NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

Thought the tag title match was superb. Best match of the night by a long shot and had me jumping in my seat whilst watching in work.

Couldn't get into the main event once Nakamura stopped selling the knees. It just annoyed me far too much and I was pleased and shocked when Joe won.

Wish some elements of the crowd would just fuck off though. Fight Forever during Roode and Dillinger. Jesus.

• Paid Members

Indeed. The only thing I thought wasn't up to much was what they did with Nakamura's entrance. Not sure what they were going for. Part orgy, part Glee, part nobody has a fucking clue how to play violin. Baffling really.

Anyway, it's a minor gripe because everything else was good to great. The stand out match was the 2 out of 3 tag match. The Arrival should really be on Smackdown or something, they've done a great job adding some colour to their act in recent months and it showed with that excellent tag match.

As others have already mentioned, Bobby Roode is incredible to watch. The entrance was perfect and his match did the job. Again, should probably be getting lost in the shuffle on the main roster.

The finish of the main event was simple but, bloody hell, was it absolutely spot on. The reaction to it is an example of the sort of captivating star Nakamura is; people were genuinely stunned by a loss in a title match. Given the story they're telling and the way it all ended, it was brilliantly done.

I know it's developmental and what not, but AOP sell far too much for their gimmick. It's a bit of a disconnect with what they're trying to sell us.

These NXT shows are now the highlights of these big weekends.

• Paid Members

Johnny Gargano is such an amazing babyface, everything about his act gets me super invested, the whole match built to a fantastic, emotional victory...and then it was jarring as fuck when the fans started chanting, "You Deserve It!"

I hate that chant so much.

Another stellar show. Not a bad match on the card.

I had no idea Tye had prior in WWECW. Did they mention that at all on TV? That really added a dimension to the match and maybe signalled a callup. I'm dreading that though. I have zero faith that the main writers know how to handle anyone without overkill. If he goes up, they'll be trusting his NXT fans to follow him to get him over. Shame, because the guy has had a fantastic run, one of the guys who properly epitomises what developmental is all about. Same old same old for Nature Bob - amazing, amazing, shit finisher.

AoP were shoo-ins but I was surprised at the post-match. I know it's Dusty so there's a ton of respect but it would've been nice to see them heel it up even in victory, even if it was just an Ellering promo. Match finish was limp because Graves miscalled the intro of the chain and you couldn't see what happened when it got used. Miller can still fuck off.

Contrary to the earlier poster, Gargano may be the greatest baby face on the roster and Ciampa is excellent as his hardened 'big brother', all set off by yet another brilliant prematch vid. No point going on about the Revival any more. They're just the complete package. Leather bombers FTW.

Asuka vs Mickie was a good exhibition match. With noone else in NXT really ready to step up, it's this kind of thing they need to do with Asuka to keep her involved. If it had been Trish, the crowd would've been hotter but the finish would've been even more obvious.

Another solid main from Nak and Joe but their matches can't meet the build. Problem is, Joe is so convincing and terrifying as the cerebral wrecking ball heel that Nakamura's bendy offence doesn't cut it. Despite that, they still had me guessing til the end, with great callbacks to their previous matches and angles.

Had to avoid spoilers all day, stayed off all social media going to work, over my lunch and coming home from work, but it was totally worth it. The tag match was the match of the night by a country mile, DIY are one of my fave teams at present so was made up with the outcome. Mickie James looked incredible and was a worthy challenger to Asuka but the result was predictable. Bobby Roooooooo just has IT, great entrance and decent match with Tye. The Joe/Nakamura series looks far from done, better match than Brooklyn and very surprised to see Joe become 2x champ. The Dusty final was the only real weak match for me, TM61 haven't clicked with me yet and AOP still look a touch on the green side, can see them being the first challengers to DIY in San Antonio unless they do DIY/Revival part 3

• Paid Members

A really suprising finish to the main event I thought. Better than their previous match.

I didn't watch Asuka v Mickie so I can't say anything about it.

The tag title match was fantastic, another belter from these four. I didn't expect the Revival to lose here either as I was thinking there would be a post match turn from Ciampa, but I guess they need a new tag title program, and DIY and The Authors of Pain it is.

I hated the other tag match on this show. Those pair that were against the big lads did not impress me at all. I only watch the take over shows and I seen nothing in these two. Although the dive off the big structure was cool. The right team won, but fuck me these fellas need to copy the Road Warriors a bit more and not let themselves be thrown around at ease by fellas half their size.

I thought the opener was decent but no more than that. Roode is fantastic and looks like such a star. But i'm not a fan of Dillinger and can't for the life of me buy him as a face so that probably hurt the match for me.

Overall a really decent show, with one great match, one pretty good one and the rest of it did it's part.