Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

In a game where the wrestlers can be big enough marks to get their title win dates inked on themselves, this kind of emulation is sadly predictable isnt it?

This! I mean we all know that titles are passed around like a puppy in a primary school. So why on earth you would tattoo the date that the boss decided you could win the belt is beyond me. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

This! I mean we all know that titles are passed around like a puppy in a primary school. So why on earth you would tattoo the date that the boss decided you could win the belt is beyond me. 

I'm sure they said Riott Squad all got matching tattoos of the date of their main roster debut. 

The saddest thing is it's virtually impossible to get the sack these days. There's people on the roster now who have been there 8-10 years and done fuck all. In 10 years time Riott Squad will probably be in the Hall of Fame. I can see 80% of the current roster going in based on longevity alone. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

I'm sure they said Riott Squad all got matching tattoos of the date of their main roster debut. 

Full blown Clattenburgs.

I’m sure the Riott Squad all spent their whole lives working towards one goal which was to become WWE Superstars and AJ Lee probably spent her whole life working to become the WWE Women’s/Divas Champion.

So for them to achieve that one huge goal that most normal people have no chance of achieving is a huge deal in their lives.

I don’t see that as being any sillier than the reasons other people - probably including a few people in this topic criticising them - get tattoos (partner’s name, some squiggly lines, name of a band, etc.)

11 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Because the vast majority who become wrestlers were huge fans as kids, and "winning" a title is a dream they've probably had as a kid, isn't it? 

Aren't those the types of wrestlers the fans love? As opposed to the money-hungry business types likes Nash and Hogan?

People don’t love Nash? Everyone loves Big Sexy. And fair play to Nash for treating it for exactly what it is, a business. Yeah Hogan outed himself as a racist so fuck him. 

Even indy darlings like the young bucks know the score that is why they are on raking it in whilst forgoing the need to get “2 sweet” tattooed onto them. 

• Paid Members

I think people love big Kev because of how honest he is about it, rather than him pretending how much he loves wrestling in interviews and then being the Kev we know away from it  all.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

I had a debate on this forum last week with someone about Nash, and I've seen him slated by the "neckbeard" types many times as someone who has "no love" for the business.

A lot of the guys in the wrestling business are just neckbeard dweebs with muscles and a tan, so seeing some of them get tattoos to commemorate title wins doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

• Paid Members

I don't love Nash, but it's nothing to do with his business approach. He's certainly a very cool guy, very funny, and clearly intelligent, but I've just not been entertained by the overwhelming majority of his matches - in fairness, I haven't seen anywhere near as many as I probably should have by now, but what I have seen, I didn't really get the big deal about. I'm not asking that he does moonsaults or Space Tiger Flying Pescados, but I have legitimately been entertained by more Big Show, Andre, and Khali matches than I have Nash's (although in the case of Khali, it was because he was being carried, to be fair). Also, the only time I enjoyed his work outside matches was the Paparazzi Promotions in TNA thingy. 

In essence, for me he's a lot like Cena: he's obviously excellent at what he does, but he's ultimately not for me. Be that as it may, I daresay my opinions would most likely change if I made a concerted effort to watch his back catalogue, but it's not on my priorities list.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I don't love Nash, but it's nothing to do with his business approach. He's certainly a very cool guy, very funny, and clearly intelligent, but I've just not been entertained by the overwhelming majority of his matches - in fairness, I haven't seen anywhere near as many as I probably should have by now, but what I have seen, I didn't really get the big deal about. I'm not asking that he does moonsaults or Space Tiger Flying Pescados, but I have legitimately been entertained by more Big Show, Andre, and Khali matches than I have Nash's (although in the case of Khali, it was because he was being carried, to be fair). Also, the only time I enjoyed his work outside matches was the Paparazzi Promotions in TNA thingy. 

In essence, for me he's a lot like Cena: he's obviously excellent at what he does, but he's ultimately not for me. Be that as it may, I daresay my opinions would most likely change if I made a concerted effort to watch his back catalogue, but it's not on my priorities list.

41567cfe-afda-47d5-9416-30495d362011-ori

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

In essence, for me he's a lot like Cena

He fucking well isn't!

he's obviously excellent at what he does

Massively debateable.

I daresay my opinions would most likely change if I made a concerted effort to watch his back catalogue

It wouldn't. Nash is a great storyteller but his ring-work, unless facing Bret or Shawn, is 99% pointless (and effortless). He was a cool on-screen character for the initial nWo run and later in TNA but having recently watched WCW from November 1999, his promo work and, ahem, comedy, makes everything John Cena has ever done look like The Rock on The Rock's best day.

• Paid Members
Just now, tiger_rick said:

He fucking well isn't!

Emphasis on "for me". Sorry man, but Cena isn't for me, and I don't think he's meant to be. He's definitely one of the best in world, but his character and booking have consistently left me uninterested over the years. As a person, he comes across as ace, as a worker, he's immensely appreciable from a professional perspective (and certainly from how he's inspired people over the years), but as a character, I find him shit, annoying, disingenuous, and boring. Got sick of seeing him always on top, and am not bothered about him now.

That said, I have in the past thoroughly enjoyed more of his matches than I have Nash's.

Massively debateable.

True, but then I guess it depends what we mean by "what he does". In his case, it's his own purported mission statement to make as much money from wrestling as possible, for as little effort as possible, and he's certainly been very good at that.

It wouldn't. Nash is a great storyteller but his ring-work, unless facing Bret or Shawn, is 99% pointless (and effortless). He was a cool on-screen character for the initial nWo run and later in TNA but having recently watched WCW from November 1999, his promo work and, ahem, comedy, makes everything John Cena has ever done look like The Rock on The Rock's best day.

Fair enough. I'll take your word for it; you've seen way more than I have.