Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I would put Sid in a category all alone. He is peerless. No one had a more badass, nutcase aura, all the while not being very good at punching. I could watch him ramble bollocks and destroy jobbers all day, every day. 

1 minute ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I completely agree -  intense and cool as fuck - just look at his entrance at Survivors 1996.

I'm being honest, Sid was always a big favourite of mines. He was limited, yes, but what he did he did very fucking well. Was very believable as an unhinged monster in his day.

1 minute ago, David said:

I'm being honest, Sid was always a big favourite of mines. He was limited, yes, but what he did he did very fucking well. Was very believable as an unhinged monster in his day.

Is right.

Does anyone know the ECW show he turned up in and the fans went batshit? Always wanted to see that.

He was just a legit looking dude with a terrific gimmick. He was perfectly suited to it. 

I recall him being touted for the role as CM Punk's bodyguard during the Straight Edge Society deal, and they eventually went with Gallows. Sid would have been awesome in that role.

• Paid Members

That ECW PPV where Sid comes out and murders Spike Dudley is an odd one. 

You'd think the ECW faithful would have booed the non work rate giant out the building, but they loved the bastard. Screams of joy and jubilance as LSD is hurled around the ring. 

Probably says more about them than him, though. 

• Paid Members

Early 90s Sid is one of the best looks in the history of wrestling. If it wasn't for that last WCW run, I think I'd be sky high on Sid. Always enjoyed him smashing jobbers. Loved him chucking that heel Hogan out of the 92 Rumble. Had a poster of "Sycho" on my bedroom wall. He was the man. Until 99.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

That ECW PPV where Sid comes out and murders Spike Dudley is an odd one. 

You'd think the ECW faithful would have booed the non work rate giant out the building, but they loved the bastard. Screams of joy and jubilance as LSD is hurled around the ring. 

Probably says more about them than him, though. 

New York/Philadelphia crowds always fuckiing loved Sid, and with good reason. Besides, ECW wasn't really about 'workrate' - the biggest baby face was Tommy Dreamer. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, gmoney said:

New York/Philadelphia crowds always fuckiing loved Sid, and with good reason. Besides, ECW wasn't really about 'workrate' - the biggest baby face was Tommy Dreamer. 

Yeah I worded that wrong. Work rate really isn't the right descriptor. 

I'm looking at it from the point that Sid was this cartoony monster figure from the WWF where the Dustmen and Pig Farmers played.

Still, that's probably how I just had him pegged at that point. As Cartoony as the WWF was at the time, Sid could slot in during any era and not look out of place. Which in itself is a huge plus and testament to the great man. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

Screams of joy and jubilance as LSD is hurled around the ring. 

Bloody hell! It's only just hit me why his finisher was called the "Acid Drop", and that "Little Spike Dudley" was "LSD". I knew the Dudleys' ECW gimmick was that they were basically a gang of pillheads, but I didn't notice the Spike thing until you posted that abbreviation.