DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Paul Newman makes everything watchable, he just oozed star quality. Slap shot is always worth a watch, and then a re-watch. Somebody up there likes me is good for very early Newman and (as D-Mal mentioned) Nobody's Fool, which seems to be largely forgotten about.

And the stories of one-upmanship between Newman and McQueen make Towering Inferno all the more enjoyable, the poster being a great example.

the-towering-inferno-movie-poster.jpg

Arguments over top billing so Newman gives it to McQueen but insists that his name and photo are ever so slightly higher than his.

Edited by chokeout

Hollywood Beyond didn't do the theme to The Colo(u)r of Money. Although you'd love the soundtrack, bAz. Clapton had the main single from it "Its in the way that you use it". Robert Palmer, Mark Knobflopper and Warren Zevon are all on there and Robbie Robertson doing the theme.

• Paid Members

On a different note, just found an awesome YouTube channel that I would recommend to anyone who's a fan of Hong Kong action films. Loads of stuff on here, some real obscurities as well, and as far as I can tell they are all subtitled:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/wutangcollection/videos

• Paid Members

On a different note, just found an awesome YouTube channel that I would recommend to anyone who's a fan of Hong Kong action films. Loads of stuff on here, some real obscurities as well, and as far as I can tell they are all subtitled:-

*BUMS HARD*  That looks smashing!  Thanks chief.

Just got back from watching Hacksaw Ridge, the WW2 film directed by Mel Gibson. It was a good film and Andrew Garfield was very good in the lead role. It is very much an oscar bait film lots of wide sweeping shots and slow motion during the action sequences. It was enjoyable enough, but will end up being forgotten in a few years.

Saw Moonlight at the end of last week. All three actors that played the lead character at the different stages of his life were very good, and it was well acted throughout by pretty much everyone involved. And whilst I did enjoy, I wouldn't say that the "masterpiece of modern cinema" buzz that's it's been getting was justified. Don't get me wrong, it's a very good film and I'd recommend it, but a couple of years down the line I would imagine it will be forgotten about by anyone who doesn't but it on DVD

• Paid Members

*BUMS HARD* That looks smashing! Thanks chief.

If Security Unlimited is on there, you're in for the bumming of your life.

Looking through the list of films, theres all sorts of stuff from the 70s through to the mid 90s. It looks like there's a few of the terrible ninja films from Godfrey Ho, most of which were 2 films stitched together to make one convoluted mess of a film. Mostly starring a drunk Richard Harrison who shot stuff for a few days and ended up in a dozen different films.

• Paid Members

Paul Newman makes everything watchable

Sadly, when I think about Paul Newman now I think about that odd looking eyebrowed woman wanking over him in "Emmanuelle". Newman told the director later on he loved the scene too.

and "Paul Newman will break me legs!!"

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Aye, that has some crackers on there. Look for the Godfrey Ho directed ones. Hilarious stuff. I'm sure the "Power of Ninjitsu" is on there somewhere. Watch that one.

ADDED: Channel has it. Love the intro for it.

Here's the full film..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxhQqpakY1k

ADDED: If you're looking for the theme on the intro there, it's the extended version of A-Ha "The Sun Always Shines on TV".

I'd love to ask Godfrey Ho, apart from Richard Harrison, are all the foreign to Asia actors all people he met just walking down the street. One from one of his films is a school-teacher somewhere in England now. Nobody from this film.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I'm equally fascinated by the whole Godfrey Ho ninja movie thing.  Even at the height of my martial arts movie fandom I always avoided 'Ninja' movies like the plague as they generally screamed low budget shite, but then a few years ago, channel surfing, my brother and I stumbled across Ninja Champion on one of the obscure movie channels and I was hooked.

We'd been watching for about half an hour when we both turned and looked to each other and pretty much said in unison "What the fuck is actually happening?"  If it wasn't for the killer dialogue such as "I'd like to thank you for killing those two bastards.  My name is Larry" I'm not sure I'd have lasted the pace.  They really do have to be seen to be believed. 

My favourite this is how every one seems to start with a police briefing where polaroids of the suspects (i.e. stills from the original footage) are passed around whilst the characters and plot is spelled out and since Baz has saved me the job of highlighting some of the wonderful intro music, allow me to treat you to this beauty... 

The start of a movie about corrupt ninjas using a secret society to launder money.  Or the opening titles to a 1980's Saturday afternoon quiz show, you decide?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEjkxbjxV2Y

Strongly recommend the following two videos for anyone wanting to know what all the fuss is about, although be warned, much like Godfrey Ho movies themselves, the second contains some unexpected and entirely unnecessary sauce.

Every Godfrey Ho Ninja Movie in 5 Minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3brV42_SFg

Top 10 Godfrey Ho Worst Acting/Dialogue/Dubbing Moments

Enjoy, and your welcome.

Edited by John Matrix

• Paid Members

That acting/dubbing video has made my day...wonderful!

Are these the Ninja movies that were just low budget dramas that had random Ninja scenes inserted or were they actually made as Ninja films???

• Paid Members

That acting/dubbing video has made my day...wonderful!

Are these the Ninja movies that were just low budget dramas that had random Ninja scenes inserted or were they actually made as Ninja films???

ReyPiste nails it here

most of which were 2 films stitched together to make one convoluted mess of a film. Mostly starring a drunk Richard Harrison who shot stuff for a few days and ended up in a dozen different films.

Basically footage bought on the cheap from unreleased or incomplete movies, with additional NINJA and plot scenes filmed with western actors, then the whole thing re-dubbed to try and make a coherent plot.

The latter is never achieved

The stuff about Harrison is ace.  Filmed a handful of scenes for one film, then ended up in dozens of the fuckers. 

No NINJA's have any second name, and all have wonderful first names like 'Brian' or 'Tony' or 'Derek'.