace II Society) but this was a funny film, and that's what was lacking. The second ones getting watched tonight, and having never seen the third I might just watch that too...

"I smell...I smell...I smell PUSSY!"

• Paid Members

I couldn't personally get into the third one(Kid not having the big hair anymore didn't seem right either).

The first two though were jam packed with little quotes that the mates and I would reel off to each other...

"...we're gonna kick your fucking aaaaaasssssss....."

And I'll never forgot the lasses who knocked around with us trying to copy the bg dance off routine from the first film and looking like they were having fits instead!

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members

We went to see Lego Batman again today and it's even better the second time round. Some good piss-taking of its stupid live action counterparts which I heartily welcome too.