The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

My pals in Byker Grave Bookings are currently working to put as many of the bands as possible on in Newcastle over the weekend so it's not a total loss!

Thanks for the heads up on that, I've taken a look and I'll keep an eye on who they bag as a couple of names might get me up there if I can bag a cheap hotel.

It feels like there's more metal festivals than ever this year, or it did until half of them have seemingly cancelled or had major drama surrounding them.

The new Portayal of Guilt album came out today and fuck me it's good, blistering blackened post-hardcore.

Ā 

The thing with all these festival cancellations is you've got promoters jumping in at the deep end putting on two and three day events, then cancelling or postpoining two and three times due to poor ticket sales and then wondering why when they try and run it again nobody trusts them enough to buy an advance ticket. Then the cheek of some of the comments and posts I'm seeing about Manorfest and Dominion saying it's the fans responsibility to buy tickets and skipping over the fact that these wannabe promoters think they're Live Nation and are running before they can walk.

It's almost like the promoters ignored the fact that the likes of Bloodstock and Damnation started as small events and then progressed to something bigger after many years and having established a strong fan base that trusts they won't fuck it up. The replacement shows that Byker Grave are putting on are either sold out or close to selling out so it's not like the audience isn't there, it's just folk can't afford to get fucked over again by promoters with ideas above their station.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I listened to the new Metallica album yesterday on my travels. People had been likening it to St Anger (my favourite Metallica album. I know, bring back downvotes), but if anything it sounds like stuff that wasn't country enough to make it onto Load & Reload, and some songs that sppear to have been written by an AI which has been trained by listening to everything Metallica ever did. It's got that same production sound like everything has too much compression on it from Hardwired to Self Destruct, occasionally it almost threatens to break into something resembling thrash metal as described down the phone, but mostly hovers sounds like their 90s output. It wants to be the Black album in places, but I think Threeload is a more appropriate title than 72 Seasons. It's not for me, Clive.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

St Anger (my favourite Metallica album

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard anyone say thatā€™s their favourite album. Everyoneā€™s entitled to their opinion and thatā€¦ but why? The Some Kind of Monster documentary is the only good thing to come from St Anger imo.Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, TheBurningRed said:

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever heard anyone say thatā€™s their favourite album. Everyoneā€™s entitled to their opinion and thatā€¦ but why? The Some Kind of Monster documentary is the only good thing to come from St Anger imo.Ā 

There's just raw emotion there, like they're working some stuff out through that album. The stuff with Lars's drum sound can grate a bit, but there's a harmonic thing he's trying to do with it. It fails miserably, but he's trying something different. I also maintain that if it'd come out when Load came out it would have been heralded as them showing they can hang with Slipknot, Korn etc and they were going "nu metal" based on the general sound and style. Some Kind Of Monster is an interesting movie, hilarious in places.

For me, St Anger seemed to be a result of Nu Metal being so big at the time and Metallica trying to keep up with the times. They probably saw how grunge killed off the LA Rock scene a decade before (albeit temporarily) and experimented with St Anger to try and ā€œstay relevantā€. I didnā€™t hate the album but itā€™s definitely not my favourite of theirs.

Iā€™ve thought that most of the final third of the album isnā€™t horrendous (Purify aside, thatā€™s awful), but you have to wade through a lot of bad stuff to get to that.

Ive probably listened to 72 Seasons more times than I did Hardwiredā€¦To Self-Destruct already. There are parts of it that I really like, parts that Iā€™m ok with and other parts where youā€™re left scratching your head, but Iā€™ve come to expect that thatā€™s just how Metallica are these days. Theyā€™re the biggest Metal band in the world, they answer only to themselves and at least theyā€™re trying different ideas at times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it falls flat on its face, but at least theyā€™re willing to give it a go.Ā 
Iā€™ll still listen to them over MegaDave any dayĀ 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I can understand someone thinking St. Anger gets a bad rep and that it's better than what the general consensus makes out, but for it to be their favourite of all the records is absolutely mental to me!

To me, they seem to be like the Foo Fighters of metal. They're so big that they don't need to bothering trying to make great albums anymore. They could release something genuinely amazing, but people would still rather hear the older classic stuff. No matter what they release, it'll go top ten and they'll do a massive stadium tour off the back of it. The records are just an excuse to tour where they'll be making the biggest chunk of money.

I remember me and Egg saying how a bands album may be your favourite not because of the quality of music but because it takes you back to a point in your life that was joyous. It may have been the first album you heard by a band that grew to be a huge part of your life so it holds a special place in your heart.Ā 

• Paid Members

St Anger is pretty average but ā€œThe Unknown Feelingā€ song from that album was one of my Metallica favouritesĀ 

Iā€™ve not listened to the new album yet, looking forward to giving it a spinĀ