Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

11 minutes ago, D@mm said:

I reckon Mene Gene or King Kong Bundy would be good choices to induct Hillbilly Jim.

Fairly unrelated but I was about to make a sarcastic comment about it being difficult to get Bundy to do it but thankfully I checked his Wikipedia to discover he's actually alive.

What the fuck? I was convinced he's dead. What's he up to?

Happy that ol' Hillbilly is going in but what's really starting to grate on me is the comments section on WWE's social media channels when they make these HOF announcements, always a mix of calls for Chyna, Owen, Christian or Benoit or the odd numbskull commenting 'who dis?'

1 hour ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

Happy that ol' Hillbilly is going in but what's really starting to grate on me is the comments section on WWE's social media channels when they make these HOF announcements, always a mix of calls for Chyna, Owen, Christian or Benoit or the odd numbskull commenting 'who dis?'

I saw some saying it should be AJ Lee going in instead in the comments

• Paid Members

Bundy is part of the class action, can’t see it being him.

Same with Mark Canterbury, but like I said above, they could use Dennis Knight I suppose? He did manage the Godwins after all.

It'll probs be mean gene or slaughter though.

• Paid Members

Hosting it in Chicago will certainly fuel those CM Punk rumours. 

Do people think they’ll get All In streamed online or on PPV? Dipping my toe into NJPW and ROH, I’ve fallen in love with these guys. Marty Scurll singing “Complicated,” over a video montage of them all looking sad and confused might be my promo of the year.

Cody has overachieved like a fucking champion since WWE. It’s unreal.

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Cody has overachieved like a fucking champion since WWE. It’s unreal.

To link the two current discussions somewhat - I remember saying to a mate back when Cody & Dustin inducted their old man into the Hall of Fame back whenever it was (WM21 weekend?) that you could tell he had inherited enough of Dusty's gift of gab to do alright for himself.

• Paid Members

Cody is an example of what utter bollocks the whole "brass ring" concept is, really. Free from Vince's imposing creative decisions, he's blossomed into a bit of a draw, which is what it's about. I'm not a massive fan of his work, but it's undeniable he's managed to get a lot of people on board with his schtick and his decision to walk away was inspired and inspiring (I assume).

• Paid Members

I always thought Cody was a solid hand. He had decent runs under both the Dashing and Disfigured gimmicks and was always good in the ring. His voice might be a bit monotonous, but he could still deliver a promo well. I remember when he split from Sandow he was quite hot and the crowd were behind him. Then he formed that excellent tag team with Goldust and they had some cracking bouts with the likes of The Shield, but after that he was lumbered with that Stardust gimmick (which to his credit he also pulled off well, all things considering).

I reckon that could've been a good time to test the waters with him near the top of the card, rather than the Stardust thing, I mean why the hell not? They'd given the likes of Dolph, Jack Swagger and Del Rio plenty of chances in a world title programme by that point. No harm in just sticking him in a programme for a month or two to see how he got on. He was one of the few that had a genuine babyface look about him too.

9 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Is Cody any good? Since he left I've only seen him in TNA and he was still the same tedious bastard he's been all decade.

Yeah, he’s not bad from what I’ve seen of him, if anything he’s improved so much more on his personality and character.