NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

The Takeovers are always 'must see' for me far more than any PPVs. I always know they'll deliver. This one might not look as spectacular on paper but it's quite the transitional time for NXT and they dont have many huge feuds at the moment. I'm okay with that though and it'll be another great show.

I think it's a shame the Aries-Itami match fell to bits, that would've helped this card nicely. I'm still looking forward to it though, and think we could maybe be in for some shocks. As long as TM61 don't beat Authors of Pain. Sneaky feeling Roode & Dillinger steal the show.

• Paid Members

Ellering was instrumental in the AoP's quarters & semis wins, one through distraction & one through grabbing a leg, IIRC.

It's also a nod to Ellering being under the same stip in the recently discovered Last Battle of Atlanta.

I've not been adamantly watching nxt as of late but can someone explain to me the reasoning for Ellering being in the shark cage? As far as I am aware he has never physically interfered in a match has he? Watch justifies the gimmick?

I mainly have it down to a nostalgia thing. It's a throw back to a simpler time and fun little bit of nonsense which hopefully won't distract from the match much at all.

"Member managers in cages? Oh I member"

Edited by UK Kat Von D

Well, that was a fantastic show, surprise surprise.

Roode and Dillinger was a great opener. Loved the video for this match and they've done an excellent job in babyfacing the perfect ten gimmick. Glorious entrance from Roode. They had good chemistry with each other and Tye was able to shine with a couple of nearfalls while Roode was of course great in the dick role.

AOP v TM61 was decent, nothing special and the right team won of course. The gimmick was a bit odd and the eerie music as Ellering entered the cage came off a bit comical to me. wasn't expecting too much but it was good fun though Nick Miller was tossing these guys about too easily off the hot tag. Thorne's big dive off the structure was great and unexpected. Dunno what was up with the chain spot though.

That tag team title match was beautiful. Can't even say much else worthy of it. It had my heart racing, me pulling at my hair, screaming and fist-pumping in the air, all for the babyfaces. The Revival countering that brilliantly with their typical bastardry. Class finish. Five stars for me and even better than their first match.

Asuka v Mickie was really good I thought. Not much suspense of disbelief in terms of the result, but considering that and the fact they followed that blinder they did a great job. Good, competitive battle and the two actually gelled pretty well and brought the best out of each other with their antics. Dunno what I thought of the finish but I liked the post-match taunting from Asuka. Mickie, if she's sticking around would be great for the Raw or Smackdown mix right now. 

Main event was great, better than their first match. More intensity in this one. Must admit I'm shocked at the result, but I'm not mad at it and it was very well done, aside from them accidentally playing Joe's super shit first theme at the end, nightmare! That mistake should never be happening, that theme should be deleted off the records - I still remember how underwhelming it was at first when Joe had that awful theme and he went from an Owens feud to a Corbin one and it was really worrying. I'm as eager as anyone for Joe to move up but to become the first two time champ can only be good stuff. Nakamura to debut at Rumble? Please? #30? Storms it and wins? Ta. His entrance again here is just lovely.

Edited by sj5522

Great entrances for both Roode and Dillenger. He didn't have his shitty little laminated sheet with him while just Roode just exudes star quality. Can you imagine if he'd come in with this five years ago? CM Punk wouldn't have stood a chance of getting that title run he did. Roode was Flair-ing it up good & proper and gave Dillenger plenty while also keeping him on the back foot and getting the crowd behind Tye, who will now surely be a babyface from this point.

Was a bit gutted that AoP didn't bust out those awesome masks they had at Brooklyn.

Like I said before, it's good that they showcased some new teams in the final as opposed to a Dem Wans Dream Team. If the Tag Classic is to become annual, it could be a good vehicle to build a solid tag division.

The finish felt a little flat, but it was a decent match.

The tag title match was fantastic but I'm devastated by that result, largely down to the fact that I can't stand Johnny Gargano. I just don't find anything likeable about him and would rather that Ciampa was a vicious bastard heel. You can't go round calling yourself 'The Psycho Killer' and be a babyface. Intrigued to see who they go up against next, presumably it will be Authers of Pain, and Revival to the main roster?

Didn't think much to the women's title match. There hadn't been any real kind of build for it and I don't think it was ever really in doubt that Asuka was going to retain. It wasn't bad, there's been far worse women's matches over the years, but If I ever rewatch the show I'll skip this match.

Main event was infinitely better than last time even if Nakamura did stop selling the knees mid-match, and very suprised by the title change.

Surely they're going to go with one last match between the two at the Takeover event on Royal Rumble weekend and make it gimmick match of some type, I think a Last Man Standing match would work well.

Overall it delivered in most areas, the women's match being the only weak match in my opinion and a bit of s flat finish to the Dusty Tag Classic Final.

I said going in that it didn't have that 'must see' aura, and in hindsight that probably helped it out as it managed my expectations and the title switches had more of an effect.

8/10

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Roode's entrance was incredible. It's such a shame that he spent long wasting his career in TNA, as he's looked like an absolute megastar since coming in.

With all the talk of a big angle coming this weekend, I wonder if Nakamura is debuting on the main roster?

Yeah the result of the main event disappointed me for about 5 seconds until I clicked as to what it could mean. I've got my hopes up now. Echo the comments about the music, that's a pretty amateur gaffe to make!

Roode is just greatness isn't he? There are quite a few in NXT who seem just right there for the time being, but this man needs to be on the main roster - he actually looks like a star and has the finest robes in wrestling.

That 2/3 falls match was just brilliant, one of the matches of the year for sure.

Yea they seem to headline Takeover shows now with the same match 3 times in a row so I don't see Nakamura coming in anytime soon.

I was grinning from ear to ear from beginning to end for that tag title match.

Edited by TildeGuy~!