Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I don't think it's just that he posed in a Bullet Club photo, it's more that he posed in a Bullet Club photo, during a mock anti-WWE "invasion" of Raw, during an on-going cease-and-desist argument, using their hashtag to make it look like he supported them...

34 minutes ago, Big Benny HG said:

I don't think it's just that he posed in a Bullet Club photo, it's more that he posed in a Bullet Club photo, during a mock anti-WWE "invasion" of Raw, during an on-going cease-and-desist argument, using their hashtag to make it look like he supported them...

Still a bit harsh though, I mean do the casual fans even know who Jimmy Jacobs is ? It's not like it was bloody Roman or Cena and millions of fans saw and retweeted it.

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

Still a bit harsh though, I mean do the casual fans even know who Jimmy Jacobs is ? It's not like it was bloody Roman or Cena and millions of fans saw and retweeted it.

Which makes you wonder why he bothered doing it?

Just now, tiger_rick said:

Which makes you wonder why he bothered doing it?

Why not ? It's Twitter and they're his mates. Balor and AJ have done similar things in the past and nobody gave a shit... Yeah I get that the timing wasn't the best but pull him in the office for a bolocking, don't sack the poor bloke.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Love-Wilcox said:

I think that's probably partly the problem. If Roman or Cena did it, it'd have sailed over most fans' heads, but pretty much every wan of Jacobs' followers would have been aware of the whole Bullet Club / Young Bucks deal and would make noise about it. A storm in a teacup, either way, but for a big main roster star (even Balor or AJ) that's one teacup out of a whole tea set. Jacobs only has one cup, and it hath run over. I may have overextended the teacup metaphor there, but I stand by it. Point is, if Jacobs tweets it, the people who care about this sort of thing are the only ones who see it, but for someone else, you're also getting a load of 'don't know/don't care' types, thereby making it less of a thing. Maybe.

• Paid Members

I figured when Jacobs posted that photo that he would be in for a bollocking, but that's a bit much.

I'm of the opposite opinion as to the difference between Jacobs doing it and someone like Reigns or Cena doing it; if Cena has however many 100s of 1000s of followers, and they see him posing with Bullet Club, even a few hundred of them going, "oh, what's this all about then?" causes problems. I can't imagine there's anyone who's following Jimmy Jacobs on Instagram who doesn't already know who Bullet Club are.

What's irritating about it is that it's created an obvious, built-in angle for Jacobs to join Bullet Club, when I'd much rather see him go back to being one of the best character workers on the indies, rather than getting lumped in with that lot.

I'm all for a return of The Barbaric Berzerker, I'd fell out with wrestling by the time he was doing the weird Emo thing, but tiny Jimmy thinking he was Bruiser Brody was one of my favourite parts of early ROH.

Wasn't the rumour abound that he was only hired because Trips wanted to poach a bunch of ROH guys, specifically Lethal and the Briscoes? If that was the case he did alright to keep a job as long as he did.

• Paid Members

I wasn't aware Jacobs came up with the List of Jericho. Anything else he's been credited with? Was he writing Raw or Smackdown?

Nick Jackson tweeted Daniel Bryan today saying they should take a photo together, too. I laughed. 

Do people think we'll ever see the Young Bucks in WWE? Has this burned the bridge for life?

11 hours ago, Supremo said:

I wasn't aware Jacobs came up with the List of Jericho. Anything else he's been credited with? Was he writing Raw or Smackdown?

Nick Jackson tweeted Daniel Bryan today saying they should take a photo together, too. I laughed. 

Do people think we'll ever see the Young Bucks in WWE? Has this burned the bridge for life?

No way. If anything, Vince loves it when he can bring in his enemies, it's like a personal victory. If he'll bring in Bischoff, he'll bring in anyone.

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Wasn't the rumour abound that he was only hired because Trips wanted to poach a bunch of ROH guys, specifically Lethal and the Briscoes? If that was the case he did alright to keep a job as long as he did.

Not heard that personally - I can't imagine there are many guys working ROH who wouldn't come running as soon as Triple H called, but for whom "Jimmy Jacobs works here now!" would be a dealbreaker.

When Jacobs was first hired, apparently he was tasked with making NXT feel like a separate brand to WWE, and to try and indie up the production and kinds of storytelling they used, rather than it just being WWE on a smaller scale. Presumably he ended up on Smackdown after the draft, when a few of the NXT producers got "called up" to main roster duty.

While I'm sure he was a great writer, it was disappointing not being able to see him as a performer any more, as I was always a big fan of his. Hopefully he can have a bit of resurgence if he returns to the indies, and make a decent living outside of WWE - I hope he doesn't just join Bullet Club, as that's a waste of his talents. I figured WWE would never use him as a wrestler, as he's 5' nothing, but he's a superb performer, great talker, and has a great look, so I'd hoped they would use him as a manager at some point.

Edited by BomberPat

Was trying to recall where I heard that, and I remembered it was from a Madden column in the Torch, so was probably just Madden being an uppity prick. The story was that Jacobs was there to convince guys that NXT was the land of milk and honey and that WWE were serious about changing up. 

Also Jimmy's only 33 so if he can get back in ring shape, he'd be a great hand with a few years left in him.

Edited by BrodyGraham

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I figured WWE would never use him as a wrestler, as he's 5' nothing, but he's a superb performer, great talker, and has a great look, so I'd hoped they would use him as a manager at some point.

I don't think height really matters anymore, it seems like every bugger in NXT these days is barely over 5 foot.

Edited by The King of Old School

On 12 October 2017 at 1:53 PM, Ralphy said:

Could be that they where just looking for a good excuse to get rid of him and they found one with this incident. Its a shame as he came up with the List of jericho gimmick and im sure the pay was probably good too, hopefully he can make a killing on the indys 

Puts me in mind of when they released Brad Maddox for saying "cocky pricks" in a house show or dark match promo. He seemed to go long periods without being used by that point anyway and that seemed an excuse to get rid of him.