The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So apparently Download is suffering similar traffic problems to what Slam Dunk did a few weeks ago, with miles of tailbacks reported (some estimate them to be about 8 miles).

It seems odd for them to suddenly develop this problem having run the same site year in year out for 20 years. Either they changed something they shouldn’t have or they’ve underestimated how much of a draw Metallica still are

14 hours in a car yesterday for a 3 hour journey.

Got onto disabled camping at 2am, people still arriving at 4/5am. Fucking horrific.

Luckily nothing was dampening my mood so that worked perfect to keep my spirits up.

It’s been doing the rounds for a couple of weeks, but as you say it’s now getting picked up by the bigger English speaking outlets. It all started with someone making an accusation on Reddit, which seemed to implicate Joe Letz (drummer in Lindermann) more than Lindermann himself, but others have come forward since.
Is it odd that he hasn’t at least being brought in for questioning?

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Got onto disabled camping at 2am, people still arriving at 4/5am. Fucking horrific.

Luckily nothing was dampening my mood so that worked perfect to keep my spirits up.

Hope today improved for you! I had no issues getting in today. I’m at a hotel 20mins away and it literally took that time to get to the South Car Park and drive straight into the Access area. I read about the long queue for Access wristbands too but it was less than 10mins. Guess I got lucky.

Highlights of today for me were The Bronx, Alter Bridge, Skindred and Metallica.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Merzbow said:

In better industrial metal news, the new Godflesh album is out today and it's a bit of a return to the dub influenced era which I prefer. Still crushingly heavy but it's got that sick groove through many of the songs.

I'll have some of that

• Paid Members
On 6/9/2023 at 3:08 AM, Monkee said:

Hope today improved for you! I had no issues getting in today. I’m at a hotel 20mins away and it literally took that time to get to the South Car Park and drive straight into the Access area. I read about the long queue for Access wristbands too but it was less than 10mins. Guess I got lucky.

Highlights of today for me were The Bronx, Alter Bridge, Skindred and Metallica.

I'm not even physically broken, I just don't exist anymore.

I went to Download on Thursday and Saturday only. Was only really interested in Metallica. The organisers definitely over subscribed this year. I’ve been to a lot of Downloads and that was by far the busiest I’d seen. Having said that, I still enjoyed it overall and I’m glad I went.

On 6/8/2023 at 4:50 PM, Shy Dad said:

Seen people who worked the fest stating they wont work it again after the mess. Supposedly there were people who didnt know their ass from their elbow running the carparks this year, and when they screwed it up they bailed because they were unmanageable. After being the cause of that in the first place. This would explain why there were such bad issues getting in this year. Took our lot 5 and a half hours to get from Birmingham New Street, where friends picked us up, to the site. Access was a shitshow this year too, so many issues. When we arrived to access camp b there were 4 portaloos.. 4 toilets for a massively overfilled space. I mean we had to get people to move to make room for our small tents, and this was before 6. They allocated these spaces yet there wasnt anywhere near enough space for the numbers. They later brought another 4 portaloos. Buggies for the more severely disabled weren't provided as they claimed they would be. Staff told me there were barely any buggies allocated to access at all, and the over the whole weekend i never saw a single one servicing camp b. Now while i dont require that unless i'm having a really bad day, many do daily in order to cope with a festival of that size. And that's under normal conditions and not the oven it ended up being. Platforms were poorly managed, and the main stage one pushed way back into a corner. There's a shocking amount of reports out there regarding disability top trumps and staff questioning punters about not being disabled enough etc (despite the fact to gain access to those facilities you need to prove that). Useless security staff not even trying to help people on mobility scooters etc. Amusingly Download claim to be "the most accessible festival in the UK" because they won some award for it years ago. They're not even close... 

I did have fun, but wow. Managed to pick these up too! 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by truthofsin

We travelled down by coach so avoided the car park drama thankfully, but we heard and read many horror stories over the course of the weekend.  One positive sign is for next year they've already announced that car parking will need to be booked in advance (so you can't just turn up on the day as has been the case historically) and everyone will be assigned to a specific car park rather than the free for all it turned into this year.  So as long as they stick to that (which isn't a guarantee given the staff seem completely clueless) it should hopefully make things smoother for next year. 

On the access front, we even commented between ourselves how shoddy the setup looked for those with disabilities.  The position main of the msin stage access area was a complete joke, and the second stage one was so small we saw rows of wheelchair users lined up on the gravel at the top of the hill as they couldn't all fit into the area.  Completely unacceptable given they would have known exactly how many access passes they'd issued well in advance of the festival.