DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

It was where I started to have my doubts about David Fincher as a director. Because the original wasn't great at all but he took all the flaws from it, made them worse, and added a few of his own. A truly awful effort.

• Paid Members

I love Fincher, but he suffers from the same problem as Tarantino. The studios just let them deliver whatever they want so you end up with a film that could easily have 20-30 minutes chopped out of it and not suffer (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Hateful 8, Benjamin Button). No film needs to be just short of 3 hours

• Paid Members

Randomly after a few years of no mention of it, the director of Don't Breathe was attached to direct the sequel at the end of last year. No idea if it'll happen, or if the cast will be back.

• Paid Members

It was a decent sized hit, not as much as I think they were expecting, but enough to make it odd that they didn't look to see out the other two films more or less immediately.

Randomly after a few years of no mention of it, the director of Don't Breathe was attached to direct the sequel at the end of last year. No idea if it'll happen, or if the cast will be back.

I read that they were looking at doing "The Girl in the Spider's Web", which is the 4th book in the series. Missing the 2nd and 3rd books out would be a little strange though.

• Paid Members

Branquey, I just saw you online and wanted to let you know that I watched Investigation Of A Citizen Above Suspicion yesterday and yes, blimey Charlie, what an absolutely amazing film that is. Can't say I've ever seen a crime film quite like it and I love 1970s crime films especially. I just never knew which way it was going and Gian Maria Volonte's Mussolini impression is about as good as such a thing could ever be.

Also, I've had the music stuck in my head ever since, and that's fine with me.

• Paid Members

I'm delighted...absolutely made up you've both watched and enjoyed it, D-Mal.

It's wonderful, isn't it? Genuinely, one of the greatest and remarkable crime films ever made and I've said that since I was a kid.

Being a huge Mike Patton fan, my brain couldn't handle when Fantomas released the Directors Cut album and their interpretation of the theme was on it. It's another moment in my life when I thought my life just might be akin to The Truman Show.

• Paid Members

That's absolutely brilliant! Love the fact that it retains the sound effect of the murder as well. It absolutely captures the soul of the music.

Have you seen anything else by Elio Petri? Naturally I'm really interested in investigating anything else by him. I've had The 10th Victim on my watchlist for as long as I'd had this on there but I don't really know much about any of his other films.

The thing is that 1970s crime movies are my favourite thing in cinema so this was always likely to be right in my ballpark but it was actually so little like all the ones I'm used to enjoying and liking, or indeed like the few giallos and poliziotteschi I've seen. But obviously only in really good ways.

• Paid Members

The 10th Victim is really good. The likes of The Running Man, Battle Royale etc owes a fair bit to this flick if I was to put it in a box but it's not unlike a Russ Meyers flick either. It's camp, violent, bizarre and a lot of fun, but kind of falls up it's own arsehole by the end.

I've also seen Todo Modo and Property is No Longer a Theft.

The latter is quite funny and kind of plays like the Coens crossed with a Mel Brooks flick. Really enjoyed that one, but I thought Todo Modo was poor (although the score was great). I might watch it again, and give it another chance though.

But you've put 'Investigation' right to the fore of my watch list, so I think when they're all gone to the pit tonight, that's going on.

• Paid Members

I think I'll definitely give The 10th Victim a spin soon then, and Property Is No Longer A Theft. Cheers, Branquey!

On a different note, I just watched A Separation and shit, I didn't know films were allowed to be that good. What a film.

• Paid Members

I've watched four films by Farhadi now and they've all been great. About Elly is almost as good but The Past and Fireworks Wednesday are superb as well. Can't wait to see The Salesman.