Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

Maybe they’ll make an interesting storyline out of it, but for now I really don’t like the idea of Number 30 being announced ahead of time for both Rumbles. It kills any mystery or excitement.

I’m far more intrigued by the other prize that was announced - “an all-expenses paid vacation to anywhere in the world." What a weird thing to announce. Hopefully it leads to some fun vignettes. Maybe Balor and Bayley have a holiday romance. Or maybe Rusev ends up getting sent to the wrong place by mistake and has a nightmare holiday where everything goes wrong. Or maybe R-Truth goes globetrotting and recreates that viral video of the bloke dancing around the world.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

True, but if you have a year where you don't have a surprise planned at #30 (and you shouldn't have one every single year in my view), then it becomes a massive disappointment when Dolph fucking Ziggler comes out and you're hoping for Samoa Joe.

The way they’ve been doing it is 2 blocks of 5 teams, 1 block consisting of Raw and the other of Smackdown, the top two from each group will face each other in the final at TLC

Raw’s standings currently are as follows - 2 points a win - 0 for a loss

Braun Strowman and Ember Moon 6

Bobby Lashley and Mickie James 6

Finn Balor and Bayley 4

Jinder Mahal and Alicia Fox 0

Natalya and Bobby Roode 0

Smsckdown Standings

The Miz and Asuka 6

AJ Styles and Charlotte 6

Jimmy Uso and Naomi 4

R-Truth and Carmella 0

Rusev and Lana 0

Theres 2 matches each left for the teams apart from Balor and Bayley and Uso and Naomi who have 1 so the top 2 teams from each group are the only ones who can mathematically win now.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Callum1993 said:

I’m really not a fan of that idea. Takes away all the mystery of who will be number 30 which to me is one of the best parts of the rumble. Should have just said the winners could each get a title shot of their choice or something. 

I'm not really into the whole mystery aspect of the number 30, as it just leads to massive expectations and disappointment. I'm a big fan of having the first match at the Rumble PPV be for the number one (loser) and number 30 (winner) spots. It even makes for a nice, easy mini storyline for TV when you have two guys battling to see who gets the coveted number 30.

• Awards Moderator
6 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I'm not really into the whole mystery aspect of the number 30, as it just leads to massive expectations and disappointment. I'm a big fan of having the first match at the Rumble PPV be for the number one (loser) and number 30 (winner) spots. It even makes for a nice, easy mini storyline for TV when you have two guys battling to see who gets the coveted number 30.

Yeah, done right, having a known number 30 should work really well. If you know that number 30 is a fan favourite underdog type, and there's loads of horrible bastards left in the ring, you know he's going to have his work cut out for him and you cheer him more. If your favourites have made it through the whole match but you know that number 30 is a monster who destroys people, you hope even more that your guy can win. You can play it that it just so happens that number 30's biggest rivals are left in the ring when he enters the match. There are lots of ways it works to an advantage.

• Paid Members

The idea of having a fixed prize for specific competitions obviously works a lot of the time, but given how the Rumble prize is already pretty well established, I'd say it sounds like they should consider varying the prize from year to year for the Mixed Tag Challenge - that, in itself, could give things a sense of mystery and anticipation. This year, it's for the 30 spots. Next year, for title shots for their respective tag belts with partners of their choice (could do a whole storyline where both of them choose partners, but then gradually come to realise they much prefer teaming with their mixed partner)?