Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

It was as good a photo as I could find for a comparison. I do agree that he is definately a bit smaller, but if anything I think he looks more defined and whatever it is that a 'natural' Lesnar would look like. He could be retaining whatever actual muscle he has and is losing whatever roid-bulk was there

Yeah, I think you’re probably right. I think he’s off whatever ‘regimen’ he was on before, whilst still looking athletic. I think it is noteworthy, though, if for no other reason that it supports the idea that he might be jumping ship to the land of piss tests and weight cuts.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Glen Ruth for God's sake. 

What's wrong with Glen Ruth? He was a decet wrestlers who'd been around for a while. He may be a great trainer, Larry Sharpe certainly seems to be.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

What's wrong with Glen Ruth? He was a decet wrestlers who'd been around for a while. He may be a great trainer, Larry Sharpe certainly seems to be.

Howay. He was half decent at best, in a tag team that were half decent at best. He’d been about a bit but he was still a bit shit.

As far as him being a trainer goes, he trained 3 people, one is big show, one is Brandi Alexander and the other is Mosh.

I was well in to the headbangers, absolutely loved the gimmick at that age, but that had nowt to do with Thrasher and how good he was. Even then you could tell he was a bit shit.

I’ll agree with you about Larry Sharpe though.

• Moderators

Idf thioase are the only thre wrestled he trained (which is quite unlikely, as opposed to the only three mentioned on wikipedia) he evidently is a decent trainer then as Mosh is decent enough, Brandi Alexander isn't absolute dogshit, and Big Show is fucking great. And he was the worker of the Headbangers who were a good enough working team from 96-99. You're being unfair.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Maybe I am, but they weren’t great, very average with a fun gimmick. Without the gimmick and as singles you’re talking jobbers if you’re also gonna be fair. Brandi got about, but again, didn’t stun the world, and Mosh again, was canny basic in the scheme of things. I suppose what I’m getting at is when Big Show was on form, he was indeed very good, so I’m surprised he was taught by Ruth, who I see as very average. I imagine that Larry ran the training and Ruth was his hand.

Its interesting now you’ve brought it up though, because there aren’t many wrestlers I perceive as being very average, but really enjoyed watching as a total package. Honestly, maybe I’m in the minority and maybe I’m being unfair, I dunno, but he was very average in my eyes, but I enjoyed watching him/them. 

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members

Those Brock pics are super interesting. He looks like a UFC fighter planning on putting his name back into the USADA testing pool rather than a blown up WWE wrestler with a loophole where he never gets drug tested. 

Brock vs. Roman is going to get the Brock vs. Goldberg at Wrestlemania 20 treatment, if they’re not careful.

Edited by Supremo

With big show, remember post training he was then straight away in the ring with top guys, so very easy for him to pick up really good habits early in his career than doing all the stuff lower card guys do. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

With big show, remember post training he was then straight away in the ring with top guys, so very easy for him to pick up really good habits early in his career than doing all the stuff lower card guys do. 

Don’t get me wrong, he’ll have picked up a load of knowledge from Larry and Butch could be right, maybe some from Ruth too, but you’re bang on here. They saw money in him from day one, of course they did and rightly so. Chuck him in their with the likes of Hogan from the start, who had a vested interest in making him good and teaching him the trade, he was Hogans next Andre and was never really going to threaten his spot (at that point). 

What im interested in knowing which I’ve never heard about.. was he potentially only seen as Hogans latest Giant to squash, ala Quake, Bundy etc? 

If the nWo hadn’t have happened when it did, how would Show have faired as the heel giant in a declining face hogan world? Especially after Hogan had eventually moved on to someone else.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Louch said:

At the same time, he's spoken a lot about how many bad habits he had in-ring before going to the WWF because he was rushed into a top spot so quickly, and how Undertaker would berate him about everything he was doing wrong.

As much as you can point to what good shape he was in, and how athletic he was, in WCW, I can't think of a single great Giant match - you remember cool moves he did, rather than a good match. I think they saw money in him straight away and rushed him on to TV, and into the main event, well before he was ready. Psychology-wise, and in terms of protecting his size, he never should have been doing half the stuff he was.

Hell, I mentioned recently that I'd watched Fall Brawl '92 - when he interferes at the end of the Wargames match, they give him stereotypical "Giant" offence in just choking out Hogan then "snapping his neck", as if he's a barely mobile lug, but he's leaping over the top rope to get into the ring, then again to get into the second ring. He seemed to do an awful lot of stuff just because he could.

1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

What im interested in knowing which I’ve never heard about.. was he potentially only seen as Hogans latest Giant to squash, ala Quake, Bundy etc? 

I think Hogan probably saw more money in him long-term than that - even as late as Big Show's foray into boxing, it was Hogan pushing him in that direction, so I think he probably saw him as a star and a cash cow, and just wanted to be in at the ground level making sure that whatever money the Giant was making, Hogan was a part of it.

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Those Brock pics are super interesting. He looks like a UFC fighter planning on putting his name back into the USADA testing pool rather than a blown up WWE wrestler with a loophole where he never gets drug tested. 

Brock vs. Roman is going to get the Brock vs. Goldberg at Wrestlemania 20 treatment, if they’re not careful.

Yeah, that’s what i’ve been saying since Monday.

They’re making a booking assumption equivalent to ‘my enemy’s enemy is my friend’, which is insanity. It might well work in a few small towns on the road to Mania, but in front of that crowd they’ll just decide that their enemy’s enemy is someone else to chant ‘you can’t wrestle’ at.

What’s crazy is not that WWE don’t get that that simplistic psychology doesn’t really work on its audiences anymore, it’s that they don’t realise that their own booking decisions helped erode that understand of faces and heels in wrestling. Your actions don’t define you necessarily (think Austin stunning other faces left, right and centre) so much as your actions are defined by the audiences perception of them. Which is a tough ship to sail. In 2018, audiences don’t see Roman as a hero just because Brock is a villain. Their preconceptions of Reigns will remain, only they won’t care about his opponent either.

If they’re deadset on Brock/Roman as a 1-on-1, and not going to wobble at the last minute and chuck a fan favourite in, I’m utterly convinced they’ll at least lose a little nerve and try and get Rock/Austin/Hogan etc in as special referee. Exactly like Brock/Goldie.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

I always wonder how the WWE would handle fan dissent if they chose to have some strength in their convictions and protest properly. It’s easy for the announcers/talent to dismiss chants as the fans just wanting to ‘have fun’ and engaging with the product on their terms; it’d be way more difficult if, during a Roman Reigns match say, the fans turned their back. “Isn’t this great Corey, the fans here in Bumtickle, Iowa having fun...watching the back of each other’s heads...”

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, Jon-Carr_92 said:

You do have to wonder how that crowd would have been like if Stone Cold wasn't the ref.

Exactly the same, but without the cheering whenever Stone Cold flipped the bird or gave them stunners at the end. That crowd was absolutely toxic. The only crowd I can think of that was probably worse (in terms of resentment toward both competitors) was Cena VS Orton at the Royal Rumble a few years ago.