The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Awards Moderator

I had that show on VHS, it was sold in WH Smith alongside 2000 ECW PPVs in the bargain bin. I remember Mankind and I remember Bret vs. Terry, which was definitely the best match on there. It had Shane Douglas vs. Tommy Dreamer as well, which I mainly remember being long.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I had that show on VHS, it was sold in WH Smith alongside 2000 ECW PPVs in the bargain bin. I remember Mankind and I remember Bret vs. Terry, which was definitely the best match on there. It had Shane Douglas vs. Tommy Dreamer as well, which I mainly remember being long.

It was released over here by Delta as part of thier ECW deal & IIRC Haymen / ECW were essentially the promoters even though they didn't use the branding on the show.

That is another reason Hart and Foley got the ok for the show given the talent share and co promotion going on in 97 & 98 I assume, especially given this was about 1 month after summerslam 97 so Bret is champ and has the rising tensions with Vince over his contract and direction before Vince tells him he's going to knowingly breach his deal not too far down the road.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Wrasslin said:

Always been curious as to how Bret was allowed to do this match? Anyone know how it came about?

As already mentioned, back then it wasn't unknown for the WWF to ask they contracted individuals to work random shots for other indie promotions. A good number went to work for Lawler in Memphis from what I can remember, and Bret and The Bulldog went and did numerous shots for Stu's Stampede as well(didn't some go to help out Cornette at Smokey Mountain too?). From the sound of it, Vince would let them do it if the WWF would gain from it(Lawler was letting them send talent to get experience and also scouting talent for them, and the Stampede shots was to help build heat for when the WWF ventured into the area, boosting house show attendances). 

• Paid Members

Vince used Memphis, USWA and SMW as a feeder system, they would have a "working agreement" that allowed them get the odd big name to pop the gate and in return WWF had somewhere to hone talent, poach talent or punish talent as they needed.

For a fair time Lawler was face on Memphis TV and heel in WWF TV I believe, with the odd snippet of WWF footage re-edited to make him the face when he was allowed to use it.

As part of the SMW deal they got taker for a couple of shows I believe, working with a young Kane as Unabomb, and his chum Prime Time Lee and in return WWF got to use the Bodies and could pick up talent they could trust in with a bit more ease when they needed it, like Lee or Candido.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Anyone used to buy these? Proper blast from the past this.

EiroQ24XYA4PE41?format=png

I used to buy these by the bucketload. It got to the point that Jenny, who owned the local shop, used to give me a massive box of them as a birthday gift one year. I think I gobbled the lot and threw up after...

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Anyone used to buy these? Proper blast from the past this.

EiroQ24XYA4PE41?format=png

When we were little my dad would save the packets from them and fill them with plaster of Paris and stick them to the garden walls for us to paint. The end of my garden looked like the poster for Rumble '92*

*if the rumble also contained characters from Dungeons and Dragons, Thundercats and He-man as the shop also sold them in jelly form.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:49 PM, Cod Eye said:

As already mentioned, back then it wasn't unknown for the WWF to ask they contracted individuals to work random shots for other indie promotions. A good number went to work for Lawler in Memphis from what I can remember, and Bret and The Bulldog went and did numerous shots for Stu's Stampede as well(didn't some go to help out Cornette at Smokey Mountain too?). From the sound of it, Vince would let them do it if the WWF would gain from it(Lawler was letting them send talent to get experience and also scouting talent for them, and the Stampede shots was to help build heat for when the WWF ventured into the area, boosting house show attendances). 

I remember reading Taker went to Japan against Hakushi IIRC