NXT - Post NXT Takeover discussion in progress

NEWM

I've read, somewhere in the dark reaches of the internet, that WWE may be introducing a "mid-card" title for NXT in the new year. Simply a random rumor for now, but do you think its needed at all or is the 1 singles belt enough?

I don't like it.

With plenty of emphasis of the Tag Team & Women's divisions on each show in addition to the main event feud going on, there is only enough room left for 2 other men's single feuds to be happening at the same time.

Having those other 4 singles guys wrestle each other to try and get in the NXT Title picture makes sense, but adding an extra belt isn't necessary imo.

• Paid Members

NXT doesn't need a midcard singles title. The roster is small enough that the male singles wrestlers don't need a lower hanging fruit to reach for. There's two tiers - those that are good enough to be challenging for THE BELT and those that aren't. Those in the latter tier should be competing to get into the former. Nobody needs to be recognized as king of the middle in NXT, they don't really have or need a middle. You have stars vs stars or you have stars vs Tye Dillinger or Local Talent. Plus women and tag teams, as above. That's fine. NXT is developmental, they don't need to put the guys into multiple tiers.

Looking at the men's singles matches on this year's Takeover shows: e.g. Roode vs Dillinger, Aries vs Jose, Zayn vs Nakumura etc.

They all had decent build ups and were exciting matches in their own right, the addition of a Title belt would not have made any difference.

• Paid Members

Being NXT, would it be a mid-card title. Or would it be effectively booked as a #1 contender's title like certain times in the old days of the US belt?

Nothing to do with anything but I've stopped following NXT. I read this thread but that's it. And nothing from it as stood out to me as something i need to watch for months. It's just the place where Joe, Nakamura and Roode are fucking about when they could be being brilliant on the proper roster. Watching them ponce about in front of those meffs actually irritates me.

I don't think of it in a "James Ellsworth is on Smackdown" way. More a "Kevin Owens is the fucking Raw champ" sort of way.

I found myself enjoying the idea of The Drifter going full-on supernatural in his gimmick. With Taker on the way out in the next year or so and Wyatt being too far gone, Samson would be a good fit for the relentless slow-walking ghost with moments of explosive power. A bit of Ghost Rider, and bit of It Follows, with the Johnny Cash soundtrack. And if he goes Honky with the guitar, it'd explain in a carny way how it keeps coming back without a scratch each week.

Either that or have him win the title and fuck off for months with it. "Sorry, no title shots this week. Samson's drifting again."

What a bloody good match between Joe and Dillinger that was, Tye is such a tremendous babyface, I have heard the opinion that the gimmick is limited to full sail mongs and the smart crowds but I honestly don't think so, I believe it could work on the main roster. I picture him on Smackdown feuding with Miz for the IC title, an absolute clear defined face/heel dynamic, Miz is stellar at being a bastard and Tye makes me want to hug him and tell him everything will be ok when he sells. He needs to stop holding that laminated 10 sign but apart from a couple of minor tweaks like that I really think he can jump up. Boy Joe looks motivated these days, what a tragedy if he does not get up and mix it with Owens/AJ/Lesnar/Rollins/Reigns/Rusev, talk about an opportunity missed, he is on his game right now.